Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. All Pre-registered Meltdown attendees:

Thank you very much for pre-registering for the 5th Meltdown Drags. We are exactly 4 weeks away from the Meltdown Drags and we wanted to take this time to prepare everyone for the event. Below you will find some key pieces of information that will be extremely important that everyone understands to ensure we can have an amazing event:

Track Entry:

There are two gates at the Byron Speedway. The East entrance will be clearly marked as “Racer only”. Members of the Meltdown Drags Association will be at the entrance to greet you, answer questions and speed up the entry process.

Have your pre-registration number (the pre-registration number will become your race number) and driver’s license ready when you pull in to speed up the entry process.

The West entrance is for spectators, show cars, swap meet vendors and anybody else who is not bringing in a race car.

Pit Parking:

Pit Parking is going to be tight this year due to the overwhelming response to this event. We can easily fit up to 500 entrants into the space, but we need your help. We are only going to allow race cars and tow vehicles/trailers to park in the pits. Any other vehicles will need to park in spectator parking. For those of you who can, we would appreciate parking trailers in the designated “trailer parking lot” on the map. If you need to leave the grounds with your tow vehicle, you will be allowed back in at the race car gate.

Security:

While hundreds of people will be sleeping in campers, their trucks or camping, Byron Dragaway has hired night-time security for the event to protect equipment at the site.

Re-entry:

For those drivers who want to take their race-car to Sam’s Drive-In for dinner one of the nights you can exit and return via the “Racer only” entrance. For those of you who are taking a vehicle to a hotel for the night, you will need to re-enter through the spectator gate and park the vehicle in the spectator parking lot, unless it is a race car.

Goodie Bags:

Goodie Bags will be given to the first 400 racers to arrive at the event.

Meltdown Drags Merchandise:

We will be selling shirts, hats and other items at the booth on the map. Since this event is self-funded, we are only able to print a limited number of shirts, posters and other items. We highly recommend you make your purchase early in the event before we run out.

First-Aid Booth:

Due to the potential for warm and humid temperatures in July, a first aid booth will be on site. Remember to stay hydrated (with water) and get in the shade.

Tech Inspection:

Tech inspection is available all day each day of the event. You only need to have your vehicle teched once for the entire weekend. The tech inspectors will be wearing orange shirts and located at the tech booth as indicated on the map. Remember to have water in your radiator (not anti-freeze) as that helps reduce track downtime. Since Byron is an NHRA track, all other safety requirements can be found at www.nhra.com

Period Correct Look:

Remember to ensure that your vehicle is period correct. If you said you were going to change your current pro-star wheels, we expect that you did. Cars that do not have period correct wheels, scoops, etc. will not be allowed to race.

Need Help?

Members of Meltdown Drags Association will be wearing white shirts each day. Find one of us and we will do everything within our power to assist you.

Food & Beverage:

The track has an excellent food stand that will be open each day. The track does NOT have a liquor license so it is bring your own beer. Please only bring can beer on site and we highly recommend that you support our sponsor Miller Brewing Company. Treat yourself to the High Life!

Map:

Two maps of the property has been attached for your reference.

The Meltdown Drags Association is looking forward to having each of you attend the 5th Meltdown Drags. We put this event on for you and look forward to this year being even better than the last. Be safe, be respectful and have fun.

Lastly, you can expect another update from us one week prior to the event.

Attached Files:

II FUNNY likes this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looking at an aerial view of the place where would a person pit/ camp with tents maybe in or close to trees?

3. Danny G

Danny G

Are there electrical plugs in the pits or will we need to bring generators ?

4. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I don't think there are any spots to camp with trees, I brought my own 10x10 canopy last year to get out of the sun.

5. There is no electrical anywhere in the pits. You will need to bring a generator. Thanks!

6. speedwise

speedwise

7. speedwise

speedwise

Stupid question Paul, when you say "gate time" does that mean that's when the racers can enter or can we enter earlier and not be racing? Is gate time racing time? Damn this does sound stupid....does anyone know what I'm trying to ask?

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

I think by gate time he means the gates open at the track to allow entry to the property.

You sound like you've done some horse racing in the past too Speedwise..?

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. If you don't know what a "gate job" is, we and "the child" will be giving lessons all weekend! :)

10. Gate time is when the entry gates into the property are staffed by the track employees to take money and give wristbands. Remember we don't have anything to do with this aspect of the event. This is what the track management told us to post.
    Now common sense tells me that if it is 7:30am and cars are backed up a mile already then they will need to be opened up early.

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

Got a little side bet set up with my wife's uncle....seems he thinks his BMW Z3 roadster (woman's car...let's be perfectly honest), thinks he will beat the Shaker in a little stoplight to stoplight action....

Told the Wife if his mouth wasn't so big,I wouldn't be taking his money,but he got himself into this,so he's definitely gonna get a "gate job" put on him Ric!

:D

Scott

12. Bavarian
    Manure
    Wagon

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You better hope its not a M power car.
    Bull
    Manure
    Wagon

14. powrshftr

powrshftr

It's an M car,but he is more suited to driving a Prius than a sports car,so I'll leave on him real hard with my cheater slicks,get a couple car lengths on him,then get on the brakes.
    He can't shift or launch the thing to save his life,but MAN,you should hear this lil feller chirp about how fast his car is....:)

Scott

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Ok dist in and new plug wires run shit may have time to doll it up a bit before the meltdown. IMAG0485.jpg IMAG0486.jpg

16. powrshftr

powrshftr

Don't make it pretty!!!

It looks too mean the way it is!If
    You try to dress it up you're gonna wreck it!

Scott

17. Beaten
    Merciless by
    Windsor

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am sure I have a reverse tattoo of that M/T on me somewhere.
    That new dist looks out of place on my heap.

55belairx2 likes this.
  19. powrshftr

powrshftr

The Pork Chop Wedge...:D

Scott

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Shit Scott thanks for that now I have to cleanup my work bench. I spewed my miller high life on that one.

55belairx2 likes this.
  21. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Wow, it's getting panic time, broke my tail shaft on my Richmond tranny, got a new one, now that I put it back together, I cant get it to not be in reverse, i have taken it apart 5 times and still cant figure out why it wont come out of reverse! GRRRRRRR. Time is running out!

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

sounds like the fork is falling out when the housing is going back on if its like a T10.

23. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

I'm not sure.....its like the little fork isn't getting in between the gear. Why does this stuff always happen when you are in a hurry? lol

24. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I never make a straight axle with out a order because I never know the length or what king pin bosses.
    But I am thinking of bringing a 48 & 51" axle with me. Now the question is ford or chevy?????
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404599699.461479.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404599809.786678.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404599851.223579.jpg

I only use USA made steel and tubing no china shit here!!!!!

WACCUSTOMS.COM

saltflats and II FUNNY like this.
  25. 55chieftain

55chieftain

FWIW I got the rubber hoses removed from the trans lines so feel a little better about that. Hate to have a chance to make a mess and slow down the race.

Really the best way I should have fixed the trans lines was to add a 3rd pedal LOL, maybe down the road.

Are there any scales at the track? I've been there a few times just wondering if I missed something. This will be #3 Meltdown for me.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  26. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

BCCHOPIT that some beautiful work.

28. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Thanks....
    If you see my van stop and say HI...

WACCUSTOMS.COM

29. Joe,,I have a good clutch guy,Tim Hyatte. He follows NHRA circuit so ya just send all yer shrapnel to him along with a fistfulla cash and he will turn it around inna couple days good as new. I fragged a disc and it looked like a bomb went off in the can but tis good now. I run a slipper clutch with Hyatte billet levers and counterwieghts.I broke ALOTTA stuff before I gotta handle on it....