Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs THE Official "Show Your DeSoto" Thread...Cars, Not Just Grilles In Your Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BloodyKnuckles, Nov 19, 2008.

1. I've had enough!!!:mad:

The poor 'ol DeSoto has been raped and pillaged for way too long and it's time to see the ones that have came through unscathed. It's unfortunate that no other car manufacturer made a nicer grille then DeSoto. Also people have removed their hearts and have transplanted them into jalopies, jeez!!:rolleyes:

When will the madness end??

With all kidding aside I love the look of all DeSotos. They have amazing lines and plenty of character. Beautiful interiors and gauges. Hemis. Enough said.

So lets see what DeSoto has offered throughout the years!

1954 DeSoto Powermaster 6 that belongs to my beautiful wife Heather;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Say "CHEE:DEESE" bitches!!
    [​IMG]
    (...don't be jealous:p)

BloodyKnuckles

2. VanHorton

VanHorton

haha nicecar dude! i cant get over how much these things look like chevys of the same year... makes ya wonder why you dont see many custom ones... I see lots of potential for sure.

3. Maybe your wife will trade me for the panel...that desoto is sweet...have always had a jones for one of those...didn't realize you...err your wife had one...very nice ride

4. VonDust

VonDust

[​IMG]
    Here's mine, '55 Desoto I've had for about 5 years now since I was fifteen.

5. VonDust

VonDust

[​IMG]
    56 olds headlights and '56 packard tails, all shaved besides the side trim, doghouse welded together and alot of work on the front, bagged, hemi, and I drive the piss out of it... when I'm not working on it. A chop and a T-5 tranny is due this winter.

6. nice ride...cool that you still have it and even cooler that you had such good taste at 15...

7. VonDust

VonDust

[​IMG]
    This is it back in 2005 when I won Young Guns at GoodGuys in Indy, I was 17 then.

8. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I saw both the Desoto and his wife couple Septembers ago. Both are fine representatives of their lines. Don't know how one ugly cuss can get so lucky......

9. looks much better now...aren't you the young pinstriper extraordinaire?

10. VonDust

VonDust

[​IMG]
    Out cruising around last weekend at 3:00 in the morning in 25 degree weather lol. But yea, since I got it back on the road after a year, its funny how some people walk up to it and don't know what it is. I've heard Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Packard, mercury... all kinds of different shit besides Desoto. And when i tell them what it is, they say "Ohh... "

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  11. VonDust

VonDust

Well, I guess that is me. This is what made me start pinstriping was to save up for this car. I bought it with all of my pinstriping money I saved up for two years. I still srtipe on the side everyonce and a while. I have a full time job at a body/restoration shop here in Indy, alot of side jobs and I'm doing flake, lace and just general fabrication and cutting on the Desoto. Pretty much everyday and night I'm working on something that involves this great lifestyle of hot rods and customs.
    But thanks for noticing that who I am. :)

12. VonDust

VonDust

[​IMG]
    Here, shows that there used to be two humps for the bumper guards that was part of the grill. Smoothed it across and made a one piece trim to go around the floater stock grill, also shows the body seams welded together behind the headlight. Little shit that the normal car guy won't even notice. Tom Culbertson of Culbertson's Rod and Customs and I done this together, he's like my second dad.

13. VonDust

VonDust

[​IMG]
    This is my senior pic of 2006. I drove it to school pretty much everyday.

14. JEPPA

JEPPA

VonDust, did I see your car on TV? When it was red. My Classic Garage or something like that?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  15. VonDust

VonDust

Yes, I was on My Classic Car during the coverage of the Newport Hillclimb in 2006 i believe. My dad, MercDeuceman, was also on there as well. He has the copper roadster named El Tiki that was shot just before I was. my car has been racing up the Hill for the past 10 years, and I raced it for the past five i've owned it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  16. This car took 1st Place in the "Modified" Class at the 2008 DeSoto National Convention this year. Is also featured on a 2008 Calendar. Pictures are not the best...

Attached Files:

17. moparjack44

moparjack44

18. I hit the Newport Hill Climb every year. It amazes me how many "car people", even people that live in the surrounding counties have never been.

19. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

VonDust, that is an awesome '55!! I love the tail lights. I actually noticed all the modifications you did on it right off, some were more subtle than others. I really like the factory '55-56 DeSoto headlight buckets but the Olds' look good too. ;)

The only DeSoto I've had was a (thoroughly destroyed) red with white '57 Firedome coupe. Shame too, I bet it was beautiful in its prime. It has gone to a good cause though, one more '57 convertible will have its trim and proper 341 thanks to this one. :)

Good idea for a thread btw... ;)

20. Look at all those MERC grilles going to waste!! Haha, just kidding guys.. Von Dust that's one of the coolest high school rides I've ever seen...

21. pacman

pacman

Represent Bloody Knuckles!

just as i found 'er

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

My wife's 53 powermaster... It's like driving my couch down the road !!

Attached Files:

23. Damnit man! Who you calling ugly? You talkin to me? You talkin to me? Why I aughtta...

BloodyKnuckles

24. Great responses so far.

Let's keep this one going to show everyone whats up!!

BloodyKnuckles

25. that's cool

26. Vorhese

Vorhese

I never miss a Desoto thread
    My 53 Firedome that I've been slowly bringing back from the dead.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. VonDust

VonDust

Thanks. Actually, my origainal plans were the '56 Desoto/Chrysler headlight bezels. But, I couldn't find a way to mold them into the fenders being they're cast white metal, not just plain steel.

28. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Oh man.....there's a guy a few houses down from me with a '58 DeSoto 2dr hardtop, just sitting there rotting, but in pretty good shape. Car is a light blue with a pink front clip.
    I had asked about it a few years ago, but he's not interested in selling. He put a tweaker tent over it @ a year ago......
    Late 50's Mopars just rule.......

29. VonDust

VonDust

Man, I'd love to have your engine. I have another 291 just waiting to be rebuilt, but as you know that costs alot. So, I've been running the same old stock motor for the past 5 years. All I've done to it was lapped the valves, new springs, lifters, distributor and water pump right when I got the car. 35,000 miles later, running the Hill at Newport many times for years with a 5:68 gear, and its never let me down on the road... it still runs like sewing machine, and with a trip to Vegas in it this comming April, I have no worries. :D

30. Keep it going!

BloodyKnuckles