Register now to get rid of these ads!

THE oldsmobile rocket 303 324 371 394 post to end all other posts, (lasalle related )

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RocketDaemon, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Never2low

Never2low

2. SHARKO

SHARKO

The Offy adapter will get you to a top loader Ford which I ran in my 57 for 10 years until my dear brother gave me an aftermarket t-56 for mustang. It came with a 1/2 inch steel plate on the front which was then drilled to fit the old offy bell. 2 overdrives. But does anyone know how to make up a flywheel for a 371. I have hydro ring gears but how and where do you put the lump for this externally balanced motor?

3. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Give me a call I have new flywheels and can place weights on existing wheels

Tony

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

can anyone tell me who made this rear cover, and when?

looks a lot like a late '60s Weiand but not exactly...?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. You could use a mount like I made for my 371 Olds in my 32 Roadster Chassis.Here is the link to it.
    http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc214/32OLDSTER/MY%20HOT%20ROD%20PHOTOS/OLDSFRONTENGINEMOUNT.jpg

Love the Blower and the Offy covers.

Can the water outlets be blocked off at the back of the heads if you are not running a heater.Ive seen other motors on here with a blank plug in the water pump.
    The 371 is going in my Hot Rod with no heater or air cond ,so no hoses running across the motor would clean it up.
    Is this correct? Anyone.?

Or do the rear of the heads need flow of water to go threw them to keep them cool.?Or for better flow of water,please clarify.
    Tony.

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

interesting front mount,
    I would think it would be fine if used in conjunction with stock bellhousing mounts,
    and even better if you also used a transmission mount.

the late 394 in the picture will be pulled and the blower will go on a '57 371
    I have Hurst mounts for it.

yes you can block the heater outlets at the rear of the heads,
    think of it like it's summer and you closed the flow of hot water through the heater core.

7. T42

T42

My 60 olds has a 62 394 in it. Is there an HEI dist. that will swap in for the points dist. or does anybody make an aftermarket HEI for this engine? Thanks!

8. ferrell1cars

ferrell1cars
    from ky

I have an incomplete hilborn unit for these olds motors,taking offers on it if anyone is interested.

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

394 out, 371 in, need to fix a minor issue and put it on the test stand

[​IMG]

Tim, senginc and j-jock like this.
  10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

All Hail Paul and that beautiful motor.

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

sweet Paul sweet.

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the infamous Hurts mounts

[​IMG]

13. What considerations where taken when building these mounts? From the pictures, they appear too small to handle the torque. Having followed your talent, on the HAMB, for many years, I just know that there must be some beefy trans mount and numerous calculations involved. Nicely done.:cool:
    JT

14. Did I post these already?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tim and G31270Oldsmobile1938 like this.
  15. 303racer

303racer

nice work on the mount ELpolacko<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_5371364", true); </SCRIPT>

16. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

ELpolako, in the first pic what is the the part coming sideways off the oil pan just below the oil filter canister? Looks like a spin on filter?

17. Just extra capacity. It's welded to the pan and I'm positive it's stock to that oil pan. I have seen a few that way now.

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Dynamite work Steve.

19. This is a mount that I have made in the front of my 32 FORD ROADSTER chassis,with an A Model front crossmember.

The engine is a 371 OLDS,using Sidevalve V8 donut mounts in each corner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  20. F&J

F&J

Tony, Thanks for those pics. I spotted your mount in your "ally roof" thread and I was going to ask you a question... I made a same style one for my 324 in a 32 front crossmember and I used the orig Olds piece that bolts to the front. How thick should the bolted piece be, because there must be a twisting force there because the donuts are more forward, rather than directly under the mounting holes ? (like Olds did it)

21. I made mine out of 4mm Mild steel,you can't see it as much but the mount does have a bit of a drop in it to and yeah does come forward a bit to .

I think it will be strong enough though.

I also made a 1.6 mm Stainless color for it,to laminate all the of the 4 bolt holes.Instead of 4 Washers.To stop fatigue as there is not much material allowed where the mount goes on to the motor.

Not pictured.

22. F&J

F&J

That's sounds like the perfect design, I will do that. Thanks!

23. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

We just scored a 53 olds in south dakota that was sold on ebay last week super 88 4 door 39,000 orignal miles been parked in a barn since 1971 with a manual trans.The guy got the car for $785 my friend gave him a profit and we hauled her home.

24. Paul's humor is well-taken; also a good idea to use grade 8 bolts for these torque monsters! (The Hurst mounts always made me a little nervous; marginal setup for the street, certainly not for racing)

Nice mount by El-P, and very creative one by T.C.!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I made my 394 mount from 3/8" stainless, very much the same as the others, I have 2 tail mounts either side of the tailshaft of the Hydromatic, this is the 3rd time i've used this type of mounting with no problems at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

played a bit of mix and match Friday

I had a nice stock '37 LaSalle and an already converted later LaSalle,
    swapped the output shafts and tail sections and voila!

a top shift to work with a Ford closed driveline
    and a slightly shorter than stock open

pictures show the '37 going in the '27 Roadster chassis
    second picture shows the comparison with stock long shaft at top
    and short '50 Olds at bottom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Langy,beautiful chassis work.Love the cam front spreaderbar.

I also made one of them for my car,with two ALLEY conrods out of lawn mower engine,mounted to the Cam engine bearing journal to mount my No Plate on to.
    The cam looks good painted too,yep I will have to copy that sorry.I'm not up to paint yet but soon will be I hope.

Still not sure on what colour though.

Paul if that gearbox gets any shorter it will be gone.Lost a fair bit of length in the extension housing.Nice work.
    You must have a fair bit in you shed hey,to come up with all them gearboxes and different extension housing,been collecting for a while.

28. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Tony, yours is looking pretty sharp.

29. 56rocket324

56rocket324
    from oregon

hello all, does anyone know if HEI distributer's are available for the 324 rocket engines or if there is a certain swap from something else that works. thanks!

30. 55olds88

55olds88

Pertronix is the way for electronic I think, awhile since I looked but I haven't seen anything else come up....