Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects THE OUTSIDER COUPE BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ddpecka348, May 14, 2014.

1. ddpecka348

ddpecka348

The story of this 60s style coupe build has a lot of twists and turns and hopefully it catches some peoples attention. While building up a 1937 Plymouth Gasser when I was about 14 years old a buddy of mine exposed me to the HAMB and since that point in time there was no going back. I started becoming more and more into the 20s-50s cars unlike all the rest of my buddies who of course loved all that newer shit. So, I began tracking down cars off of hear-say and leads to the "holy grail" of finds, in car terms. I started finding your common cars and of course got shut down and picked up little pieces here and there and finding more and more and it hasn't stopped yet. During that time my main car I hoped to find was like most anyone else into hot rods, either a Model A Coupe, a 32 , or a 33-34. I didn't try to hard to find one until near the end of my senior year of high school. I had found two previously but they weren't for sale. So I went to look at a couple with a few different buddies and they weren't the greatest deals so I passed. In a last ditch effort we stopped in Gibbon, Nebraska were I had recently spotted a yard in town with a bunch of old pickup cabs. We stopped in and looked around and bought some pretty good parts for pretty damn cheap. Before we left I asked if he knew anyone with a Model A Coupe body for sale, he told me his son had two and one would probably be for sale. Long story short I bought it for $1500. It was in two pieces one half was made into a roadster and the other was a pickup made from a coupe. Got it home sat it on a frame and started collecting parts to fix the body and all the chassis parts. But this isn't what I'm building now this one is waiting its turn in line after I finish The Outsider Coupe. After starting college at Southeast Community College for Precision Machining and Automation, I got a call from a close friend of mine who I tried buying a coupe from before I bought the one in Gibbon. I wondered why I hadn't seen him for a year or two and he told me he had got cancer... and was wondering if I was still interested in the old Model A Coupe he had. Shortly after checking if I had the funds I finally responded and went to take a look at the coupe. After walking around and bullshiting we finally discussed a price and my plans for the build. He gave me a hell of a deal on the coupe and I couldn't pass on it. The next week we loaded it up and paid the man his money and took it home and started making a plan for attack.

2. ddpecka348

ddpecka348

This was the first coupe I mentioned, the two piece coupe.
    252697_10151881002735357_819386408_n.jpg 425083_10151881000370357_1429838432_n.jpg 7.jpeg

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  3. ddpecka348

ddpecka348

How the Outsider Coupe was resting. 4.jpeg 10.jpeg 11.jpeg

4. ddpecka348

ddpecka348

5. KKrod

KKrod

Congratulations on your find.

6. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Looking like a great start man

7. hallrods

hallrods

What's your plan for the Outsider Coupe?

8. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Great start to the build thread. ..don't stop now.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Looking good guys, keep going!!

10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Any updates, please let there be updates.

11. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Looks like a good start Darrin, I still need to make it out your way,, Tim Jones