Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Saxxon

Saxxon

I too would have liked to have sat down and swapped some stories and a few brews with both of you guys but we were all focused on our own gremlins and simply ran out of time. I really appreciated what little time we did spend. Being greeted like a long lost friend on Thursday was really awesome. Especially when it's Trish...

Isn't it amazing how hard we all work to run well at an event that doesn't focus on winning or losing ?? Pretty sure I saw the midnight oil being burned in the Rotten camp swapping a transmission in an AWB Mopar. I thought we had a starter issue and swapped it out Friday night. Still didn't work. Sat am we found the cable from the charging post to the battery had come loose and we simply had a dead battery. Turned out we swapped out a good starter for a pooched starter... 10 minutes to swap it back and the scout was good to go. Still trying to figure out why it's not running very low 10's.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  2. Saxxon

Saxxon

So... North vs. South shootout - Media - I got nothing at the moment.

I saw a great video with captions and music on Facebook...looked great... but I have nothing. Well that's not entirely true, a friend of mine has about 6 videos of the shootout that I want to post to Facebook and YouTube but they are ultra HQ and take 40 minutes to load... but I have nothing else.

If you still want a compilation of some kind please send me the stuff [email protected]

30dodgeboy likes this.
  3. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

4. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Yes, the tires spun but didn't offer much of a smoke show :( we did move out of the groove and all was well.....until I bogged the motors on Sunday. I'm going to make a gear change (4:11 to a 3:50-3:89) to spin them better and hope for improved results :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. powrshftr

powrshftr

Marc:
    I thought I had let my OCD drag me through watching every video of the event that was on YouTube but I must have let that one slip through the cracks!
    Thank you so much!!!
    If I tightened up my 60' time with a little better launch I'm sure I could have te Ol Girl into the upper 12's without much,if any,work to the car or motor....although,I was thinking of an intake/gear/cam swap for next year....

Anyhow,thanks so much for giving me a heads up on the video.....I think he better come back with a blower next year.He's gonna need it.:D

Scott

6. powrshftr

powrshftr

Rocky:
    It was great meeting you,and thanks so much for putting me in the car for some pictures.I thought my Dad's head was gonna explode from all the cool stuff that happened that weekend!
    Which leads me to thanking everyone present at the Meltdown who made it the best weekend my Dad has ever had....MDA crew,track staff,Ron,Isky,Bones,Jim from Texas,Jim from Michigan,Gary,Rocky,Ric,Marc,Jason,Solomon,Donovan,Quain,Dylan,Mr Cromer,John from "the D",Galaxie guy who's name escapes me right now (we never did get to run,but you were a super cool guy,and next year we'll get down!),the guys from Toronto,Davey from the Peg,Gary the carb doctor,Rex and his Son (Adam I believe?),and every other person who showed my Dad kindness and hospitality.I can't thank you all enough!
    If I have forgotten anybody,please forgive me,as I'm still overloaded with adrenaline every time I talk about it!

Ps:AJ,you went above and beyond the call of duty getting my busted heap back to the pits out of a MAJOR high traffic area near the Isky motor home,at the busiest time of te day,while you were swamped with 99 other tasks....Thank you SO much!You guys were all great to us,but I think that was a truly amazing feat....Plus,you let my Dad drive your truck..(!)
    (personally,I wouldn't let the crazy bastard ride a tricycle....Have you SEEN the shit he does...?)

Ironically,I even have to thank Moonrocket for

30dodgeboy and loudbang like this.
  7. powrshftr

powrshftr

Calling me out and presenting the opportunity of a lifetime.
    Making that run against him was pretty sweet.....If anybody on here knows him,please tell him thanks.It made my Dad's day to watch that pass and see how decisive the outcome was:)

Scott

8. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Got back late Wednesday and just had time to catch my breath and reflect on what was one of the most awesome weekends of my life.
    From the moment I arrived at the gate on set up day on Thursday until the last car had gone down the track late Sunday afternoon the Meltdown guys treated me like a celebrity.
    Words can't really describe how I was treated, you guys are the best.
    The Meltdown Drags was the best drag race I've ever had the pleasure of attending, nothing else even comes close.
    The trophy that you presented me with has pride of place next to my computer, I only have to look at it to remind me what a great weekend it was and Koop, I'll never forget the passenger ride in your '55, thanks for the great memory.
    Meeting legends like Isky, Bones & Gene Cromer is the stuff some guys can only dream of but I was lucky enough to spend some time talking with all of them.
    To all you guys that towed out from California you all deserve medals, it was great meeting you all.
    To everyone who made it happen ........thankyou thankyou thankyou.
    See ya all again one day, I'll definitely be back.
    Ray

loudbang likes this.
  9. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We plan on being there Enloe.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    enloe likes this.
  10. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ray you mean you didn't know that you are a celebrity??? HAHAHA

11. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Yes, you definitely do! Mine will be a 2 seater so if you're interested I would be happy to play taxi to your son/you to the staging lanes.

enloe likes this.
  12. Saxxon

Saxxon

It was a blast to meet you. You turned up everywhere !!! Even ended up in a MDA shirt and part of that last few hours of the event when the MDA get to have some fun.

It was a big effort to attend, hope you do so again in the future. You are always welcome in the Canadian pits.

Cheers

13. flattandscruggs1

flattandscruggs1
    from alabama

that dragnasty corvette that had the picture taken was worked on by voodoo randy schmitt of streator illinois he is actually a member of the voodoo kings.

Allen flattandscruggs1

14. Loved that Dragnasty 'vette, man that thing was lookin' mean!

15. simon g-s

simon g-s

Ray, hope you took plenty of pics to share !

16. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any recommendations for a motel.

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

Comfort Inn in Rockford was fantastic:)

Scott

18. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks.

19. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

What a fantastic time!

Attached Files:

30dodgeboy likes this.
  20. cs39ford

cs39ford

Great show This track always has great meets Late 60s gas coupe sedan nats Early 60s the flag starts and 4 at a time racing all the big names! Drove my 56 gasser up and had a great time Hats off to everbody that had a part in the meltdowns

21. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I hit you up..check yo box playa.

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am impressed at the quality of the cars posted. Real deal, nostalgia cars.....not 40 Willys Pro mods with wings. Hats off fellas.

23. powrshftr

powrshftr

So what's this stuff I saw on Facebook about not holding a 2015 event due to all the whiners at the 2014 event...?

Gimme a list of names and I will have this shit sorted out for you in under an hour Paul!:D

Maybe have Kip pound on their door and ask: " IS THERE A FUCKING PROBLEM HERE....?!?!?"

Guy looks like he could crush a human skull with his bare hands...That oughtta shut em up!:D

Don't let assholes discourage you guys!!!

Scott

beebee78, 30dodgeboy and II FUNNY like this.
  24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What in the hell could anybody have to whine about?
    This show it top notch hands down.

25. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

First diminishing species..then the ozone layer depleting...increased natural disasters...now the crumbling of the Meltdown Drags. Run for the hills people the end is near!!!!

26. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I think it will be fine. When you work your ass off and put your heart and soul into something ANY criticism cuts like a knife. You Meltdown guys take a step back..breath of fresh air (cold beer) and you'll be good.

Toymaker, plumbid and Bad Banana like this.
  27. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Some one run the clip from "Animal House" when Bluto gives his speech to the guys.

redlineracer42 likes this.
  28. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Heres something different from the Meltdown, Quain in AJ's front engine dragster.
    What next? Southeast Slingshots???;)
    SDC12718 (912 x 684).jpg SDC12720 (912 x 684).jpg

29. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Great meeting you guys too, you have a couple of awesome rides.
    The Meltdown guys went above and beyond to make me feel welcome.
    I'll definitely be back, I remember someone mentioning needing a driver for a 3rd Canadian car..;)
    Managed to get a pic (not great quality) of you pulling the front wheels up.
    SDC12696 (912 x 684).jpg

Simon,
    Took a few hundred photos, will have them at the Hot Rod Drags in September.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  30. Excuse me for saying this but what does Fartbook have to do with the Hamb or this event.

I loved everything about it,the North & South guys have nothing to be ashamed of and although I wasn't there it appears to be a stellar event!

I was amused by the announcer that said Gene Cromer was from North Carolina,but we all now that was a slight logistics error. icon_lol.gif HRP