Register now to get rid of these ads!

History the original batmobile drops in.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Topolino Kid, Aug 20, 2010.

1. yesterday was a slow day at the shop..it's 4:00 and i'm just about ready to tell them i'm leavin..2 hours early..walk acroos the shop towards the office and what do i see???a 97 gmc car hauler ..bright yellow...and what's it hauling?????the fuckin batmobile...seen all kinds of stuff in 7 years wrenchin there...but this set me back in time...

bat1.jpg

bat3.jpg

bat4.jpg

bat5.jpg

bat6.jpg

told him i wanted the damn keys .:cool:.and of course the cape..:eek:..before i kicked his rich ass...:mad:..

bat2.jpg

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you have to give the 5.00 to get you photo taken with it like the kids have to do at the car shows? Cool old car though with it's own history behind it.

3. no. he blew the sidewall out on the right outter drive....i can generally get what i want when they come in needing repairs..being the old master mechanic, i sometimes kick others to the curb to get the tastey jobs..besides, we're commision shop, and they give all the hard or specialty stuff to me....besides, dude that owns it is from cincy, my home town..and i made sure the ass manager sold him a new tire right at cost.....he was headed for woodward cruise to roll the streets of michigan....

4. That looks to be the original "Futura" judging by the steering wheel and binacle, that is way too cool! I 've seen a few of the copies.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010

5. yep..original futura...on the original poncho frame..Barris didn't belive it either..till the new owner found the Barris medalion that they brazed to the bottom of the trans tunnel..only way ya can see it is to pull the trans..when Chris the owner found it, he sent Barris a photo of it and Barris came to check it out...and gave him the new medailons on the lower fenders on both sides.... according to Barris, this is the first, true original Batmobile....he lite the flame thrower rear turbo , but as luck would have it the shop digi cam batteries died and it didn't take....

6. gtkane

gtkane

That is too freakin cool!

7. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

I thought George still owned the Original
    Gee you learn something new every day Here on the H.A.M.B.
    Thanks for posting
    bet the new owner is one Happy Dude

8. gsport

gsport

way cool...

9. I'd have been in it making turbine engine sounds till they dragged me away! Too cool. The car that got me hooked on Radirs.

10. That is cool as hell.

Why are you the Topolino KID? You are closer to death than a kid :D

11. The Lincoln Futura had a Ponco frame??

12. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

Sorry but Barris still owns the original. there were 3 extra ones made for promo events etc. there are also a couple of companys producing very nice copies as well

13. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

And you didn't call me to come see it. Some friend...

14. Buck Sharp

Buck Sharp
    from nebraska

That is pretty cool to get to see and it does look like you could kick his ass. I have never read up on the batmobile, what motor does it run i see they said it has a Pontiac frame. It would be fun to go for a ride in it.

15. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Holy Bat Crap .... I get that call !!!

Attached Files:

16. heatnbeat

heatnbeat
    from Madera,Ca.

I saw one years ago but it was painted black suede

17. that "suede" was to keep the glare of the studio lights off of it while filming....or so i heard

18. bryan6902

bryan6902

He blew a tire? Did it go POW! or ZAP! or POP! Hell, if Batman had left his Utility Belt in the trunk maybe you would have never had to work on it. Certainly Batman would have some over complicated gadget to fix a blown tire....

19. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Topolino & Crew:

The Batmobile...always one of the all-time classics ! Great that you could see it in person !

If you wanna have some real fun, you can HEAR George tell the story of how it all came together...PLUS, you'll see comparisons of the Original FUTURA & The BATMOBILE, and hear audio, and the turbines, directly from the TV Show !!

Just follow this link to the Hall Of Fame Legends Site & enjoy !

http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage23.html

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

[​IMG]

20. ScottV

ScottV

There is a Boys Town Police Officer that owns one of the second run cars Barris made for the TV show. Last I heard it was on loan to a museum in South Dakota.

21. mt94ss

mt94ss

Cool post! I love the batmobile! I had the Matchbox when I was a kid... or was it a Hot Wheel? I don't think it was a Tonka! Haulin' a Hot Wheel with a Tonka... what's the world coming to? :rolleyes:

Later,

Mike

22. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Is the one at Volo a spare or a re pro?

23. Saw what I was told was the Futura at Barris's NTH Hollywood in June 2010 , man that would have cool seeing that rock up on the truck ..............Sweet.

Cad

Attached Files:

24. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

That one looks more like it. Still has the Futura dash, wheel, and door panels, and the chrome framework around the windshield canopies. In the Book Cars of the Stars, Barris says that the original Futura still had the '54 Lincoln frame, brakes, and suspension, but was powered by a new '66 Ford 428 Interceptor FE engine. There is a website devoted to these cars, and there he says that the fiberglass copies were built on '65-'66 Galaxie convertible frames and had 390 engines, except for the dragstrip exhibition version which had a 427 medium riser.

-KK

25. DoodleOdleDodleOdleDooo!!

26. Regardless if it was real or not, still cool as hell.:D

27. Hell yeah , would have rang every car guy I knew to get down here quick if it happened to me and I have some cool cars at work !!!!!! You are one of the lucky ones ........

28. well holy bat crap, batman!!!! i guess i gotta go with what Chris told me about the car..he did say that there were 4 made by barris, but only 2 got used in the show..the other 2 went on tour for promo's and such...the original was the only one on a supposed futura frame...the others poncho, had something to do with taking the abuse of sitting so low and carring the load that it did during filming...i do know that the Barris medalion matches the one on the web site listed here.....

either or, it still was way cool!!!i remember all the kids in the local hood getting together and watching it on the patio of the old lady who lived next to us...we all called her Aunt Rosemary...she had no one left in her family, so she adopted us all...she even went out and bought a huge console tv for us to watch it on...i remember most of the parents were there too

Danny, i figued ya was working, like most of us do..;)...besides, i turn em out of the shop pretty quickly...snapped all the pics while he was paying the bill...i did knock off my labor for Chris....hell man, i got to work on THE BATMOBILE HAULER!!!!!!!!..

29. Topolino, you still didn't answer my "kid" question. :D

30. drflex

drflex

atomic batteries to power... turbines to speed...

gotta love the batmobile