Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. dblgun

dblgun

Pretty and nasty my favorite combination;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

Quain ..... THE PERFECT paint design and color, it's Awesome!

Well done.

3. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Quain that paint is outstanding, I better step it up man that is beautiful.

I have a question for you guys, How close can I set the stud girdle to the rocker arms. I bought some finned valve covers with the crested top and the ends hit the girdle. I have thick gaskets and spacers but when I raise the valve cover the flange hits the start up fuel lines.
    Wondering how close can I set the girdle to the rocker arm.

thanks

DSC_0531.jpg

DSC_0624.jpg

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

You can always use B&B Valve Cover Spacers: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/stf-63900/overview/

5. Saxxon

Saxxon

Shave the corners off of the stud girdles. Doesn't take much...never had a problem

I had to do that to get my valve covers to clear between the rockers and the blower manifold

6. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

I have a pair of B&B spacers, they won't work for this set up. The valve cover flange has to stay below the outside fuel lines. I need to lower the stud girdle or remove the warm-up fuel system....I'd like to keep it on the car even though I'm not running nitro. Just wondering how close can I drop the girdle.
    thanks

7. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

I thought about rounding the corners off, I'll probably need to machine them a little as well. The girdle Has about 3/8" clearance on the rockers right now. I think I'll need to take from both to fit them on.

8. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

3/8" is a ton of room. You can get pretty close as long as they don't touch anywhere as you turn the engine over. I would leave maybe .040"-.050" from the closest point to be safe.

9. "Blue Lace & White Lightning" or "The White Widow"

10. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Sounds good, I'll set them to .050 and round the corners as well.

thank you

11. I love it Quain! Kinda kinda like"real men aint afraid to wear pink"... bad ass hotrods aint afeard to wear lace....says I....

12. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Panel and Lace....A +++

13. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Quain the panal paint job looks awesome, can't wait to see it in july. Bill

14. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Nice paint job Quain. Boy if Johnny gets beat now, at least he'll have a flower car for his funeral.

15. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

Dont think i have ever worn pink but i had a 55 pan that was a weird Salmon color... i caught so much shit about my Pink Pan!:mad:[​IMG]

16. powrshftr

powrshftr

Uncledirty,did you build that Ol Pan with a jockey shift?I see a reflection of something in the oil bag....pink or not,that is one fucking sweet Ol scoot!:D

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Man at first I thought you were jokin but i guess not.
    Been wondering where you were at........I kinda like that lace...old school at her finest. Where are the flowers tho.........
    I have to agree with you on this deal Quain, it is out of the 60s...rite on
    If I say anything negitive, Id get hate mail, death threats, terrorist visiting at nite and even possibly a bann on this here site.........sooooo it looks good.
    Still puttin you away at the meltdown tho.......................Rotten

18. Danny G

Danny G

Is the Ansen scattersheild permissible to run at the Meltdown?I have never had a problem being turned down but they are out of date and its been in the stude a long time and I hate to change now

19. It is fine, Make sure it is not the only thing between you and the flywheel though. If your really going to abuse it, it should be updated. Take it easy and no problem. I run one in my Fiat.

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I was wondering about some of the tech stuff like seat belts I have been running factory belts with no cage I have some 3 inch race belts that are out of date but probably better than my old factory belts.

21. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

When I first put it together it had the mouse trap hand clutch, but later switched it to a hand jammer, with foot clutch.

22. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Danny G....some guys made a dog house out of plate to cover the ansen scatter shield...one of my 55's actually had one in it, 4-5 inches wide a hoop over the scatter shield...again your legs your feet, definitely stronger than stock, if it was me, I might add something on the drivers side just in case.....a little work is always better than an issue and you could then keep the cool scatter shield in place just food for thought.

23. Yep, dad use to make shrouds out of chromoly plate that went around stock bell housings. He blew up a Scheifer clutch in his 55, just cruising down the road about 2500rpm or so. The shrapnel when through the bell housing, glanced off the chromoly plate, hit the ground, came back up, hit the floor where it meets the trans tunnel on the left side, and banged it into his foot, which got bruised pretty good, sawed the left header in half, hit the steering column locking up the steering, and took out the brake master cylinder (we call em single jars of death). He was able to stop the car with the emergency brake. He always told me, "Ric, that was only 2500 rpm or so, imagine what would have happened with the engine @ full song". He was always sure that had he not had that moly shroud, he would have for sure lost some part of his right foot/leg, or even worse.

24. Saxxon

Saxxon

Here's the latest project... It's a 49 Pontiac torpedo back. We'll be trying to get it ready for the Meltdown ... The plans are to have a triple inline Supercharged 16 cylinder Merlin set back 10% on about 90% nitro.

We figure the stock 3 speed should hold up. We'll be swapping the rear for a Dodge 3 ton with 2 speed split. We'll run the stock steels, likely with dual slicks ... sort of like Art Arfons. Front end is a straight axle from a Sellick rough terrain fork lift.

Any suggestions on paint... I'm thinking Executioner lace...

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      301.1 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      276.8 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      336.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  25. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Saxxon.. I kinda like the white patina myself.

26. looks like you need to "torpedo it back" outa that glacier on your front porch!

27. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I think you're going to need a Meltdown of your own up there just to get started .

28. altered59lark

altered59lark
    from cincinnati

Does anyone know the suicide king owner? It would be cool to do a match race with these two. If anything it would be a cool photo of mine and the suicide car at the line. Two straight axle studebakers with chevys. Would this interest anyone?

Attached Files:

29. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

HECK YES...people would love it.....these are the kinds of match races people want to see.....Big John...can you help to find out if Suicide King is coming....?

30. Koop, since this is a quarter mile race, is it ok, or required, or prefer not, or don't care about a window net on cars with full cages.