Register now to get rid of these ads!

THE oldsmobile rocket 303 324 371 394 post to end all other posts, (lasalle related )

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RocketDaemon, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Jeremy Shay

Jeremy Shay
    from Las Vegas

Over the past week I've got the RPU back on the road... In the meantime I had another person recommend using the same valve adjustments as above; for a slightly aggressive but safe set-up; on a .400 lift cam. But conceded that .22in and .24exh is probably what came on most cam cards.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

.018 and .020 are what Delta Camshaft (the grinder that cleaned that cam up) spec'd that cam at.
    but if you want to go with some other person's speculation that of course is your prerogative.

3. Jeremy Shay

Jeremy Shay
    from Las Vegas

To date I've only found one screw(bolt) that has been correct; which I'm thankful for.

But as a point of reference for others here's a pic of some of the more common.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400537744.014488.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. So, as stated earlier, something looked kinda strange, when I pulled this 394 apart. Absolutely no wear on cylinders and crank and bearings like new. Also found that all the rod bearings were Clevite .010. With the shims under the valve springs, there is no doubt in my mind, that this motor was rebuilt, at some point.
    What markings are on factory rod bearings??? Gonna give Tony a call tomorrow as well, to ask him.
    JT
    p.s. Ugh! Still cannot upload photo's, says there are too large. Only 2.7mb

5. I am still resizing my pics to 600x450 and they all seem to be working in the new format. Perhaps that is the issue.

6. Spy pictures from the garage...

Fenton 3x2 intake for 303 and 324 motors. 3 Ford 94 ECG 6 carbs on top.

[​IMG]

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

picked up this 2x2 intake a month or two ago,
    something to cover the ports on a spare motor ya know...

[​IMG]

birdog, Dave50 and Martin_F like this.
  8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

also picked up another magneto, this one looks slightly used but put in storage some years ago
    here it is spinning on the distributor machine for the first time, good hot spark on all plugs, never spin a mag without plugs attached kids :)

falcongeorge and gonzo like this.
  9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

posted this to another thread
    but it belongs here

per Lasalle clutch plate replacement part number and interchange

spline count (10) and diameter (1-1/4") and match disc diameter to your pressure plate and flywheel
    a little googling shows the Ford Diesel 7.3L has the same shaft diameter, spline count and disc diameter I need..
    here is a link to disc alone, I'm going to order one, wish me luck :)
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctf-381040

chickenshift and falcongeorge like this.
  10. Pretty cool video! Thanks, @Paul

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

clutch disc came today, looks to be a perfect fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

falcongeorge likes this.
  12. mattdill

mattdill

Looking for an A/C compressor bracket for a 394 in a 64 Dynamic 88. Thanks

13. Mattdill, Will ask around for the A/C brackets, to a few Olds guys, I know. There are a total of 5 brackets, which includes the alternator bracket.

14. Kinda bummed out. Reeled in a '56 Super 88 side-job, to make a little extra cash. Been sitting for at least 2yrs and in the same family since new. After getting it towed to my garage and a brief inspection found out the engine is locked up. :confused:
    Car is super clean and totally deserves an engine rebuild. Owner a bit surprised at the estimate of approx. 5 G's $$
    JT

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm gonna be in the market for a rebuildable '56 324 core, but I'm in the PNW, Florida is a little far away. Bummer.

16. Matt, My Olds buddy, in Illinois, has the brackets you need. PM me with your personal contact info and I will put you in touch with Pat.

17. Clik

Clik

Scuse me if I'm in the wrong place but I can't get used to this new fangled HAMB.
    My hoodlatch/spring assembly fell apart and I don't know what's missing or what went where. Can anyone direct me to a diagram or snap a pic of theirs?

18. stik70

stik70
    from midwest

Here' the 324 in my Dad' roadster. Sure is fun to drive
    [​IMG]

gonzo and Super88 like this.
  19. [Scuse me if I'm in the wrong place but I can't get used to this new fangled HAMB.
    My hoodlatch/spring assembly fell apart and I don't know what's missing or what went where. Can anyone direct me to a diagram or snap a pic of theirs?
    [/QUOTE]
    I got the factory manual for this customer's car No real good illustrations, in the body section to scan for you. I can take a picture and text or e-mail to you. PM me your contact info, if you want. Car is right out in the driveway.
    1956 Olds Super 88.jpg
    p.s. me thinks most of us are still trying to get the hang of this new fangled HAMB.

20. Clik

Clik

I think so. This new HAMB has me all messe up.

21. Click on the little person icon/picture right above the blue Hamb Alliance ad. When the big black box opens/drops down, click on the "your social forums" words.
    PM's are now listed as "conversations" in that same box. Good luck.

22. He joined the H.A.M.B. on Friday, made that one single post, and hasn't checked in since. I wouldn't hold your breath on him.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

picked up this little box of NOS goodness recently, but I'm a little puzzled by whats written on the box in felt pen. One would expect that there would be a change to distributors in '57 with the tall deck motors, but was there a change in the distributors in '56? So if I am going to use this with a short deck motor, I need a '56 distributor? Can anyone shed any light on this? Anyone have an old Mallory catalog they can look up part # 25580 in, and see if its listed as fitting '56-up?

olds dual point conv. 001.jpg olds dual point conv. 002.jpg olds dual point conv. 003.jpg olds dual point conv. 004.jpg

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks Paul, good info. I GOTTA call you about that other matter, sorry I haven't done it yet. A lot has gone on this summer, my dad passed away and I'm the executor, lot of probate stuff ect. Sorry I have procrastinated so long.

25. Been patiently waiting to score this 324 engine. It's been hiding in some dudes repair shop, for years. Ramblur stumbled across it, coincidentally when I mentioned I was working on this '56 Olds 88.
    Looks to be a complete engine, that someone started to do a minor rebuild on. Cylinders have a slight ridge on top. Most likely will need to go .030" oversize. Not worth taking the chance.
    Quite a few extra parts, like everything short of a engine block. Two hydro transmissions as well.
    Would like to sell off the extra parts to help fund my 394 completion. PM me if you need something.
    • #10 cylinder heads (good cores)
    • crankshaft w/flywheel
    • exhaust manifolds with crossover
    • intake with 2bbl carb
    • front timing cover
    • p/s steering pump (2)
    • fuel pump core (2)
    • Hydro transmissions(1 of each)
    • oil pan
    • set of rockers and shafts
    Olds 324 engine 002.JPG

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  26. I have always wanted a Rocket valve cover, to hang on the garage wall. Now I have 6 to choose from.
    JT Olds 324 engine 004.JPG Olds 324 engine 005.JPG Olds 324 engine 006.JPG Olds 324 engine 007.JPG

27. CGkidd

CGkidd

Good score. By chance don't have a spare 56 cam in there do you?

28. Paul

Paul
    Editor

'57-8 cam should work in your '56 block if I remember correctly

29. CGkidd

CGkidd

You are correct. I have a 56 block minus cam I need to freshen up. The cam that was in it was wore beyond use. The guys at delta looked at it and just laughed.