Register now to get rid of these ads!

The one that you never should have gotten rid of?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod-40, Sep 21, 2009.

1. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Numbers matching 1970 455 Stage 1 Buick Gran Sport. This was a Barn Find making it HAMB friendly :) Bought it for the paultry sum of $500.

Took it apart, stored at my Parents until they moved didnt have room to store it myself at the time. Sold it way too cheap to a guy that was supposed to restore it. Stopped by a month or so later to see how he was making out and he parted it out. Yes I cried a little :(

Currently enjoying and looking forward to the years to come building an A Banger Rod with my Son, so all is now good.

2. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Here it was saying goodbye. I guess I should say, the guy buying it (Kevin S.) has got some great Ideas. I'm Looking forward to see it all painted up and FINISHED:D I spent a couple hour yesterday shooting it black & White around some old buildings.

Attached Files:

3. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I sold my '48 in 2003 because I had lost my job and needed the money. It's the only hotrod I've had that I built myself from the ground up. :(
    On the plus side, the fellow who bought it drives it every day in the Kent WA area.

[​IMG]

4. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

Sold my '65 Fairlane 500 (at the little ladies' demand) while we were still married. Tied up the divorce in April '09 and purchased it back last month. She's on fire about it and there's nothing she can do. I've since named the car The One. It's basically the same as it was 4 years ago when I sold it.

5. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

I have about 11 stories to tell that are about this topic. Heres Two.
    Back in 1981 I bought a nice complete '55 Gasser.
    It had no engine/trans installed but came with a freshly bored out 400 small block with pop-ups and everything to put it together. All the glass was good. It had a fiberglass tilt front end and a square hood opening. It was painted yellow with a continuous multicolored pin stripe all over it that filled each panel.
    Inside was a 4 point rollcage with nice black interior, small buckets and seatbelts and had '57 Chevy dash peices. One script said "FuelInjection" on the glovebox.
    Under the hood was a chromed tube axle and mounting parts. It had KeyStone Klassic rims which I thought were ghastly. Out back was a narrowed Olds rear end that was huge. I slid out an axle and it had been welded,the size of my wrist damn near. In the trunk an old keg.
    With the front cap off I could pick up the front of the car a few inches.
    Pulling it home,,it steered easily.The only dent was the one I put in it moving it around the garage.
    The best part He let me make payments.At the last payment I got the title.
    Off in the distance a storm was closing in,, my folks were getting divorced and I was just a kid out of high school. I had no where to go so the engine parts were sold for $400.oo collectively. One ad in the paper and the '55 was loaded & heading to Damascus Ark. It sold for $650.oo. I made$400.oo on the whole deal,,the money went to get the house payments and utilites current. I didn't understand then I was being used.

That was upsetting enough but the realization that I was going to be homeless shortly was another increment in the panic scale. But another problem appeared,,a real bomb was about to hit. My sorryassed dad intercepted my Income Tax Refund and I still had to pay the school for (autobody) suppiles for painting my lowrider '68 Chevy Pkup. If I didn't pay then I couldn't graduate,,so I sold my mint '68 Chevy because I couldn't find a job in time. The truck was painted two tone med blue metallic on the lower body following the body lines. The top was painted pearl white with blue pinstripping. It had a '68 Impala seat that was just redone and same color as the paint.The rest of the interior was nice.It had a 307 automatic.
    I did get my Diploma by selling the truck,,I gave it away for a tad under $1000.oo.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  6. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Still got the '36 then eh???;):D

7. I have regretting getting rid of several but two that stand out are a 1959 Corvette I sold when I got divorced.Thought I needed the money but turned out I didn't.Sold it for 3600 dollars.Would now be worth the house I sold it to keep.Other would be my 32 5w.I took it apart to re-do everything.Kinda lost interest and sold it for 4500 dollars.Soon realized my mistake but it was too late.Lost track of it.Recently found it but now its worth more than my home.I do not make enough to buy either one of them back now.

8. 4-pot

4-pot

40 ford coupe with full flathead, 53 plymouth convertable, channeled 40 ford 2 dr. with mild flathead, 31 A roadster with 322 nailhead, 49 merc coupe, 51 merc coupe. These were some of the cars I had in the late 50's and early 60's between 16 and 22 years of age. There were others but these are the ones I should never have sold.

9. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

She's on the mend, thanks....

10. Brewton

Brewton

My 1970 Chevelle SS! I got in a financial bind and sold it too cheap! Won't make this mistake again.... Lesson learned, I guarantee!

Attached Files:

11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

1930 Moedel A coupe, chopped, channeled, fenderless
    '39 Ford Standard coupe
    '39 Ford Deluxe coupe
    '53 F100
    '56 F100
    '55 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan
    '55 Chev 210 2 dr sedan (X2)
    '57 Coupe de Ville (factory Dusty Rose)
    '66 Caprice 2 dr hdtp (396) first car
    '69 Roadrunner
    '70 GTX

12. Kerry67

Kerry67

Jesus.....All of them but especially:
    66 Lemans
    63 Olds Dynamic 88
    57 Pontiac Chieftain
    68 Chevelle Wagon

13. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Re: The one that you never should have gotten rid of?
    Well,, one of the ones..................

Her daddy bought her a new '55 yaller and black hardtop for her college graduation. He owned a Fallstaff Brewery. Don't know what I was thinkin' about.:eek:

14. matt Delio

matt Delio

got home from the nam, in nov. '69 took, delivery of an l-88 baldwin motion nova, had 1182 miles on it- spun the mains out of it- parked it behind the old mans' garage. let the car sit for about 4 years ,sold the body-less engine for 1000 dollars. worth how much today??

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I keep having this feeling that if I finally do sell my '26 Ford Roadster I will regret it later down the line. I really just do not have the room right now to keep it.

16. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

My Dad tought at an old folks home in the early 70's. I worked out a deal with the grannies and had some unbelievable cars in high school. I sold em as fast as I could and had alot of scratch in H/S but theyed be a retirement now. Of course I would have lost em along the way any way. 3 De Soto's, 1 La Salle,4 Buicks, 2 Olds,
    5 Packards. All together about 25 rides from the 40/50/60's
    I need a drink now.

17. my '58 Chevy truck. I was 16 and wanted something to drive, and didn't know the first thing about working on a car. Wish I had it back.....

18. I didn't want to sell my '59 El Camino, but I had to in 2005.
    I sold it to a friend in NJ so maybe one day I'll have a chance to buy it back!

The 2nd pic is what the current owner did with it. He changed the wheel/tire combo, lowered the rear, and painted orange scallops.

Attached Files:

19. Go2Hells

Go2Hells

my 56 Plymouth still kick myself in the ass

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Gee-whiz, all of these break my heart. But, SCOTT, man, YOU did the right thing!!! I'd sell my sould and everything I own for one of my family. It's ONE of the reasons yo work on an old collectible car. Like money in the bank (and you HOPE you don't need it). But, if times get hard, it's better than having NO Plan-B, Plan-C, etc.!

Ihope I never have to sell my '55. But if my wife or kids needs medical care . . . choice OBVIOUS.

21. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

my brain cells in high school

22. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

My 71 Dodge Charger. It was a triple black, baseline Charger with bench seat, 1/2 canopy vinyl top and 383 Magnum powered. Bought it in '78 for $1100 because it got better gas mileage than my 67 Coronet R/T with 440-4 speed. Sold it for $1200 in '80 because the front seal in the torqueflite started leaking and I was too lazy to fix it! :eek: What a good looking car! Still have pics, and still regret letting it go. But I DO still have the 67 R/T! :D

23. Aint that the TRUTH... :D

24. havi

havi

I've been looking for my dad's car he let go....a 1971 Barracuda grand coupe, 383 4bbl auto. But in times like these, he did the same thing back then. So far I've managed to hang on. We'll see after this Winter.

25. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

You can sleep in your car but you cant drive your house.:D

26. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey hotrod-40...wich one. my 65 fastback mustang. 58 corvette. 32 roadster. 57 olds.53 chrvy.47 merc. coupe.69 chevy pickup.46 chevy.24 ford vickie. 48 ford pickup with v8 pontiac mill. do you realy wont to cry.HA! JUST CALL ME POP.

27. fleetside66

fleetside66

My 87 year old father says to me "Why the hell did you ever get rid of your '57 Chevy hardtop?" I said to him, "For the same reason you got rid of your Hudson convertible."

28. CruiseOrDie

CruiseOrDie
    from Cincy, OH

I'm 22 years old. Out of 35 cars, I boot myself for two....

1.) 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger. 340/4 speed car. My dad bought the car in '97, sold it to me in '03 when I had the cheddar finally. When regular kids got playstations for christmas, I got valve covers. Instead of playing baseball, I restored a set of Indy Slot mags (Hey, those 5x4" things were hard to find!) I cruised the wheels off of it, til the itch came. I traded the car for a pro street '67 Coronet 500. I'm an idiot. I know where the car is right this very moment, but I tend to like owning my '55 a whole lot more than that old Dart....

2.) WAY O/T here, but it was an '88 Formula Firebird. Was an old GM High Tech Performance magazine project car I put a 6.0 Iron block LSX motor from an '04 Silverado into. Big nasty cam, built 6 speed, suspension, etc. Made the most kickass driver you could possibly think of. And I traded it for a Grand National that the trans shit the bed in the second day I had it. Again, I'm an idiot.

Those are the only two....so far..... Least I never Have to regret selling my Bel Air. It ain't going anywhere. I've had offers, but the only thing that'd get me out from underneath it would be a nicer one. And even then....stretching it.....

29. teddyp

teddyp

my 57 chevy conv. and my old pac. from my hippy days got the chevy when i was 15 had it 10 yrs. my frist done custom paid 200.00 for it put 1500 in it 283-245 hp 4 sp. custom work. $$ sure got you alot more then the black funnel car i got for 100.00 ran good alot of fun but busted alot my dad made me sell it got 500.00 for it wish i still had them now:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

30. 61TBird

61TBird

'68 Malibu convertible I bought in '86 and just sold in June of this year.
    I parked it in '92 and hadn't done anything with it other than move it from place to place.
    With the Tbird and my interests changing,it seemed like it was time.......It will always be my "one that I let go for the wrong reasons".....

[​IMG]