Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Ric - not worried about your skills with an untested car...YES bring it!!!!! of course.

2. Saxxon

Saxxon

Hey... any of you 426 Hemi guys care to donate one for the Scout cause ???

I'm kidding of course....
    Unless you have one...
    And willing...
    I'm not too proud...

When the Scout was built back in the 70's it had one of those big heavy elephant motors shoved in the firewall. Hence the original name ... Elephant Hunter... Local guy still has the headers for it. Throughout the 70's The little beast was run hard with a variety of Hemi set ups all across Western Canada

Tough call when I found what was left of it... restore it to what it was, and have a really cool show car that "might" be 1/8th mile legal or build it to current spec and run the piss out of it. I have never regretted my choice.

Attached Files:

3. Engine diapers from places like summit are only about 135.00. Not only do they keep the track clean they may keep you off the wall or off your roof. I think this piece of safety equip. Is one of the best things for drag racing. Not only does it contain a mess it keeps the oil cotained to give your fire system a fighting chance to put out a fire. Only the engine is on fire not the whole underneith of the car. The tires also dont get oiled. They are easy on and off. Pop it on for the track off for the street. Very cheap insurance.

4. "Bullet Proof", that's one of my dad's old sayings as well. I remember him telling me of going to visit some Canadian woodsman type relatives, when he was young. He said "those people were were bullet proof and hard as rail road track living up there. They were real bad asses, and could drive a 2"-3" nail into lumber flush with one hammer blow! My grandpa and his three brothers were all bow & arrow, as well as rifle hunters, and all helped each other build bitchen family cabins in Shawnee Land Virginia. Unfortunately, in the early 80's, the four brothers got a hair in there asses to sell the cabins, and buy apartments in Ocean City Maryland (they sold those off too). Within months of my grandpa dying, my grandma decided to have a garage sale ( she didn't tell any of us until afterwards), she was so happy, because the first guy who came by, took all of grandpa's old stuff, and gave her a whopping $25.00. All his tools, guns, bows & arrows, cross bows, hunting knives, fishing poles & tackle, sking equiment, snow shoes, golf clubs, and the cue de gra', a 4'x4'x3' Army Surplus crate full of teens n twenties N.O.S. Model A truck parts, (head & tail light assemblies, mirrors, door handed etc. etc. left over from World War 1 that my dad had won at a government auction for $5 bucks! My grandpa, worked for the government, and gave my dad a nonchalant tip about the auction, and said crate. As a Christian, I'm led to forgive, as I have been forgiven, but that dude that took her like that was a hard one, even harder than forgiving grandma for that fateful garage sale.

5. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396651711.000874.jpg My 11 yr old boy bought a decal on ebay, hoping to get it signed. We are ready for the meltdowns now. He also wants me to hurry up and paint our dash so the Camfather can hopefully sign it

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Blue plexi roof insert! EEEeeeeeey! Be still my heart! Did you see the baby blue Tudor sedan in Hot Rod Deluxe awhile back that was built by the owner of Skinny Kid Race Cars for himself? He had a blue plexi roof insert & windows.

PS. Blue plexi is yesterdays news, get over, I did long ago.

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ric,
    It makes me feel sick inside hearing that some lowlife scammed your Grandma out of all your Grandfather's stuff for pocket change.
    The frustrating part,aside from the fact that the scumbag got away with it,is that you guys got cheated out of having all that great stuff of your Grandfather's to pass down to your kids.....Monetary value aside,that stuff was worth millions when measured in memories.A man's hunting and fishing stuff,and his tools,are where you can really get to know some cool stuff about who he was.

Glad you're not dwelling on it and letting bitterness and hatred poison you.It takes a pretty big person to forgive sometimes,but you're a better person for it.
    Nice job Brother.:)

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

Basically,the coupe is gonna be a lot like what the Mooneyham & Sharp 554 car would have been if they had started with an earlier model coupe.....

And it's gonna have a blue plexiglass grille insert too....rad under deck lid.

I'm probably gonna have to turn the garden hose on you every time you get near the coupe at next year's Meltdown!Haha!
    :D

Scott

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

That's a pretty good point right there.

I remember the seemingly fearless Billy Glidden describing an incident a few years ago,where an engine failure resulted in him driving over the contents of his own oil pan.
    Now keep in mind,this guy was young,fearless,and second generation drag racing royalty....and you could hear the dread and fear in his voice when he talked about the car getting out of shape on him at 140+.

That was all the endorsement I needed to hear.

Scott

10. I've been known to have my eyes glaze over, start drueling, and dry humping cars with blue Plexiglas.., keep that hose ready. The blue grill insert on the Mooneyham & Sharp car, is the "Cats Ass"!

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

I got so stupid when I saw that car at the Garlits museum that I thought they were gonna show me the door....:D

If there is one single car that influenced me more than any other,that was definitely the one.

MUY Mojo,that one....!

Scott

12. Probably a lame question then, but have you checked out their Facebook page? If not..,enjoy!

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

It was the strangest thing....I checked out that Facebook page and suddenly my pants started to get tighter....lol!

14. fires are unpredictable with varying levels of fear and danger. i rolled a sprag in the lenco down in rockingham,nc. and the engine let go. the ensuing fire had flames that would swirl in and out of the floor board gaps. it looked real cool like rolling waves around my fire boots. it totally distracted me for a moment on the upcoming bill to fix things. then there was the time i pushed a front trans seal out of the bruno at maple grove at a buck eighty that got my attention. the smoke was so thick i couldn't see my hands on the wheel. i hit the bottles and chutes right away. i looked out the passenger window to see where i was on the track and all i saw was flames blowing in the car. i started thinking if i survive this little mishap its going to be expensive. i had hit the bottles already and just held on pushing the brake pedal hard. i felt the chutes hit and waited to hit something hard. its a weird feeling not having any idea if you are sideways or upside down or both. i started to hear the tires skidding over the hissing fire bottles and all of a sudden the harness that was putting pressure on my chest was relaxed and the feeling of forward motion had stopped. i unhooked my harness and got out quick. the fire system worked as it should have. i stood there looking at the car amazed it was all ok. the car was still in my lane and straight. i remember saying to myself wow what a ride that was crazy but i don't need to that again. just another day at the track match racing. there were others but these two just came to mind. be safe out there.

15. Giveaway dragster at the GSTA Gopher State Timing Associationshow April 5-6 Minnesota State Fairgrounds. Check out the rear wheels that American Rebel Wheels donated! Moon donated the tank, and Towel City donated the slicks. You can see the names of all the sponsors on the board! Thanks to everyone involved in this project! Who ever gets it is gonna be very lucky!

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      93.3 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      96.3 KB
      Views:
  16. For those of you not pre registered, you better hurry. We have 350 cars on the list already! Here are a few of them for your viewing pleasure:

Attached Files:

17. King Chassis in Da House!

Attached Files:

18. Gopher State Timing Association

Attached Files:

19. Jeff P. from Arnold Missouri

Attached Files:

20. Organ Grinder

Attached Files:

21. Suicide King

Attached Files:

22. Dave's 32 from Midland MI

Attached Files:

23. Mark's 34 from St. Louis Missouri

Attached Files:

24. Saxxon

Saxxon

The dragster is awesome... !!!
    Well done guys...

Oh, by the way... a little while back we were amazed how many cars have signed up so early, well... it's not that early anymore... get on it *Says the guy who's entry is still in pieces

25. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

[​IMG]
    HOLY SMOKES IS THIS BAD ASS!!!!!

26. This thing is OUT-O-SIGHT!, LOVE EM WITH FENDERS!.., AND ITS BLOWN WITH A SUICIDE AXLE AND MOTORCYCLE TIRES! THEY SHOULD CALL THIS "THE WHEEL BARREL" CAUSE ITS CARRYING SOME HUEVOS!

27. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I managed to get the dragster out today for a pic or two and clean my garage out so I can actually get some work done its been a long winter anyhow here is some progress photos not much time left to get this thing ready for the meltdown

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chrome don't get ya home

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Wrenchbender that's looking good. I have been collecting parts to build one the these cars for a club car. Did you build the chassis?

29. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Yes salt flats I did I just studied lots of pics and just went to town bending tubing I still have lots to do but nothing I can't handle

Chrome don't get ya home

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I like what you are doing. The small tube lower rail looks better to me than the large tube.