Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The ones that got away

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by papajohn, Dec 9, 2018.

1. papajohn

papajohn

IMG_20181209_150135.jpg Ever have one you sold and wish you hadn't? Sold this about 15 yrs ago in a weak moment, to buy a different project. Always wonder if it ever got built right

Bill's Auto Works and quick85 like this.
  2. I could write a book! HRP

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  3. I'm good for a couple pages.

4. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

count me in

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

Big thread somewhere around here. And yes, me too.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Yes, but that's water under the bridge. I keep looking to the horizon.

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  7. Great song, Danny :D

8. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I only have 20 acres, could not build enough building's to store them anyhow! :rolleyes: Larry

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  9. Funny....my 1964 Nova SS - Beth and I took out on a snowy day just fooling around - we managed to bang down some small things around the neighbor hood - power sliding that 283.....back in the late 70's.....miss her MOST but we did talk a year or so - she's on the west coast....the SS Nova - a young guy I sold it to flipped it right after without changing the title over.....got a call from the police - is how I found out.

10. or do I mention my Hemi Road Runner....?

11. I am trying Larry! I added 16 x 88 on the back to make it 56 x 88....Still not big enough! LOL

I have let a couple slip through my fingers lately & am regretting it, but there have easily been a dozen, 61 Ventura comes to mind.

Merry Christmas John, hope you don't get buried by "lake effect" too badly this year.

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

papajohn likes this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-1-8_3-52-2.png
    Hello,

We were twenty somethings with our future not planned, but just living life in care free, So Cal. Despite what people say, living in So Cal has always been fun and exciting. LA seems like a lifetime away, but it is in the center of what we liked to do on our weekend activities. The surf, was just a stone’s throw away and the climate is pretty much mild all year around. What is not to like here?

Our photo business was getting off the ground, Our current house was set up to pump out posters, custom, redwood framed color/b&w/sepia toned photo enlargements and a myriad of photo prints. The darkroom had everything set up in a small laundry room. At the time, we had our El Caminos, but needed something else to get the photo stuff … “out there.” With the fun we had in the 1965 El Camino, it just would not be weather proof with the suitcase of photo equipment strapped in the back bed.

So, our bright idea was to buy a Ford Woody Wagon to go to our photo shoots and hot rod runs. (Space, plus weather protection, and a small ladder) Even if we pulled up to a motorcycle shoot in a woody wagon, that would certainly score points with the finicky, custom bike, customers and clients. Our Harley Sportster did fine, but was hard to carry and secure the photo equipment. (in an Army backpack tied to a short, chrome passenger seat back rest bar)

Jnaki

Our budget did not include a 1940 Ford Woody that we saw in Northern OC. That one was very well done, but too expensive. So, we found a 46 Ford Woody in San Diego that was just right for our bank account. It needed some wood work, but the 283 SBC and 3 speed was right up our alley. The color would be bright and eye catching, great for an advertisement.

Previous post:

“ The best example is the decision to get a 46 Ford Woody that we saw in San Diego one year. It was in excellent shape. The wood was in need of refinishing, but with my skills in woodworking, that was not going to be a problem. The motor and drive line was solid with a 283 SBC and 3 speed, LaSalle transmission. The rest of the body was in excellent condition as noted by my wife. No rust, fillers or fiberglass replacements."

The woody was going to be the centerpiece of our fledgling photo business. The woody and price was great, so we were ready to buy. A deal was discussed and made, but the purchase fell through, because we were out of town buyers with a certified local bank branch personal check. Who refuses a certified by local bank, personal check?

So, after much discussion on the drive home, we agreed that another hot rod was necessary for us. So, within the next week, we found and she fell in love with the new/old 40 Ford Sedan Delivery with all of the goodies that met her needs…including A/C ++. Now, it was space, protection from prying eyes, and plenty of cruising comfort to those photo shoots in our "newish," 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. It was a 327 vs my old HS flathead for power...plenty of room/power to spare on those steep highways. (and... a real 8 track player, plus tapes...Ha!)
    upload_2019-1-8_4-12-26.png
    Talking, trust and thoughts on any idea or subject, all go together for a family discussion that has lasted through some tough times. The relationship continues to survive to this day on any subject matter, even cars. But, also, it involves decisions like landscaping our front yard, too. Ha!”

Https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-fork-in-my-hand.1100106/page-2#post-12478390

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019