Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

2. 62Furious

62Furious

Bring that old car I would like to check it out, being an old MOPAR guy myself

3. Saxxon

Saxxon

[QUOTEoff to the beach this weekend for camping, relaxing from working in a 60 degree garage at night, and fun in the sun while drinking frosty adult beverages, check! (that ones for Scott Mcfrozen Shifter & Mr. MySaxxon Ice). :)[/QUOTE]

Snow shovelled from yesterday's dump...check... more snow today...check... temps dipping to -30 by end of the week...check...picture of some clown from CA laughing his ass off at us added to my dart board...check (Oh God...why why why do I live here ??)

On the automotive side... The Scout's 406 got a clean bill of health from the builder (Brazier Race and Machine). Blower has been modified with sealed bearings in the back so it shouldn't be pumping gear oil into the engine anymore, all the crappy workmanship from the last idiot has been corrected. Trans and convertor bolted to the engine... If I can get through the snow storm it's all going into the Scout...today !!

4. 3 Day Forecast:
    Thursday 74/51
    Friday 80/52
    Saturday 84/51

Sending warm thoughts to all my new "snow buddies". Now, were was I?.., oh ya, umm margarita or pina colada.., hey Scott/Dave, can ya send some ice, gett'n a little low.

5. powrshftr

powrshftr

You're a dirty dog Ricardo......Haha!:)

Just got off the phone with the spring guy,and the re-arch is only gonna set me back about a hundred bucks,with a 4 hr turn around time.When was the last time you got anything for the car and it was only $100,AND it was ready to pick up in 4 hrs...?!?!?!
    I'm diggin' it!:)

Also,I think I would melt in those conditions Ric....I'm not acclimated for that kinda heat.
    Remember,I spend 6 moths of the year in the arctic,my skin would probably just all peel off if I was out in the sun like that.
    Probably just leave the a/c running all weekend long in my tow rig at the Meltdown!lol!

Good to see you and Dave are getting all your parts in to get those evil monstrosities back together and scaring the hell put of the civilians though!:D

Hopefully I will be able to get things sharpened up a little with my little grocery getter before I roll into Illinois:)

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. On a serious note, you Northern Boys really impress me with the ability to deal with your climate, and work in those conditions. I'd probably wither up like an old raisin and die. If any of you need anything, don't hesitate to ask, I may be able to help.

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks Ric,
    Definitely appreciate the offer.
    You don't know any Ford hoarders with a C6 289 2x4 intake taking up space on a shelf,do you?

I will definitely be calling you when it's piston selection time for the Hemi.
    You guys can probably whip a set of Hemi blower pistons out in your sleep!:)

Scott

8. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Down here in southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois you get the worst of both worlds. Summer has been up to 100 degrees with rain forest like humidity and Winter goes down to -25 degrees below zero.

9. Ya, I'm already mentally preparing myself for
    90+ heat & 90+% humidity in July.., thinking about bring the car out in a 40 foot refer trailer!

10. I'll ask around. What I do have is a set S3258/S3259 AFB's that were used by Ford on a handful of 2/4bbl 289 Cobras & Mustang factory race cars (I think they rated those @ 306HP?) They are fresh and ready to go, but they are gonna be a few $$$ or a good trade.

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ric,
    Those carbs are a restoration jackpot!
    I'm gonna have to pass,as there is somebody with an early 289 cobra that will be turning over a lot of stones looking for those.
    However,on a whim 5 minutes ago,I checked Kijiji for Ford 2x4 listings and lo and behold,the intake I have been looking for is located 3-1/2 hrs from my house!
    ...And it only took me 20 yrs to find it...!lol!

It will be here in 2 weeks when I get back from up north:) ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394130896.797920.jpg

Scott

12. Niiiiiiice score!

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

When it rains it pours...!!!!!!
    Scored a polished Edelbrock crossram off fellow HAMBer ibtraderdave too...!!!

I thing I will have to drill and tap the two plenums and join them with a small length of heater hose to make it behave and work right though....that's why the M/T one always worked better.
    So,maybe I better slip that old Holman/Moody LeMans cam in for the meltdown and REALLY make er run...?:D

Scott

14. Hate to be the one to say it, but I'm bett'n the 2/4 dual plane slaughters that old "Ram Clog". I've seen to many manifold shootouts, where that manifold gets its ass handed to it by just about any thing else thats been made since the late 60's. They look cool/funky, but I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. :(

PS. The Mickey Thompson ain't much better. They did work better than a stock iron 4 bbl setup, but that's about it(actually, I bet a spacer/750 double pumper, and a little port work on the iron manifold would even work better). Sorry buddy, if I didn't care, I wouldn't have said anything.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  15. Roothawg

Roothawg

I really like the fact that you guys are matching up like cars and e/t's. Makes it way more appealing to the fans.

16. I totally agree. The racing should be much like the old Gas Classes with similar ET cars going heads up & the loud pedal down all the way to the finish line. Who ever gets caught "sand bagging" should have to race a faster car on the next pass for a little "humble pie"!

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

It's pretty cool that this race is as much about putting on a great show for the spectators as it as about the actual competition.
    Just about everyone I have talked to is doing some pretty major prep work of one type or another to get their cars ready for the Meltdown,myself included.

Also,I know those crossrams are a turd performance wise Ric,but they look so damn cool....and with 10psi blasted through it with a pair of Paxton blowers,I think it might be able to realize some previously untapped potential....but that's for one of the other cars,not the grocery getter. :D

Scott

18. 123 go

19. powrshftr

powrshftr

That is really weird.....I never typed that bit about the march Meet.....I have no idea how it got into my post.
    My iPhone must be haunted.

Scott

After re-reading,I see what it did now...it was half your post and half mine.

20. Ya I got my mag wires twisted around on that one. That's what happens when your on the HAMB, and watching practical jokers at the same time.

21. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think my goal for next year is to make it out to ya'lls race. No way I can get there this year....but maybe with a little luck and if my kid would quit changing his major in college.....

22. powrshftr

powrshftr

It would be awesome to see the Fly out there yanking the wheels. :)

Scott

23. Good Luck.... Been there Done that

24. Saxxon

Saxxon

Does this give me any bragging rights ??

This has had me vibrating like a school kid on a snow day for months ...

I've been handing these out all over the great white north.
    Thanks to the MDA and Judd's Custom Photos for finding my little farm truck worthy of recognition

[​IMG]

25. Very cool Dave!

26. Yep, very cool seeing Dave's farm truck made the card.

27. powrshftr

powrshftr

That's cool as hell Davey!

28. 62Furious

62Furious

Now that is cool, you have bragging rights !!!

29. warrant

warrant
    from Canada

One upmanship time... Dave, autograph my card.

30. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

How do I get some of those cards? I could hand them out when I go to dragway 42 and norwalk, or any other nostalgia drag shows I go to