Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Waaaay cool Dave!

2. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

The Twin is getting closer to appearing as a Modified Roadster!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

3. powrshftr

powrshftr

There are no words for how cool that thing is......!

Scott

4. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thank you Scott! End results for the day.

Attached Files:

5. powrshftr

powrshftr

When I was a kid I found a 1961 issue of Car Craft (and Kart!) magazine in a musty old antique store my Grandparents dragged me into.....
    Contained in that magazine were photos of the first time the NHRA US Nationals were held in Indy.
    There were about a dozen cars pictured that looked incredibly close to your car.
    It looks so right,and that twin engine setup just puts it over the top.

You really nailed it Man.Nice job!

Scott

6. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thank you again, 1960 was the era I was shooting for.....Stromberg carbs, large roll bar, etc. Wanting to do as much as I could by myself was the goal and not having any real money to throw at the Twin kept me on track. :)
    Really looking forward to the event!

7. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Rocky - just bought a shirt....sorry posted on the other thread....LOL....XL

Koop

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  8. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thank You Koop, really looking forward to July!
    Supporters interested in helping me make the trip to BYRON IL. for the Meltdown Drags in July can help by buying an Evil Twin Shirt, $15 for adult Small to XXL and $20 for 3XL & 4xl ea. Shirts will be printed in July and delivered to the event. For $5 supporters who are not local or going to the event can have their shirt shipped at the end of July. If for some reason I fail to make it to Byron I will ship your shirt and pay the shipping out of pocket. PayPal payments can be made to [email protected] or send to Rocky Phillips 1879 E Adams Ave. Fresno Ca. 93725
    [​IMG]

If my promotion offends anyone I will remove it no problem. Rocky

9. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I wish this was a little closer. 15 hr car ride from Ct.

WACCUSTOMS.COM

10. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

I promise you, its the best vintage drag meet you have ever been to. NOTHING COMES CLOSE!!!! If you come, the 15 hour ride home will have you talking about what you will be building for next year! I will be testing your axle out there this year finally!!

11. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

I am looking forward to this BIG TIME ! Working on my rear wheels and got lots to do get it track worthy. It's a 7 hour drive for me and my son but we will be driving the 55 there ! I hope there are good replacement parts in the swap meet area, I may need something to make it home !

12. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

There are guys making 30 hr drives ONE WAY!!!! DO NOT MISS IT MAN!!!! Fly into Chicago to check it out...not a far drive from the Airport!

13. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

The drive is part of the adventure ! My sons never been on a road trip like this let alone in a noisy old 55 Chevy ! Can't wait !

14. Saxxon

Saxxon

15. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

My wheels are turning... Any one need a straight axle to help with the gas :)

WACCUSTOMS.COM

16. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

There will be some space in the back seat, not sure what we will be bringing. I don't think we can "put the tools up against 300", my heap is a good bit slower than the Two Lane car but that would be fun !

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  17. 62Furious

62Furious

18. I am pleased to announce that Gears and Gals Magazine will be putting out a special edition for this year’s Meltdown Drags. The first 400 cars registered will get this issue with their entry fee. We will also have them for sale on our website and at the Meltdown Drags. We will have car features, stories, and of course, plenty of lovely pin-up girls. We also want to hear from you. We are looking to share your stories as well. Do you have an interesting tale to tell? Something you think would fit in the magazine. Let me know by sending them to me at [email protected]

19. Here's a thought:

Bring an axle (or a couple) along and sell at the swap! ;)

Swap Meet space / Car Show entry is FREE with paid spectator admission. Cool thing is you can see the cars racing down the track from the car show and swap meet areas. Rules for the swap are simple - no flea market type crap allowed, just appropriate car and speed parts. Car show is 1972 & older cars.

All the rules are posted on the website at www.meltdowndrags.com

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just curious….how many cars usually attend? The first 400? Dang……..
    Any idea how many from each class?

21. The first Meltdown Drags in 2010 had 30 cars. The next year it was 130 in the rain, then 300 for 2012, then 400 for 2013... As of now, we have 300+/- cars preregistered already, so be sure to get it on this while the gate is still open... ;) As for how many are in each class, the best way may be to look at the Meltdown Drags facebook page and the "2014 pre registered cars" album to see what is preregistered so far. FED's, altereds, gassers, A/FX, superstocks, hot rods, vintage bikes... they are all getting in on the action!

22. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

I got hosed on Ebay purchase for wheels ! Couldn't see in the pics that the lug holes were screwed up. They seller told me to just use bigger lug nuts ! Not gonna use wheels were the lugs don't seat properly and attempt to run it down the track, UNSAFE I THINK ! I appreciate Falfasnightmare for trying to help me out here. I don't care if these wheels are rusty, crusty, dirty. I can and would rather fix them up. Looking for 15 x 8, 4 3/4 Chevy pattern, 4 in backspacing. Don't have tons to spend something in the $150 range. If someone is in my area of Ohio where I can pic them up, that's even better ! PM me with details and maybe we can even barter some of the stuff I keep tripping over. HELP ! I now have a NEED to make it to the Meltdown. Sure don't want to miss it because I can't find wheels.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  23. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks. I will check it out.

24. bfala55 first sep is to contact the seller about the problem. it sounds like you have. second contact ebay within thirty days. there is a buyer protection policy to prevent this sort of thing. ebay will contact the seller and will resolve the issue. they can go right into his account and get the money. it works i have done this before. i was very impressed how fast they worked for me. don't let the guy screw you.

25. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

PLEASE HELP BFALFA55 if you have slots or steel wheels, or chrome reversed.....there must be someone out here with a set on the shelf!!!
    2 posts up...

26. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Thanks racer-x. I know it happens fast. Had a dispute against me once where they said they never receive what I sold but I am quite sure they did get it. They didn't even let me debate it the money was out of my account before I cold sat anything ! The seller probably didn't think (and I guess I should ave asked) it was that important because in his words "I was running them on a Chevy and they worked just fine. Use some bigger lug nuts." I am betting his car would not pass an inspection at the Meltdown Drags. I think I will actually turn this into a joke when I get to the Meltdown, so look for it !

27. Do these wheels use a "seated" lug nut, or a "through" style lug nut & are they steel or aluminum. We bought some old aluminum 5 spoke Radir's awhile back that had to much back space (5"). I had my nephew make some 1" spacers with a register for the center of the wheel. The wheels were originally "seated/chamfer style, but I found some chrome through nuts to go through the wheel & spacer, and ended up about .050 or so shy of the back of the wheel. I drilled out the stud hole in the wheels to the diameter of the lug shank (converted the wheel to through style), it worked just fine. Long story, short, if its any kind of a cast wheel with seat nuts, you can probably drill/machine them out for the through style and save them.

28. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

If these lug nuts will help you let me know, they are 7/16-20 thread for the studs....stock chevy I believe...with a .675 o.d. shank that goes into the wheel.
    DSC_0773.jpg

29. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Thanks Panneton & BigDrag I thought about doing something like that to salvage them but for what they are I would rather put that effort into some nicer wheels. They actually were "seated" steel wheels. Looks to me like someone ran them on a car where the wheel didn't hub up on the center and they just let the lugs locate and hold the wheel on. Because of that, for all I know they aren't true anymore. Don't need wobbly wheels at the top end of the track ! I'm sure I'll get the refund. I'll find something. A few things are keeping me on a tighter budget right now, so I am trying to think of a few things I can get rid of that I am not using to either sell or barter. Anybody need a brand new Hayes Borg & Beck style pressure plate and 10 spline clutch disc ? Have to check if it is 10.5 or 11 in diameter. New about $350 I would trade it for something I could use. PM if anybody is interested.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  30. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

I am impressed too with 400 cars ! Summer 2010 I worked the track at Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk, Ohio for a "Pinks All Out" event and that had just over 400 cars entered. I helped tech most of them. That was a long, fun day ! This sounds more fun by the day !