Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Other Flame Styles: Chunky Flames, Thick Flames, Von Dutch-Style Flames..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasSpeed, Oct 6, 2012.

1. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Then they just would never get it. Some of these flames are crude and not appealing, I do agree with that. However, it's very possible to make early flames look good if you put some thought into it. My A will have early flames and I CANNOT wait to get to that point. But not everyone digs them and I respect that. I build my cars for myself and not to please anyone else. I had a similar experience like yours a while ago.

When my dad was still around, we always went to our car club meetings and hung out with his friends. Well, I went to my old car club's meeting a few months ago. They asked what I was building and when I told them about my Model A project and that I was using a '39 Ford 3-speed, they all looked at me dumbfound and said "You need to stick a turbo 350 in there."

I said I was using Firestone 5.50x16s and 7.50x16s on '40-'48 Ford wheels and they looked at me weird and said "You need to put some BF Goodrich Radial T/As with some American Racing wheels on there."

Then I said I was using an early 283 and they looked at me like I was dumb and said "What's wrong with a 350? They make more power.."

It was kind of depressing seeing a bunch of old-timers criticize me for wanting to stick with the very ingredients that made a hot rod back in their day. Some guys just don't get it and never will.

Oh, and those people calling your car a "Mexican clown car?" They don't get what a tasteful mild custom is. They sound like the same ones who have matching fold-out chairs with their last name embroidered in them and crybaby dolls or muscle car nuts who's trying to compensate. They can stick with their street rods. I'll stick with my early flames. :)

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I discovered some, er, 'traditional' or, uh, 'old school' flames on a Model A cowl I just bought last night.

Here's some, uh, 'primitive rustic' flames for ya ;)

[​IMG]

3. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Came across another one! Bump..

[​IMG]