Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. What have you got brewing?, or are you going full stealth mode on us.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Not sure but I think I will have to find something more HAMB friendly because if I bring my more door 65 chevelle and whoop on you guys with it you will all go crying to mommy.

3. I have a 60%+ finished '62 Dodge Tudor Hardtop Super Stock (has interesting history too).
    Project for sale. The front suspension has yet to be rebuilt, man you could put a straight axle under it, and leave it so you could convert it back and forth to stock front suspension easy, and race it with the Gassers, and the Nostalgia Super Stock gang. The engine is a 2 4BBL inline 383 NHRA Super Stock legal piece that should make 600-625HP. Also has a new Strange Dana 60 with 5.57's/5.86's and spares with all the bells and whistles, and some 4 speed parts. We have lots of stuff for this one, and would be very unique, should run high nines if completed correctly, faster with a bigger engine. Hmmm?
    If not, bring the Chevelle, out, remember Tom Sturn raced a crazy '66 Four Door Funny Car back when.

4. PS. Marc just gave me the latest 10 day weather update for the Northern Midwest/east area.., 60's & 70's with lows in the 40's & 50's at night!.., holy smokes are you kidding me. Looks like that special weather we Cali boys ordered up is on time! Guess we better pack some fire wood after all for the evening festivities. :)

II FUNNY likes this.
  5. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Hey Ric...when is your estimated arrival time?

6. Glad the Triple Dog Dare worked! Thats what it was allll about,gettin you here!!! After all...why else would I pick on a car thats prolly a full second faster than me....I still aint skairt!!!!! I yam lookin forward to meetin ya!!!

7. Late morning to noonish/1pm Thursday. Quain said we shoot out guys run @Noon & 3pm Friday, so I'm hoping to make 1 or 2 hits Friday morning to burn our disc in a little, then back off the base a bit for the shootout. If we don't have "shoot out runs" Saturday, we'll make some tune up/grudge runs Saturday & Sunday. Our youngest brother Jason, just got clearance to come too, so we'll pack 4 of us into the 56 for the Burger Joint cruises. Man we are really looking forward to this!

beebee78 and II FUNNY like this.
  8. Glad the Triple Dog Dare worked! Thats what it was allll about,gettin you here!!! After all...why else would I pick on a car thats prolly a full second faster than me....I still aint skairt!!!!! I yam lookin forward to meetin ya!!!

9. KUSTOM 50

KUSTOM 50

Last year was a pretty good time for me there I am going make it again have my room booked and cant wait. I will be ordering the parts to finish my car so maybe I can get there next year.

10. Get er done son!

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Ric that 62 sounds interesting I have an old friend that has a 57 210 that I think could be a candidate he is an old drag racer that turned tractor puller and his health is not that good I need to get him fired up about something.

You know that smack talking is not the way I am I think you turned me into someone else.

12. I wasn't really me man, it was those fricken bad voices. The good voice posts heart warming things, like earlier today, but them bad voices, there just a couple of bitches always trying to stir the dang pot! Its all in good fun, and I'd much prefer to help you than hurt you. Those evil twins though, you never can tell, and they're always trying to turn me into something else too, so I'm not surprised them two piss ants have been working on you too, Just beat em down with some of their own crap, that's what I do. Sincerely, Me, Myself, & I.

13. Profilers, good choice. Who ported em, and what do they blow?

14. Bull

Bull

Not sure if you're the one of the guys who called me today, but I have a drum coming from someone in OH. Apparently my tranny guy found one and has one on the way. Heck, maybe I ought to get yours too to be sure I get at least one and one in stock!

I can't believe the out-pouring of help we've been offered after posting here, on Facebook and sending out an e-mail for help. We've even had fellow racers offer us fully built, brand new trannies out of their own cars for the weekend just to make sure we get the car there and make some passes. Hot rodders rule! Meltdown Drags or bust!

loudbang likes this.
  15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Bull I can bring some with me to the melt down look me up. I will be there thursday and be camped out.

16. Bull

Bull

Thanks man. We should be there Thursday as well. Hopefully with the bright orange Rude Stewed gasser in tow.

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Kool I will be dragin some clapped out lookin charger.

I have some outer spares also not a lot of planets or cases (roundy round guys are hard on them)

18. Does Byron have "rental helmets " like Great Lakes Dragway?

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What size you need we my have a spare when I pick up the generator I will check if its up to date.

20. Pretty s good #'s for slightly fluffed 195's

21. Race Schedule:
    Friday - 12:00pm - Racing starts
    3:00pm North VS South Shootout
    4:30pm Great Lakes Gassers VS Nostalgia Gasser Racing Assoc.
    6:00pm North VS South Shootout

Saturday - 10:00am Racing Starts
    1:58pm National Anthem
    2:00pm Match Racing starts 2:00pm
    2:00pm Great Lakes Gassers VS Nostalgia Gasser Racing Assoc.
    4:00pm North Vs South Shootout FINAL
    6:00pm Great Lakes Gassers VS Nostalgia Gasser Racing Assoc. FINAL
    7:00pm or 8pm Gears & Gals Pin Up Contest

Sunday - 10:00am Racing Starts
    1:00pm B'Z Rods Shootout
    Open match racing

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Whit that polar plunge coming better tell are carb guys to tune for that northern air dont want the the guys from the north to have a home court advantage.

23. Byron's altitude is 685.7 feet so it's not a big issue however the Corrected altitude plays a big role as the temperature and humidity change.

Then you'd better be on the ball with your adjustments!

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

24. I am going to try and make it for the North South Gasser shootout but dont see my name on the poster... If ya look back on post (I cant quote on this new format yet) # 167 I signed on fer the south...am I in if'n I can makes it?

25. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

Redline, your in the North, you would race with my team, and right now i have lost a few guys and could probably use you. =)

26. DEANs427

DEANs427

I am available to race for the north, #242, B/G

27. Ya Redline, you can be "Engine Bro" :)

redlineracer42 likes this.
  28. Saxxon

Saxxon

We bent the Scout !!
    Got to make 2 passes today. The first was underwhelming so I'll avoid a comment on it. The second we tweaked the carbs a bit and went back out. I had the rev limiter dialed back lower than I normally have it for the trans brake so I figure...what the hell ! ...oops ! 3000 rpm trans brake launch stood the Scout straight up. Re-entry was harsh and then back up it went ... Mike Belina would have been proud of me. The second return to earth was a little harsher. I backed out to assess the damage but it handled well so I finished the pass. On the way back the starter vaulted over the guardrail and approached the Scout. I thought for sure he was going to chew me out... nope ... 2 thumbs up and an emphatic..."Holy Shit Davey !!" Every photographer at the line were grinning from ear to ear. Guess it was entertaining.

The damage... I swapped the axle this year because I bent the old one at Meltdown 3... well... now my new axle looks the same as my old one. Just not as bad. I had planned to pull it all apart Monday for paint so now I guess I'm taking some extra time to try and reduce the variance. Regardless ... The Scout will be running at Meltdown.

The Prefect passed tech and made a very soft pass. It was really rich but we didn't have time to adjust it. Besides... we really have no idea what we are doing with mechanical injection. Car looked cool though.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    II FUNNY likes this.
  29. Scoot + Stout = "Scout"

30. "Engine Bro"???? Well....I have bean called "Outtaline" instead of "Redline"..... back in my wild ass youth.....