Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Old Crow Lives!!.......Bellytank update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bobby Green, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

I have posted a few updates and build pics of the tank over the past few years, and everytime I do, I get a few questions as to what I am going to name the car ????
    Now, I have always had an idea in mind, but didn't want to give up the details until I had the artwork finally finished. Well, since I'm putting the tank in the Grand National Roadster show next month, Coop got motivated to finish the logo so I can get her painted in time.
    But first, let me tell the story of how it came about;
    On a trip to Connecticut last year to look at a Sprint car, I stopped into a local antique store, and came across this vintage bar display for Old Crow Whiskey.
    [​IMG]
    Now being a bar owner, I am always looking for cool old bar stuff, and this guy really stuck out. The Old Crow has a simple yet strong aesthetic to it, similar in my opinion to the Western Exterminator man, my favorite promotional character of all time.
    [​IMG]
    So naturally I had to buy him. But the thought had not crossed my mind to name a race car after the old whiskey until I was watching the History channel one night. The show was about the p-51 Mustangs of WWII, and what do I see flying through the beautiful black and white grainyness of 1940's film??? A famous P-51 Mustang called the "Old Crow" !! How cool is that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So then it hit me, what a perfect blend of Booze, character and WWII aviation. A match made in heaven for an old Bellytank turned race car. After talking to friends about the concept, Coop had a great idea of taking the crow and giving him a Clay Smith cams feel. Clay Smith was a cam maker in the 50's and many a hot rod/race car donned the famous woodpecker logo.
    [​IMG]
    I think Coop gave the Old Crow a lot more life than the originally had.

[​IMG]

Here is a mock up of the hand painted logo on the tank. First I am going to engine turn the head fairing.
    [​IMG]
    So that's the name..... Old Crow.... and now you know the story behind it.
    Come by and say hi if you make it to the GNRS.

2. turbodan

turbodan

Too kool brother, too kool!! Can't wait to see the final results.

Hopefully, soon, I'll see you on the salt.

Cheers!

3. Muttley

Muttley

Anything named after Bud Anderson's plane is ok in my book.

4. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

I vote for that name too! :)

5. VanHook

VanHook

Awesome! Bud Anderson still lives in california somewhere, you should get in touch with him that could make for a cool photo shoot!

6. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

years ago there was an old stockcar in my area that was called the "old crow"
    Now nobody remembers the cars number,but if you say the "old crow" everybody remembers that car!!
    great name! go fast or go home!!
    Randy

7. Very nice.......neat story

8. flyin-t

flyin-t

Looks great, I like it.
    Years ago, more than I can believe has past, there were a few guys that ran the antique nationals with a banger rail and their team name was 'heckle and jeckle racing'. That was an old cartoon for all you young guns that featured the antics of two black crows. Their team shirts, hand screened I'm sure, was of the old cartoon characters.
    see you at the gnrs.

9. sololobo

sololobo

Very very hip! I had one of the Old Crow bar pieces a few years ago and this makes me regret selling it. But I'm in the junque business and the hardest part is selling a lot of your finds. I love your spin on this ultra cool theme. The p-51 was sensational!! Machine turning will be awesome. Thanks for sharing.-Sololobo

10. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Great logo...the story behind it!

11. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Great logo...and the story behind it!

12. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Yep! I like it,the story is cool too.

13. GARY?

GARY?

i do love me some Old CRow and yer' belly tanker is impressive to say the least.
    is there any room to make the crow head bigger on the side? bring it down a little so it can get bigger? i think it's a great logo either way. being able to see the logo from a distance would be cool. sorry if you weren't looking for input. i'll gladly incert foot in mouth.
    i hope to see it in action this year.
    IT IS AWESOME already.

14. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Your my little Old Crow.

15. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

16. 53chevy

53chevy

Awesome Bobby! Here's an idea, have Crow feet stampings on the side of the belly each time you pass the 100 mph barrier. Looking forward to seeing the paint scheme at G.N.R.S. Loved that belly lakester at the Primer Nats, took more pics of it than anything else.

Ken

17. Hat Man

Hat Man
    from Omaha, NE

Thought I'd take a photoshop crack at this. Used a pic from one of your other postings as a starting point. Added the tail, moon discs, changed the color and added graphics.

[​IMG]

18. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Whoa whoa whoa.... Stop the presses.. Bud Anderson is still alive ?? and lives heres in Cal. ??? I have got to find him and get his autograph on the tank. That would be sooo amazing.
    I'm gonna start looking, if anybody has any leads please let me know.

19. Hat Man

Hat Man
    from Omaha, NE

The original.

[​IMG]

20. Nocturnal

Nocturnal
    from CO

21. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Thats cool, But maybe just for record run or 200mph. doing it for over 100 mph Bobby will have the whole tank covered in no time.....Lucky

22. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

23. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

AWESOME!!! i'm gonna have to look up the other posts now.

24. VanHook

VanHook

His book To Fly and Fight say's that he lives in Auburn, Cal. Excelent book by the way! He also has a web site www.cebudanderson.com Hope this helps ya out that would be to cool to get him to sign the tanker! Chad

25. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Bobby, The Belly Tank will look awesome in its new livery ! Hope to see ya at the Roadster Show !

41 Dave

26. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Now Wingnuts,.... judging by your avatar, I think your a tad bias. LOL

27. LongnLow

LongnLow

bitchin ride!

28. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Thats one very cool race car and a logo thats just as neat. I would love to see this car in person.

29. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

I gotta agree with Wingnutz. The photoshopped paint scheme is bitchin'. And Bobby, that is a wicked name with a wicked lil story! Can't wait to see it in person.

RRR

30. Whilst I generally think that this type of design format on rods etc can be viewed as a 'tacky gimmick', on that tanker....WOW, Simple and sweet.

Nice logo 'Coop' as well, tis a neat package.

Cheers,

Drewfus