Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Official [Ed] Winfield Speed Equipment Thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gwhite, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Me and Enbloc had abit of a score yesterday at a swap meet. Picked up a bunch of NOS winfield carb parts 4 models S D's and one CC still in the original box. No float bowls though. But maybe up for doing a deal on the spare choke horns we have.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441524890.586801.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441524904.058646.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441524914.029707.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441524923.502601.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441524936.509022.jpg

Attached Files:

Carter, waxhead and Jimmy B like this.
  2. Juggler

Juggler

Where in the name of all that's holy did you find those?

Not at Beaulieu surely?

3. Beaulieu indeed!

4. pumpman

pumpman

Damn, looks like I need to get on a plane and do some meets there!

5. Juggler

Juggler

Good score Harley. Really good score

What you going to do with them?

6. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

My original cast iron 7:1 crows-foot head. The fly cut above the pistons was 0.060". I just had the head crack tested (thankfully all OK) and skimmed 0.010", so the fly cut is now 0.050". These are the pictures of the head before it was skimmed.

I would love a BB Winfield carb to go with this head, but no luck in finding one so far. I looked into these, and as beautiful as they are, I can't really justify spending that amount of money on one carb.
    http://www.braunsautomotive.com/winfield-carburetors.asp

I also have a question. I have a Model A Winfield intake manifold suitable for the B sized Winfield carburettor. This intake says Winfield on it. I have seen a few Winfield intake manifolds for the BB sized carburettor, but none of these actually say Winfield on them, but are stamped S66 and BB. Does a Winfield intake for the BB sized carburettors exist with Winfield written on it?? Pictures appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Original Winfield crowsfoot1.jpg

Original Winfield crowsfoot2.jpg
    Original Winfield crowsfoot3.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  7. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

I ran such a manifold for many years. I didn't have a BB carb so made a tapered adapter and ran a S-C-D carb. It worked great, had good power, drive-ability and got good gas mileage.

waxhead likes this.
  8. Scott,

A word on Winfield part numbers & stampings; the company apparently used the "S" prefix for all S/SR carbs & intakes. The typical 90* elbow choke housings are numbered S-41 (then size; A, B, C, etc.) Fuel inlets are S-31, "S" float chambers are S-26, and so on and so forth.

S-66 would be the Winfield part number for an S/SR downdraft manifold. The 'size' would then be stamped near the cast-on S-66 part # (FWIW, updraft carb adapters carried p/n S-65). Here's a photo of mine;

winfield.jpg

I am 99% sure that the intakes were matched to each size; A, AA, B, BB, C...with the differences being found both in throat diameter and in the mounting stud spacing. Don't think a BB would work on a B intake without modification. Our own @Carter runs a BB (I think) along with matching intake...hopefully he'll chime in.

I'm positive that Winfield's name was cast into most, if not all of the intakes. The one you saw may have had the lettering filed off, or may be a reproduction which copied the manifold but omitted the name.

waxhead likes this.
  9. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

I don't think (?) mine has the cast-in number but the size (BB on mine) is stamped in. All different size carbs had a different spread on the bolt pattern. After making my adapter I used #10-32 screws and nuts to secure carb to manifold because the studs did not align.

waxhead likes this.
  10. Carter

Carter

On the intakes, from what I've seen and in talking to others, it seems that the B and BB intakes were likely the only two Winfield produced intakes. I've yet to see or hear of a downdraft intake in any other size that was made by Winfield. I'd guess that adapters would have been used to fit all others to either factory manifolds or to the Winfield intakes. Gary is correct in that I run a Winfield BB S-R carburetor and matched intake on my A roadster.

A note on the Brauns website, they seem to be convinced that Winfield carburetor bodies and parts were originally copper plated. From what has surfaced of NOS stuff as well as the nicer used stuff I've seen and own, it all would appear to be bronze plated to me. There's even a story that goes along with that notion. Apparently there was a place that bronzed baby shoes not far from Winfield's shop that did the carburetor bodies. There is a thread on the HAMB somewhere about it...

waxhead and gwhite like this.
  11. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

12. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Hi waxhead, here's my Winfield manifold. I don't think it's ever been run. I have an s-bb carb for it, but when I torn it down recently to rebuild it, I found all the internals are the AA size. Would like to run it on a model A roadster project I'm working on but will have to find more parts to make it all work. Great looking crows foot head!
    Johnny
    image.jpg image.jpg

waxhead likes this.
  13. The smaller AA stuff is common to find in B or BB bodies and will work fine. It was a modification done to help with stumbling.

14. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Johnny, thanks for posting the pics of your intake. As Gary has suggested, the BB intakes I have seen previously without the Winfield name on them must've been reproductions.

rtsidejohnny likes this.
  15. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Hitchhiker, is that true?! The folks at Braun's told me it wouldn't work at all, no way no how! Sorta bummed me out. If those parts will indeed work I'm indebted to you for the info and re-inspired, thanks!
    Back to the garage, Johnny.

16. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

You're welcome waxhead. And yes, I would tend to agree with Gary. By the way here's the base of my BB carb with modified bolt holes...I've seen a few like this. As suggested, to fit on different size manifolds. Make it work...that's hot rodding!
    image.jpg

waxhead likes this.
  17. Johnny, what parts of your carb are AA sized?

18. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Here are some pics of the carb numbers Gary. The internal tubes in the first pic are all AA and the inlet is stamped A as well. Not sure if there are more I should look for. I'm trying to learn more about these so any and all help is much appreciated. I also have a beat up "red head" to complete the package. I'll get some pics of it as well. Thanks again to all for the info!
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

19. Looks like you have a BB throttle body with a AA float bowl. I seen a lot of BB's with B float bowls. I would try it as is, might work just fine. If you really start looking for this stuff your going to see all kinds of arrangements.

20. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Thanks 62pan. You guys have given me new hope this carb may work!
    BTW saw your posted engine pic on Gary's "hardscrabble" thread...that's where I'm going! Beautiful!

21. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

My xmas present arrived early this year. It is a shame I am at work and haven't seen it in the flesh. Pictures taken by my 11 year old son from home. S-BB-D carb. It appears that there is a small threaded hole in the top of the choke (see 3rd picture). Does anyone know if it is standard, and if so, what purpose it serves? To maybe hold an air filter in place using a grub screw??
    IMG_1194.JPG
    IMG_1196.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG

Carter likes this.
  22. Not sure what the hole is for, never seen anything attached to a Winfield choke in any old photos. I have a Winfield SR BB with the same choke, same holes. I do run a small brass screen between the choke and throttle body to keep bugs or whatever from entering the carb body. Cut it to fit the top of the throttle body and the choke housing and clamp hold it in place. Can't be seen unless you look for it. Nice looking Carb. Ken

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Merry Christmas! Nice carb with the original plating in good condition. Bob

waxhead likes this.
  24. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Thanks for the information and suggestion 62pan (Ken)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  25. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

I'm in dire need of a replacement choke horn, just bought these and they didn't survive the ride very well. winfields 001 (640x480).jpg

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Stuff like that really bothers me, carb is 85 years old and some clown can't wrap and pack it for a ride to its new home. How much of the profit would he have lost on fishing some bubble wrap out of a dumpster behind a shopping center? Bob

27. WOW Kool thread ..... I will have to dig out my brand new Winfield cam . In my flathead cam collection I have a never used Winfield still in box from Ford dealer it was shipped to Winfield for grinding & then in another box where Winfield shipped it back .
    Again great thread !!!!
    Cheers
    Tony

Jet96 and Atwater Mike like this.
  28. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Bob, That's about how I felt but I contacted the seller and he offered to make it good, just have to find a replacement.

29. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I finally managed to get myself a Winfield BB intake manifold. The only catch was that I had to buy the carb it came with also. The dilemma I have now, is which carb to run. I have a Winfield carburettor S-BB-D with BB float assembly and BB throttle body. The carburettor that I just got is a SR with B float and BB throttle body. I definitely like the look of the SR carburettor better, but my guess is that the S-BB-D will probably run better due the matching float and throttle sizes.
    Will I have issues running the SR carb because the throttle is a BB and the float a B?? Open to suggestions and recommendations.
    SR carb
    DSCF2975.jpeg

SR carb float
    DSCF2976.jpeg

SR carb
    DSCF2977.jpeg

SR carb throttle
    DSCF2978.jpeg

Attached Files:

brjnelson likes this.
  30. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Here is the SR carb choke disc. Does anyone know why this disc has a smaller spring loaded disc on it?? The S-BB-D carb choke disc does not have this.
    DSCF2979.jpeg

And the BB intake
    DSCF2980.jpeg
    DSCF2981.jpeg