Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

I don't want you to take it the wrong way Man.I do appreciate your advice,because you have a ton of experience and knowledge,as do many of the other members on this thread.

I just wanted to head things off before they turned into a bash-fest.
    II could envision it turning into one of those "single vs dual master cyl" threads where a couple guys say they wouldn't run them,then within a few minutes there are 99 guys jumping down your throat telling you you're a dangerous lunatic who is going to kill thousands of innocent women and children and baby seals and wreck the ozone layer....:D

Im definitely going to run a 360 degree loop,most likely in the style of the one posted earlier that is fabbed to fit up tight to the tunnel.

Thanks for all your help guys.Its gonna be great to see this car go down the track after nearly a quarter century of ownership!:)

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  2. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Certainly am, flights booked, motels booked.
    Trucks staying at home, I'm just going to be an envious spectator, will crew for anyone that needs help though:D
    If it's half as good as you guys are saying I'll be the guy with the biggest grin on my face.

3. 9sectruck

9sectruck

If 9sectruck jumps across the pond and his ride lives up to the name, then he may have to put a tow bar on the back of it and haul me a cross the line just to keep it close. The again, I'm, hoping for a bit of improvement on the performance this year. I just need to find the time to actually put the little beast back together and sort it out. The Prefect is taking up a ton of time.

Saxxon,
    Username refers to my last ride, an Austin pickup which I never thought I'd sell but temptation in the form of the Willys came along so after 19 years we parted company, ran 9.60's with a 434 small block.
    Think I might have to make my new username 11sectruck as don't think this one will go much faster...........yet.
    Love the farm truck btw and the Prefect, guy that crews for me has one.

Attached Files:

4. I'm digg'n the argent wheels! Looks better than all white.

5. captmullette

captmullette

very very clean.....good job

6. Falcon Gasser,

Here's just another "Looks Killer" comment

The lettering really brought the theme to life:D

7. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Thanks for all the nice comments on the lettering and thanks Ric for the wheel comment, I also over the years grew tired of all the white and was ready for a change. Mike Veazy who did the lettering really made the car pop. My grandfather gave me the car 25 years ago and dad and I made it into a race car where its been on the track for 22 years now. And I really run a Howards Cam in this engine.

Taking it to the track this weekend and will get some better pictures out in the sun and going to try out my GoPro camera for the first time so I will post some stuff this weekend.

Hope to meet as many people from the HAMB as possible at the Meltdown drags, its going to be a great event.

Jon

8. I love it.

9. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Your car looks great, just like back in the day. Great job Jon
    Tell Anthony I said Hi..........see you soon Rotten

10. powrshftr

powrshftr

Got the driveshaft loop finished up today....some modified kit pieces,some fabbed pieces,but it all went together.
    It's just hanging there mocked up in the picture,not finish installed.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398379447.521281.jpg

Also got the Traction Masters in with a new fabricated mounting point,but my pictures didn't turn out...will post more tomorrow.

Scott

11. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Hard to tell from the pics but that looks more than 6" from the U-joint?

12. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was going to say the same thing, but it doesn't look like it would be difficul t relocate forward a bit if required.

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

Fack....there were beads in the floor pan in either direction so I mounted the brackets there.Its about 8 or 9 inches at most.Is that going to be an issue?I thought it was 12" from the u-joint?

Scott

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Scott the rulebook says 6 inches from center of front U joint to the front edge of your drive shaft loop.

15. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ruh Roh......Guess I have a wee bit more fabbing to do!:(

Scott

16. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

That is maximum. Can be closer.

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

I must have finally hit on a bit of good luck:
    From centerline of my front u-joint to leading edge of my loop is......

EXACTLY 6"....!

Now that I have used up all my luck,I'm preparing for every other job on the car to leave teeth marks in my ass....lol

Thanks guys.I really appreciate everyone's help.
    Really looking forward to meeting everyone at the Meltdown.

Scott

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Scott you are luckier than a dog with two dicks in an all female kennel.

19. powrshftr

powrshftr

That's a pretty lucky dog.:D

I couldn't believe it....6" EXACTLY.

Now I gotta go find me a "Kennel"...;)

Scott

20. powrshftr

powrshftr

Got the loop installed for good today ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398475676.933560.jpg

Also got the Traction Masters finished up (had to fab a longer forward mounting point due to the rearched springs ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398475747.072738.jpg

Got the seat brackets bent,cut,drilled,and test fitted
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398475783.400380.jpg

Also got the intake on the car.Also,with the new,shorter intake Im able to fit a 1" carb spacer.Between the dual plane intake and the spacer,I'm hoping there will be a pretty noticeable swell in bottom end and midrange torque.Based on previous experience,the cam I'm running really seems to work nice with dual plane intakes,but is a real dud with single planes...

Moving along pretty well:)

Scott

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You did good if I fall in a bucket of tits I come up sucking my thumbs.
    On another note I have been looking at these heads so much I am going crazy.
    I was thinking about angle milling the 906 heads some larger valves and start some porting.
    Then I put an Iron Eagle small block Chevy head on the bench just to take a look at and now I am scratching my head.

22. powrshftr

powrshftr

I wouldn't worry too much about the new Dart stuff.....just concentrate on what you can do with porting and angle milling your stuff.I bet theres a bunch of power in there.:)

I can't wait to see that Charger in action!:)

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

23. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Get after it! I won't say how many days you have left and freak Ric out, but its now less than three months:D

Meltdown Drags
    July 18-20 2014

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thanks for that II FUNNY. You know I have a 65 more door chevelle with a 509 inch BB that I could have finished but I have a lot of fun with the charger when I get the chance to play with it not to say that I have not had too much fun in the chevelle.

Ok put the fancy stuff back under the bench and stay on task. Taking the heads Monday to have them checked for cracks and then Lord help me.

25. power shift do you have leaf springs and bars of some sort under your car? if so are you also using some kind of floater as the springs and bars will be traveling in different arcs. this will cause a bind. i have never seen anyone angle mill 906 heads successfully. i would like to see facts that power can be found here. how are you going to fit the intake after the angles have been changed. you can port them and relieve them and put bigger valves in with some gains in power. the biggest thing holding back a mopar head is the area were the port turns down. the port gets small. even a max wedge head does this. go on indys web site to see cutaways of heads. indy head works so well because they don't do this. they have raised and larger ports with little taper. with the raised port comes a need for the longer bb chevy valve. by the time a guy goes through a set of 906 heads he can almost get a set of iron indys. do the math on it you may be surprised. the power level will far surpass a 906. i have run them both and there is no comparison. good used heads are out there to.

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

And then Tuesday you can get ta whittlin'!:)

Scott

And II Funny:

I'm going as fast as I can!I fly out tomorrow for 3 weeks up north to work,so I've got my Dad helping me chase the little jobs while I'm gone.
    It is DEFINITELY gonna be ready for the Meltdown!:)

27. powrshftr

powrshftr

RacerX:
    They're just stock Shelby under-ride bars made by Traction master.
    The gooey rubber bushings provide enough flex to keep things from binding up too bad.
    They were factory equipment on 65 and 66 Shelby's.
    They don't work nearly as good as Cal Tracs,but they are cheap and period correct for the car.

Scott

28. Saxxon

Saxxon

The Prefect took it's first tentative steps out of the shop... Ok...we pushed it into a trailer and took it to a car show... in snow storm.

The Rodarama show is put on by the Manitoba Street Rod Association. It's a no frills up close and personal event held in the middle of 2 hockey rinks. It's a very cool little gathering. The MSRA barely tolerate drag cars and are totally against trailer queens of any kind. But the hard core rod guys really liked the Ugly Beast and it's one of the few cars there that had folks stopping and there was a lot of smiles, pointing and and headshaking... I love it. A few of the old school guys actually asked if this was a restoration of a true barn find. We took that as a compliment...

Here are some crappy pics of the Ugly Beast's first public appearance

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  29. Oh man!, a 65 four door Chevelle with rat power!, you've been living in my dreams. Another bucket list car would be a '66 Nova, with an L78 396, or L72 427, and make it like Chevy built it, complete with Corvette exh manifolds.

30. Prefects are bitchen!