Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. its all your fault you mda guys. here i am a nitro junkie that has been clean for a few years. the helmet was safely put away. i thought i was cured. after attending the meltdown friday the conversation on the way home was all about bringing the 65 blown nitro awb car back out. the nitro thing has always been a slippery slope for me. the melt down just gave me a shove. thanks guys. so much for rehab. if you see me in a gutter somewhere strung out on nitro fumes begging for a few bucks to go race you know the story. its a addiction like no other.

funk 49 and OldColt like this.
  2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

My dad and I stopped into Ruby Tuesdays Saturday night for dinner and saw Bones and Isky eating with a group of guys. Both are class act guys when I found where they were at I went back to get my phone to take a picture when I got back one of the guys in line said the line was closed but both of them autographed a poster for me anyway even as Mr. C's crew was about to fire up his dragster. Isky just plugged his ears. Bones wanted to head for the trailer but he signed it anyway. Then later that afternoon 93 year old Ed Iskenderian climbed the stairs up to the track tower for an interview. I don't know if Bones ever did as I left as Isky was finishing his interview.

Attached Files:

OldColt likes this.
  3. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

What a great time, thank you for your efforts to the entire Meltdown crew! Rocky ......Thank you Kyle Milefchick for the photo.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

30dodgeboy and rawcjw19 like this.
  4. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Brian, did you ever run the coupe?

5. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

a great show put on by a bunch of dedicated people! thank you very much, and I cant wait until next year. I will have the slingshot ready to go'

6. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I seen you run that 65 awb coronet at George ray's wildcat dragstrip many years ago and it was so badass I would love to see it again I say pour on the nitro maybe even a fire burnout that my good man was unbelievable if you pulled that off at the meltdown there would be no better place on earth

7. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I'd set my beer down to see that. Do that next year please and thank you.

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

You're gonna be too busy trying to keep that Crazy ass Chevy between the guardrails to see much of anything Brother!
    Get that car out here next year!!!!:D

Scott

Bean Dip likes this.
  9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hey for any of you guys that seen my car I have been looking for some direction with this turd besides the dumpster.
    I had thought NSS but not sure on that and lately I have been thinking AWB car.
    I have faster cars but this one has been like going back to school trying things that make it faster for no money.
    So I am open for any suggestions.

Thanks James.

10. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

AWB...hands down. Think "Tickle Me Pink" "Stardust" "limelight" etc.
    Back in the day the AWB cars were the fan favorites...faster than most gassers in the 65-67 era and more like the car the fans drove to the races compared to dragster. Besides the Meltdown Drags can always use another FX car.

Meltdown Drags July 18-20 2014

Attached Files:

30dodgeboy likes this.
  11. powrshftr

powrshftr

HELL YES....!!!!!

What Kip said!!!!!

:D

Scott

30dodgeboy likes this.
  12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sweet now that would be something to pull off in less than 365 days.

13. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I'm not going to lie...it is a ton of work, but the payoff is you have a car that isn't like everyone else's.

beebee78 and 30dodgeboy like this.
  14. Just read this whole damn thread (took me a bunch of nights). Ric,thanks for the entertainment, pwrshifter, you're a a little bit of a sandbagger! You played all joe novice until the car started going together. Good job.
    Going to get there next year, like the smell of racing fuel and my eardrums itching.

15. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Pretty funny only 2 days after the meltdowns. My wife has been looking, I've been looking and my dad for something to build for a gasser. My poor old model a highboy may get put on the back burner before it's even finished. Sure would have been nice to win the dragster :) On a different note back in the day ( i'm only 40) did anyone race model a sedan high boys? I would think it would be a slow altered?

16. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

That's a cool Pic Rocky. My boy sure liked the Evil Twin, Wish I would have had more time to BS with you. Hopefully next yr.

17. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Yeah, it would have been an altered back in the day...you could run either altered or hot rod at the Meltdown Drags though.
    Here are a few fenderless drag sedans for inspiration...

Attached Files:

18. 62Furious

62Furious

Due to family my weekend at the meltdown was cut short. saltflats it was a pleasure meeting you. Next year we will line up. and thank to Saxxon and crew for the use of there jack and wrench to change wheels. I have been to 4 Meltdown and it is the people that make this a great event. I will see you all next year, stay safe.

19. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Great, Looks like all I have to do is raise the front and put a roll cage in it. Or go slower than 11 seconds?

20. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

There was a fenderless coupe in the 11's and he ran in the hot rod class.

21. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

That's the plan pal. Top of my to do list. On it like an octopus playing the drums.

22. powrshftr

powrshftr

We're not gonna have the Model A ready for next year,but I have got a few "Super Tune" ideas for the Shaker...Still gonna be a lil Ol 289,but we might throw a wee bit more cam in there and turn the wick up juuuuust a bit...;)

Scott

23. powrshftr

powrshftr

And Bean,
    Myself and many,many others on here are going apeshit waiting to see that car of yours come out and terrorize the track!

Scott

beebee78 likes this.
  24. powrshftr

powrshftr

Also,
    I spoke to Merek Chertkow earlier today about his upcoming build thread on the dragster chassis that he won at the Meltdown.

You guys will wan to keep an eye out for this one!!!!!

Apparently he drove a Scotty Fenn car before the "Isky Dragon" or the Ramchargers car,so he is really excited about building this car....I don't wanna spill too many details and steal his thunder,but I will say,it's gonna be fantastic!

Scott

II FUNNY likes this.
  25. powrshftr

powrshftr

Hahaaa!
    Radford,I am the DEFINITION of Joe Novice,Brother!:)

The car made its first pass ever 2 weeks ago,and ran a not impressive [email protected] a really bad bog and a lazy top end pull.

Once I got to the track at Byron Rex and his Son recommended Gary the carb guy,and with his ninja tuning savvy,a slight timing tweak,and a recommendation to up my launch rpm a bit he had me running over a full second quicker in no time!
    Thanks Gary!!!!!!

And that race on Saturday night was fueled by pure festering hatred....lol!Best pass of the weekend,against our old 'pal' Moonrocket was a [email protected] hey,I was just sitting there minding my own business...He called me out,what was I supposed to do,right...?;)
    It's all good now though...he followed me back to the pits and when he came over I just shook his hand an let all of the stupidity from the past go.And besides,I beat him by 6 tenths,there was nothing in the world that could take the smile off my face at that point!:)

The little car made a pretty fair account of itself for a street car with a throwaway short block and used heads I'd say:)

Can't wait for next year!:)

Scott

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  26. Zettle no the coupe was not there. The week before i had it on the chassis dyno and once we got a handle on the tune it drove through the clutch. It was a mcloud twin disc good for a thousand hp. It had alot of runs on it and was tired. I still thought it was ok. If i get the dodge out we need to make a pass together. Both of the cars would look good on the line. I used to match race the zombie gto often. Always had fun.

27. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Thanks it was doing ok, but fuel starved. Running a best 12.38 on a fuel starved engine, pretty much running a 2bbl. All the back cylinders were running way lean. I have a better fuel pump on the way. Also I didn't realize my posi was worn out, worked fine in my gravel driveway lol. I have an extra set of clutches i'm going to put in.

Is pre registration open yet for 2015 yet?

28. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

This was our first trip to Meltdown and Man was it a Blast ,Met a Ton of people and saw some Crazy azz Racing!! Paul ,You and your Crew do and awesome job and make folks feel right at home !! We even got to take one of these Non-Conformist awards home with us for The Ohio Outlaw AA/Gasser's , It now stands proudly on the Beer Fridge.

Attached Files:

II FUNNY likes this.
  29. Isky was on a golf cart heading into the swap meet/car show area ,when he spotted our 65 chevy truck with the 265 chevy potvin set up,in the back.he pulled the golf cart over and proceeded to check this thing out from top to bottom..Would have been a "magic moment" if I had been there instead, we were in the stand watching the races.My buddy who was parked beside me offer to run up & get me,but Isky said it wasn't necessary to chase me down..Would have been a GREAT photo op.
    Rick

30dodgeboy likes this.
  30. cs39ford

cs39ford