Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Ol' Lincoln Locker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R Frederick, Aug 4, 2011.

1. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Named after making a locker rear diff with your Lincoln welder. Lol
    Was doing some reading and read that it is stronger to weld up spider gears in a 9" (AS LONG AS YOU WELD THE SPIDER GEARS TO THE CASE ALSO), than installing a spool.
    "If you just welded the spiders together it would act just like a mini spool, putting all the load on the cross pin, but if you also weld the spiders to the carrier you put the load on the carrier. This is much better than a mini spool".

I have an extra 3rd member, and was thinking about making it a "lincoln" locker for some drag racing.:)
    Any thoughts or experience you could school me about this?
    <!-- / message -->

2. Long time ago we used to weld the rear spider gears, now there is a plug you can buy that locks the rear on the Ford differential. the problem with welding is the slag balls that fall out as you come out of turn four of the last lap and lock up the rear end......

3. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Thanks for the input. I don't want to grenade the ring and pinion.
    I just ordered a mini spool and chromoly pin for under $50 delivered.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  4. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Back when I Mud Bogged, Lincoln lockers were just part of the game.
    I welded up many different axles (rear only). I used a 220 Lincoln buzz box cranked all the way up with a nickel rod, I would shim the gap between the backside of the spider gears and axle gears and weld each gear to the case, then to each other were they touched. You can put greese on your ring and pinion so the splatter doest stick to it and weld it up in the housing.
    Now before I get into trouble these were off road applications only, yes it will break axles with big horse power or big tires, but I have never had my lincoln lockers break doing it this way.
    I figure welding the spider/axle gears to the case is stronger and if/when I have $500 bucks for a detroit or any other full case locker the old case will not be used anyway, so I really had nothing to lose.
    They get twicthy on the street and alot of fun in the rain but I drove my Scrambler for many years on the street with a Lincoln locker and 40 inch tires.

MrC.