Register now to get rid of these ads!

THE oldsmobile rocket 303 324 371 394 post to end all other posts, (lasalle related )

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RocketDaemon, Dec 19, 2006.

1. ocfab

ocfab

it looks like he has a few more kits under the car if you need one.:)

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

don't quote me but I think the heads are the same

it's the pistons, cam and 4bbl carb that bump up the hp.

the '62 up heads have a slightly different combustion chamber shape,
    designed to burn lower octane and still keep the compression up

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

yeah, gotta drill and tap the block for front mounts
    the wood blocks get in the way of the fuel pump and exhaust..

4. 3x2rocket

3x2rocket

badsco, the starfire heads (#23) should have larger ports and better flow, I believe they also have a different exhaust bolt-pattern. I'd recommend using them.

5. skwurl

skwurl

Dang. you go too much time on your hands

6. oldsboy

oldsboy

Does anyone have advice in putting a 371 in model a rails? I'm getting to the point of mock up and wanted to see if there was anything to look out for. (Pics would be great)

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

my #23 heads take the same intake and exhaust gaskets as my #20 heads
    ports measure the same, bolt patterns are the same
    can't say about runner shape or volume though

8. 3x2rocket

3x2rocket

Huh, I always thought the term "starfire heads" meant they were special, I doubt there are any design differences inside if the ports are the same. I think Paul has debunked this myth... Still at least it sounds cool to say "its a 394 with starfire heads"

9. badsco

badsco

Thanks guys, picking it all up in the next week or so, will have a good look to see if / what the differences are and report back to this thread - be interesting to know anyway.

10. badsco

badsco

That will teach me to refresh the thread before replying - seems indeed the myth is busted! Definitely cool to say it has starfire heads though.

11. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

All Olds heads had the same exhaust manifold pattern from '61-'64 (talking big engines only).

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

My '64 394 has a smaller diameter flywheel than the '49-'58 engines did, and takes a different starter. I've seen aftermarket lower housings with bosses for two different starter bolt patterns; I assume that one is '49-'58 and the other is '59-'64. Although '49-'53 flywheels have a different number of ring gear teeth than '54-'58, I think that the difference is made up on the starter gear.

13. (1) I found this crank on Ebay,will this Crank fit in my 1957 Olds 371 Engine.
    (2) Can it be Machined to fit,
    (3) Is the 371 Crankshaft the same Casting as a 394,but with different machining.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250471711519&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

On the back of my block it has 342,CFD,casting No 568929
    Engine No is A083170.
    On the front of my crank it has two holes in it one on each side of the journal.
    It came out of a 57 Olds 4 Door Holiday Sedan.

Need an answer ASAP please Clarify.PM me if your sure.
    Tony.

14. power58

power58

Great work, Great photos, Thanks for posting

15. Hey Olds Boy,
    I put a 371 in my 32 Ford roadster and I made up a engine cradle that bolts up under the original front mount (4 Bolts)but then is spread over to the out edges of the rail where the Front crossmeber is welded in.In the corners I mounted Old Sidevalve Donut mount in the Corners.

My engine crossmember is made out of 75mmX 50mm X 3 mm mild steel and is shaped like a Boomerang.With the donut mounts in the corner of the Chassis it gives it a pretty stable front mount.

Tony.

16. I found a Crankshaft from Mike at RPM Motorsports, on EBAY,he has been great in comunications and accurate information.

Very happy to be able to get on with the build of my engine now thanks Mike.

He is Junking a 57 Olds now if anybody needs some bits.

17. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Tony, do you have photos of this?

18. Large_911

Large_911

Thanks for the heads up! I need a few odds and ends.

19. Old Soul,
    My engine is away gettin built,I'll try and take some photos of the engine Mount sitting in the Chassis.Would probably be a better photo anyway.Without all the clutter of Radiator Grille shell,etc.

20. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Cool, thanks!

21. iafraser39

iafraser39
    from Warmland

I had a 394 olds bolted up to a 55 B&M hydro.
    I think the engine year was 1959, though not sure.
    Never had a bit of trouble.

22. bones35

bones35

So I've got a new idea for splitting the center exhaust ports on the 324 heads. I'm getting ready to build some headers for my olds using the flanges available on the web. I just sent my heads out to be decked and don't want to do the heating and welding now but I want to get them split. Here's what I've come up with. I'm going to be welding a tab onto my flange that protrudes into the head out of 1/4 inch. It looks like I will need to take away some material on the top of the port since it comes in a 1/8 plus to allow the tab to slide in and be tight the whole way back. I will square of two sections of 1 3/4 tubing to fit flanges and then split them to fit in center flange. After they fit i'll weld a peice of sheet metal to one side of the split tubing and to the new tab to give support and then weld the other tubing on to complete the connection to the flange. What do you think? With the solid mount i should be able to fit the tab tight using a gasket on mockup. I'll keep you informed I just ordered the flanges.

23. I'm just starting to make my own Headers too Bones.I have just bought some normal 1 3/4" Exhaust tube.
    I placed 2 X 1 3/4 tubes on the Simese Port and where they overlaped I marked them and cut out the inside third of the pipe and then taked them back together

I wanted to have 1/3 lap in the pipes on the centre Simese Port. So I still have two pipes comin out of the centre port.I have seen the Olds Motors like the Sidevalves with only 3 Exhaust pipes,but I dont like the way it looks like.It looks like a V6.

I'm trying to do something a little different as always.All my pipes will be Tig Tacked and then Braize Welded and then Polished out.
    We do this all the time on Handrails that we make at work for the Australian Trains.
    It looks really cool.
    Lot of work but so was the rest of the car,no rushing it now.
    Tony.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

blurry pix of the various exhaust port configurations through the early Olds' run

the 303 with oval center and round outer ports
    [​IMG]

the 324 similar but with rectangle center and square outers
    [​IMG]

the early 371 similar to the 324 but slightly larger ports
    [​IMG]

the late 371 still two bolt center port but now with runners devided all the way to flange surface, larger ports
    [​IMG]

and finaly the 394 three bolt and devided center ports, all ports larger again
    [​IMG]

25. So Now I know I have an early 57 OLDS 371.I have the same ports in mine.
    What sort of Cam would I be looking for for a Daily Driver.With a J2 Manifold on it for the Nostalgic Look.I'm not a Drag Racer or anything just want it to run with a nice note and idle without lunging forward.Like huge cams do.
    Does anybody know what Cam No to look out for?
    And where do I get a Cam and how much do they cost.
    Thanks Tony.

26. Large_911

Large_911

I got mine from Camcraft Cams. It appears that they changed the website a bit, so you would need to call them. I am building a 371 too -- shoot me a PM.

27. ALLSTEELWILLYS

ALLSTEELWILLYS
    from TEXAS

Does anybody know were i can find a set of forged pistons for a 1957 371 olds?

Also a good nice "lumpy" cam?

Thanks

28. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I have everything you need for your early Olds... stock or speed

Thanks,Tony

29. Yeah I got a cam from Charles at CamCraft and it only took 10 Days to get it from the States to Australia.Very happy.

30. What are the differences in the 56 324 and the 57-58 371 block besides the bore? If just the bore is different, how much can the 56 324 be bored too? I guess what I am asking is can an oversized piston made for a 371 fit in the 56 block?

Mike