Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods the old guy needs advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JOECOOL, Apr 7, 2019.

1. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I need some advice. I was recently flooded out . My 57 chevy was in the garage and it was up to the garage roof. They will be letting us back in next week so I have no idea ,expecting the worst.
    The body is mostly factory paint with some primer,the bad part is the interior was out and I had taken the floor and trunk down to bare metal .I will pressure wash everything but I can not at this time spend too much energy or time on it ,My first priority is having a home again.
    I think I can drain all fluids and replace with diesel fuel to the top of engine ,trans and rearend. What can I put on the sheetmetal to not allow it to rust but not screw up the ability to get paint to stick on it in the future ? Thanks for the help!!

2. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

My first move would be to heat the garage as warm as possible in the closed garage. Use a weed blower to blow off moisture. Sorry about your disaster. I hope you have a full recovery.

3. my thunder bird flooded in 2011 do as you said drain and fill up with oil does not need to be fresh oil use used if you can find some ,as you will need to drain and refill again before starting,pull plugs take a squirt can fill cylinders to the top tell it runs out screw plugs back in,as far as inside floor it will be messy but pressure wash ,then spray USED motor oil on floorboards to stop the rust tell you get to it ,also will not hurt to pour down window tracks so it gets inside doors to stop rust,good luck and god bless ,I feel for you ,a little bit of encouragement my Tbird was under six feet of water ,been driven every summer sense 2012 no problems

4. rusty valley

rusty valley

get it dry, get it dry, get it dry. OSPHO is for preserving metal, you can paint over it when ready. my friend works at a marina and he has quite often had sunken motors be ok by just flushing it all out with diesel fuel. thats on a lake, river water has a lot more dirt, clean it good. got a wood stove in the garage? dry heat would be a good thing

pitman and RDR like this.

5. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

No heat source available ,they will not turn utilities on for a while.

6. A kerosene heater can be had for under a hundred bucks in a lot of places. I wish I could give you mine. One would heat the garage well.

7. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Luckily it is fresh water and not salt water. Still hose it off and wash with soap and water a few times as soon as you can. Gut it first. It will be full of very fine silt almost like you had it sandblasted. But if you had a house that went under the car will be #299 on the to do list. Get it out side in the sun if you can. Take off all the wall covering if the shop has any and open everything up. You can't imagine the amount of work you have coming up.

8. wvenfield

wvenfield

It's going to be full of mud. Up inside the dash, in every crevice. Before drying you are going to have to pressure wash everything. You say you won't have much time which is understandable........

Was it insured? If so it should cover clean up.

9. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

I have no advise but if you were closer I’d come and help...Randy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. unklgriz

unklgriz

you need a dry source of heat. Kerosene and propane will fill that garage with more moisture and you will have a lot more problems later, (as in mold in the garage). The beat way to dry anything out is to use fans and get the as much air movement as possible. I understand that you won't have power for awhile, so a generator will run your fans.
    Godspeed

Larry

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Heat is NOT ideal for stopping rust propagation. Rust is inhibited in colder temps. That said, lots of ambient temperature air flow through the vehicle and building it is in would help a great deal. The balance of the advice I agree with.

Very sorry this happened to you. Best wishes for getting your home life re-established as soon as possible.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Damn. Sorry to hear that. I think Gibbs is the preferred method for protecting bare steel. Might search this site for more info. Good luck to you!

13. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Lots of good suggestions. See if you can rent one of the kerosene jet motor type heaters after you pressure wash the car. The time spent now will same many hours of work later.

14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@JOECOOL Man, sorry to hear this. Didn't you get flooded out a few years ago too?

15. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Agree with the air, lots of blowing air after everything is washed clean. The more movement the better!

16. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Yeah we went thru the same thing in 2011, I am not too smart I guess. They put up a bunch of levees and thought everything was ok. I am now 72 and just too old to do it all again. Thanks for the help fellas ,hopefully we can get back in and assess the damage tomorrow.

17. If It wasn't a Tri Five it would not be worth fixing. I would take it apart in as many pieces as possible.The sooner you get it apart and cleaned and dry the better. get one of those pressure washers. It could be Worse the Calif Fires completely destroyed the vehicles. Its been suspected that quite a few of those much touted Lambrech unsold new vehicles in Nebraska. Where purchased by him as insurance flood damage vehicles.

18. 31Apickup

31Apickup

If you have power I’d use a dehumidifier to dry my things out.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app