Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

2. Scott, I love your enthusiasm & confidence im our ability, but if this thing climbs anywhere north if 675 I'll be doing cartwheels. Saltflats, your real close, my guess is 683, and the guesses amongst us are between 678-693. We should know by 1-2pm.

3. powrshftr

powrshftr

Lol!
    I was basing it on some real hot 10.5:1 408 Windsor Fords I've seen in the past,but I just went back and realized my fat thumbs hit a "7" instead of a "6".....Now I feel like I cheated you a bit...Haha

Get that thing up and snortin' soon Ric!:)

Car was just dropped off at the sign shop.....I'm really nervous now.

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Hey rick, dont add oil on the first coupla pulls, the oil will add restriction thereby reducing the total horsepower......pm me for the formulia.......
    Im thinking 700 hp cause YOU built it

5. Johnny, you are one cool cat, I gotta say, but we fell a bit short of your expectations I'm afraid. My super duper ultra low drag ring pack, is a taste to low for this passenger car block wet sump engine. With straight 30W oil to help the compression ring get comfortable, the plugs were just a hair on the moist side around the edge of the body, but the porcelain, ground strap etc. are dry. With a small 2mm oil ring (.078) instead of the more traditional 3/16 (.188) or 3mm (.118) it is more difficult for thicker oil to get through the oil ring and return holes, headed back to the sump. After a few good tugs to get everything happy, we changed to 5W/30 to try improving oil drain/return (like they use in modern cars with narrow oil rings, it helped alot, its about 90-95% dry now. We also went against out better judgement and used the HP robbing high volume pump, that was supplied with the Milodon pan, because I was too dang lazy to get a std. volume unit and blue print it as usual. So we have 70 psi idling & 90 wide open instead of our normal 45 psi @ idle & 60ish wide open. I believe this may be aggrivating some oil control as I'm sure there is more oil spraying out of everything inside the engine. Lastly, I built theses pistons last September (9 months ago) and have since come up with some new improved cam/barrel shapes for the pistons that are 10-15hp better than what I have on these pistons. We fell short by 30-35HP of we were expecting, she made 642 @ 6800 & 565 fl lbs. @5200. We'll tune her up a little more when we get back from Illinois, but its what we got for now as the 416 bad boy won't be ready. Looks like we will have to settle for the lower 10 second group this year, and eat a little crow from gentleman Johnny Rotten.

6. loudbang

loudbang

Is your battery mounted on the drivers side. Sure looks like it in this photo.

[​IMG]

7. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Thats still over 1.5 hp per cube...that little motor is no slouch. Now get working on the rest of it...28 days tick tock tick tock.lol

Meltdown Drags July 18-20 2014

8. Saxxon

Saxxon

28 days tick tock tick tock.lol

Scout is running and the front end is done. I have 2 race dates to get it dialed in for the Meltdown. The problem has been the huge amounts of rain we have been getting. New records being set for the month and it's only the 20th ... with 3 days of thinderstorms being predicted. Last week was rained out (I was fishing so couldn't race) and God only knows what we will have at the end of the month.

9. koop13

koop13
    from Wisconsin

OFFICIAL MELTDOWN DRAGS UPDATE:

All Pre-registered Meltdown attendees:

Thank you very much for pre-registering for the 5th Meltdown Drags. We are exactly 4 weeks away from the Meltdown Drags and we wanted to take this time to prepare everyone for the event. Below you will find some key pieces of information that will be extremely important that everyone understands to ensure we can have an amazing event:

Track Entry:
    There are two gates at the Byron Speedway. The East entrance will be clearly marked as “Racer only”. Members of the Meltdown Drags Association will be at the entrance to greet you, answer questions and speed up the entry process.
    Have your pre-registration number (the pre-registration number will become your race number) and driver’s license ready when you pull in to speed up the entry process.
    The West entrance is for spectators, show cars, swap meet vendors and anybody else who is not bringing in a race car.

Pit Parking:
    Pit Parking is going to be tight this year due to the overwhelming response to this event. We can easily fit up to 500 entrants into the space, but we need your help. We are only going to allow race cars and tow vehicles/trailers into the pits. Any other vehicles will need to park in spectator parking. For those of you who can, we would appreciate parking trailers in the designated “trailer parking lot” on the map.

Security:
    While hundreds of people will be sleeping in campers, their trucks or camping, Byron Dragaway has hired night-time security for the event to protect equipment at the site.

Re-entry:
    For those drivers who want to take their race-car to Sam’s Drive-In for dinner one of the nights you can exit and return via the “Racer only” entrance. For those of you who are taking a vehicle to a hotel for the night, you will need to re-enter through the spectator gate and park the vehicle in the spectator parking lot, unless it is a race car.

Goodie Bags:
    Goodie Bags will be given to the first 400 racers to arrive at the event.

Meltdown Drags Merchandise:
    We will be selling shirts, hats and other items at the booth on the map. Since this event is self-funded, we are only able to print a limited number of shirts, posters and other items. We highly recommend you make your purchase early in the event before we run out.

First-Aid Booth:
    Due to the potential for warm and humid temperatures in July, a first aid booth will be on site. Remember to stay hydrated (with water) and get in the shade.

Tech Inspection:
    Tech inspection is available all day each day of the event. You only need to have your vehicle teched once for the entire weekend. The tech inspectors will be wearing orange shirts and located at the tech booth as indicated on the map. Remember to have water in your radiator (not anti-freeze) as that helps reduce track downtime. Since Byron is an NHRA track, all other safety requirements can be found at www.nhra.com

Period Correct Look:
    Remember to ensure that your vehicle is period correct. If you said you were going to change your current pro-star wheels, we expect that you did. Cars that do not have period correct wheels, scoops, etc. will not be allowed to race.

Need Help?
    Members of Meltdown Drags Association will be wearing white shirts each day. Find one of us and we will do everything within our power to assist you.

Food & Beverage:
    The track has an excellent food stand that will be open each day. The track does NOT have a liquor license so it is bring your own beer. Please only bring can beer on site and we highly recommend that you support our sponsor Miller Brewing Company. Treat yourself to the High Life!

Map:
    Two maps of the property has been attached for your reference.

The Meltdown Drags Association is looking forward to having each of you attend the 5th Meltdown Drags. We put this event on for you and look forward to this year being even better than the last. Be safe, be respectful and have fun.
    Lastly, you can expect another update from us one week prior to the event.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Loudbang yes its on the drivers side.

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

Going to pick up the car from the sign shop in 15 minutes.....I'm so nervous I could throw up right now.

Scott

twoponchos and Bean Dip like this.
  12. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

It will look pretty odd to you at first then after about 5 minutes you won't remember what it looked like before the lettering. Kinda like having children...but not really. :D

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well come on Scott the suspense is killin us.
    I hope it is an original.

14. powrshftr

powrshftr

Saltflats:
    It's not an original,but kind of a composite of several of my favorite cars from the mid 60's....I really thing the sign guy did a pretty good job nailing the vibe.

Bean Dip:
    You pretty much nailed it.I don't want to take the lettering off of this thing....Ever.:)
    It used to just get looks like "Oh,there's some noisy old car...whatever.."
    On the way from the sign shop I had no less than a dozen people in parking lots,on the sidewalk,in front yards,at a body shop,all stop and stare at the car,or yell out "nice car!", or something similar.
    Hell,I actually had one car chase me to get a better look at it,and a truck full of construction guys almost smashed into me while the driver was staring and pointing at it to his buddies!:)

Anyway,no matter how period correct the car looks,it's technically not a HAMB friendly car,so I don't wanna step Ryan's toes by posting pictures of it on here.

I will ask him if he minds tomorrow,then maybe I can share a couple of pictures with you guys.

If not,you'll just have to wait til July 18th to see it.....;)

Scott

15. loudbang

loudbang

Not trying to be contrary but the norm has been on the passenger side for increased traction. Are you trying something new or have space limitations?

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I was planning on installing it on the pass side then Rick chimed in and gave me a schooling on what was happening in the rear of the car on launch and it made since to me so this is the route I took.

I am not sure that this whale of a car that I have has a rear weight problem any way.

I will look back in these post and see if I can find the one and quote it if I can figure out how to do that.

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Loudbang it was in page 63 post #1875

18. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

On the new H.A.M.B. is the attachment somewhere else, or am i missing something?

19. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Looking forward to my 3rd trip to the Meltdown, for the first time I won't be working at the last minute to get ready. Should be quite a bit quicker this year, also looking forward to running 1/4 mile instead of the 1/8 i've been doing.

Here is a link to the map of the track.

Attached Files:

20. powrshftr

powrshftr

Here's a little teaser of the new lettering and decals... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403392312.631796.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403392334.223999.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403392353.648140.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403392371.627120.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403392394.482610.jpg

Asked for Ryan's blessing on posting a few full size pics of the car,as it's a bit o/t.....

Scott

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looking good Scot.
    The Jardine headers reminds me of my old SL 350 Honda with Jardine TT pipes man those people in church on sunday morn must have hated me.

22. Ok,...I suggested this before...by now there must be close to 100 tri-five Chevies comin;...is there any way to get em lined up on both sides of the strip (at an angle) maybe Friday evening or sometime,...this would be a great photo op.

23. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks Man!

Just waiting for Ryan's blessing before I post anything bigger.....

Scott

24. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

What lettering I can see looks outstanding, guy is good!

25. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks Brother!

Wait til you see the whole thing.....lots of gold leaf lettering in a period correct style,and overall,I'm pretty proud of it.:)

Scott

26. Saxxon

Saxxon

Ever have one of those days... especially when the big day is looming ??

For the most part a good day yesterday. Bled brakes, added trans fluid and legal length wheel studs and chased brake fluid leaks on the new lines and fiddled with "stuff" then - after topping the trans fluid ... Puke... water leak from the front inlet - behind the engine plate. Couldn't have been a worse place for a water leak. Nothing like taking out the rad and peeling off the front of the engine.

Oh well, better at the shop than at the track

27. Class Reunion

Class Reunion
    from N.E. PA

Koop, the re-entry paragraph is not clear on tow vehicles that leave and return.

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Sorry to hear that Saxxon....Hope your luck turns around and it's all smooth sailing from here on out:)

Scott

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Do people camp where they pit ?
    What if primitive camping ?

30. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Yes, you can camp where you pit. My group and others stayed in a tent if thats what you mean my primitive camping. Right next to the truck and trailer. Might want to pit in the grass area if tent camping.