Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Orr Trophies

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Nov 6, 2009.

1. studematt

studematt

Anyone know what ever happen to them later in life.

2. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Ryan, do you or anyone else have a larger version of this pic?

3. chevsen

chevsen

Does anyone know the address of the original shop?

4. According to the letter I have, in 1949 the shop was located at 11140 Washington Place, Culver City, California.

Mick

Attached Files:

5. junk fiend

junk fiend

wow thanks for the history behind that classic photo

6. catdad49

catdad49

The roadster sure has a great profile. I believe that top adds something to the overall look, kinda like dressing up to go to town. Just my thoughts!!

7. L.A-Bar

L.A-Bar
    from Florida

In 1971 I opened a short-lived, ill-fated speed shop in Newhall. One afternoon an attractive older women stopped by and said she was from the local water district. Ho hum. Then she introduced herself..."Im Veda Orr." Wow! I told her I knew all about her and Karl; she said for me to follow her out to her car and said "Here's Karl." He was pretty old, even older than I am now, and sported a full head of Carl Sanberg, almost-white hair. But he was very sharp, alert and laughed a lot and told about the old days. She said they now did volunteer work for the water district, a co-op operation, and it kept them busy. In a half hour they were gone and then I realized I missed the opportunity of getting their autographs. They were both so very bright and friendly and seemed suprised that anyone would know or remember them. A month or so later I received a letter from Karl signed, I suspect by Veda, answering some questions I had asked regarding flatheads. I still have the letter (Mint Canyon Address) and it is among my life's treasures as well as the experience.

8. Is it that trophy's are scorned, or is it the people who will do ANYTHING to get one are scorned. You know the type, they DESERVE one!! Don't get me wrong, I've never won a trophy (if you saw my car, you would know why) and I don't have much use for them or the idiots they attract to the hobby, but if I got one, totally un solicited from the right people, might be cool..........:rolleyes::) (sorry for getting off track, back to your regularly scheduled thread)

9. kisam

kisam

Wow! What a find! Karl and Veda are my hero's!

I am under the impression that there were not any children.

10. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

Here are 2 pics some of you guys may not have seen before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. jim galli

jim galli

Can you PM me with the Mint Canyon address. I'd like to google earth it. I suppose it's all totally different after 40 years, but..........

12. Plain White Wrapper

Plain White Wrapper
    from Saug, MI

Heres a picture of Karl and my 55 taken back a million years ago. He sponsored Guy while he owned the 55 I now own. Does anyone know where this shop was in Cal.

Attached Files:

13. Yeah, that's as I understood it as well. Jim's was well established by the time Throttle Magazine started and he advertised in every issue if I recall, mostly as re-boring v-8s after moving on from 4cyl stuff. There is a really nice write up here on Jim's life here: http://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature/guestcolumnists/richardscorner/09harrell/
    I think Geoge Wight started Bell in the mid 20's, so the Orr's weren't even close to the first. Hell, George died almost before the Orr's started their shop. Still, the Orr's were a very important part of the ground level of hot rodding and their contribution should never be overlooked. Thanks for the post Ryan.

14. jim galli

jim galli

That was the shop in Mint Canyon on Sierra Hwy between the Soledad Cyn Rd intersection and Sand Cyn Rd.

I found an interesting history of the Orr's here. I never realized Karl was such a cantankerous old spark plug. I'm sure all those fires were long out by the time we kids were stopping at the speed shop in 1969 - 70.

15. thats an amazing story. i love fast women!!

Attached Files:

17. I like it even better with the side curtains.

ct1932ford likes this.
  18. Cool history!

19. Wow, and they even made trophies out of metal, not plastic like today, lol. Fantastic story.

20. Wow! she had a nice smile. :) and fast to boot!

21. wildbillorr

wildbillorr

I wounder if they are related to me? If not that is still the cats ass to see my last name related to something other than stealing horses and runnin shine....

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some great history there. The 32 as it sits in front of the speed shop is no doubt the prototype for a traditional roadster although one has to remember that it was the state of the art at the time and the banger boys were probably sniffling about that new style hotrod at the speed shop that defied tradition.

As for the trophies, each and every one of them marked an accomplishment by the Orrs and their cars. Not one nose pickers pick in that lot as every one still tells a story of a person going all out out on the lakes or the salt.

I've seen photos of the roadster for the past 50 years in different magazines and books and it has always been one of my favorite rods.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

23. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

hell yes

24. autobilly

autobilly

IMO trophies obtained through nepotism and "glad handing" deserve to be scorned, where as those earned by superior performance are fitting recognition. These trophies are definitely in the latter category.

25. Great article Ryan....I love to read about the women of hot rodding! Especially the ones that GO FAST!!!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

27. I assume they've both passed on? anyone know when? What happed to the lakes roadster?

28. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I believe Karl passed away in 1987 and Veda passed in 1988.

29. Some other Karl Orr cars
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

As I recall, Karl Orr owned a really neat sprint car with a 1939 Mercedes grand prix style nose on it also.