Register now to get rid of these ads!

THE oldsmobile rocket 303 324 371 394 post to end all other posts, (lasalle related )

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RocketDaemon, Dec 19, 2006.

1. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Just use the one that's in the best shape and make sure your vacuum advance works.

2. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Functionally I don't think it matters. There might be a difference in factory curve specs but either could be setup to work. Do you want the 303's old time looks or a window style distributors ease of tuning? @Paul can probably speak to this, but I think there are a couple different small distributor caps used. Might be 303 vs early 324? 56 on up look like the one I just posted pics of. They share most parts with a SBC. Window cap design makes tuning/advance changes way easier since the mechanical advance is on top vs under points plate.

3. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

If you want adjustable vac advance that might be harder to find for the early style.

You might also be more limited as far as cap quality options.

4. hotrodscott2003

hotrodscott2003

Just went to Ross Racing Engines website in search of pricing for a timing chain, starter, ect., for my 324. It looks like they have the stuff I'll need, but no pricing. What's the best way you guys have got in touch with them?

5. I normally pm him and follow up with a phone call

jebbesen likes this.
  6. Arkas

Arkas
    from Germany

I'm about to bring my 303 block to the machine shop. Was thinking of going. 125 over for 324 pistons. I know I'll have to get 324 head gaskets. Do I need to enlarge the chamber on my Stock 303 heads to match the gasket?

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Short answer is no
    Longer answer might suggest taking the sharp edge off at the chamber edge,
    But more important might be asking what do you expect out of the engine?
    What year are the heads?

8. Arkas

Arkas
    from Germany

Dont expect too much, honestly. I was just going to change my cam to a custom one from Ross. I tore the Engine apart and almost every bearing is worn aswell as the crank.
    Since everything is going to the machine shop (and this kind of work is much more expensive here in Germany) I'd might aswell go bigger for the same price.
    The stock heads will choke the Engine for sure, but I'll probably change them later anyway.

The heads are stock 1950 303.

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app