Register now to get rid of these ads!

The oddest car body, engine combination you've ever done,seen,been in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rixrex, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. you guys have me beat hands down, just adding a short list
    51 Olds, 56 374 Packard powered
    56 Ford, 64 327 Corvette
    48 plymouth, 55 331 Cadillac
    914 Porsche, 71 500 Cadillac
    48 Ford, 56 354 Chrysler
    54 Gmc, 55 331 Cadillac

but have seen
    55 Chev, 47 Cadillac Flathead that kicked ass on the 265 and 283's at the time

2. GTS225

GTS225

This one showed up at the Flying Eyeball Reunion in Davenport Ia this year. The flattie is a dummy rubber block, and the motivitation is from a Briggs one-lunger under the rear, belt driving the diff.

[​IMG]

Roger

3. Lippyp

Lippyp

Thers a Mercedes 190 on lifted Toyota landcruiser running gear near me and I know a guy that has a Skoda Estelle with a RX7 rotary in the back.

Heres the Skoda

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rather obvious nasty exhaust has been replaced with a more subtle bike can since although it gets so hot it melted the first carbon fibre one he fitted. This thing is stupidly quick.

4. hayduke

hayduke

Oddest thing I've seen recently is a v8-60 powered old-school Harley looking bike, wish I'da had my camera.

V8 in a Corvair is always neat, and the VW Bug on a Jeep chassis was seen around here years ago...and I remember a '57 Chevy 4-door shortened about 3 feet, done up gasser style...that was probably 30 years ago when I last saw it...damn cool.

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

6. Frank

Frank

Saw a mangled up BMW Isetta in a wrecking yard where someone installed a VW engine and transaxle into the rear end. Of course the engine and trans were in full view. It painted brown and literally looked like a turd.

7. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

i havent seen it myself but from what one of my former college professors described,a chevette with a hemi seems like the oddest to me..he said it had cherry bombs under it and the rear had to be narrower because of the pipes clearing the rear axle so he put arm rests in and he'd provoke a lot of races with that thing..
    creepy

8. tomslik

tomslik

Funk conversions.
    they ALSO had flathead six's in 'em
    been thinking about a 4.3 chevy in my 9n but after this friggin snow, a bigger tractor is in order...

9. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

It may not be the oldest, But it is cool. It a 1963 Ford rancho with the front sheet metal from a 1964 Comet running a 85 hp. ford flat head motor. The guy did a real great job on it.

10. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

A friend has a 1965 Ford pickup with a Mercedes 190D motor, trans, gauges, and front seats. That thing is so slow it can't get out of its own way.

11. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Flathead in an MGA, This one was in a local salvage when I was in HS.

Mazda rotary in the front of an Austin Healy Midget, during my solo II SCCA era. I believe the car was from Tulsa. Ran a lot of events over there in the 80's. Yes it would RUN, had a bit of trouble with traction though.

Same salvage thet the MGA was in had a 1.5 ton wrecker with an early J2 Olds in it.

Guy in Blackwell OK had a late AH Sprite with a big block chevy and an unnarrowed rear.

And lastly in response to the Ford tractor Funk conversion post. How about a Caddy flattie in an 8N.

12. 392 Hemi with 6 deuces in a Austin Healey...original CT Dragway racer...
    -Dean

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Mazda rotary in the front of an Austin Healy Midget, during my solo II SSCA era. I believe the car was from Tulsa. Ran a lot of events over there in the 80's. Yes it would RUN, had a bit of trouble with traction though.

The d/e modified class guys can get quite creative.

Attached Files:

14. T-Bone

T-Bone

Whats the story behind this one? Wow!

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Basically, Bville classes it's cars in 2 ways -bodies and engines. Certain body classes allow certain engines. x and v class engines denote vintage engines i.e. flattys,jimmys and the like. So you drop your vintage engine in a swoopy body that will cut the air.

Like I said: The Mecca for oddball engine/body combos.

Attached Files:

16. A couple of the local hillbilly engineers here have put together the following combinations over the years.

1) 70's Capri with a 440
    2) TR-7 w/327
    3) TR-3 with a Grand National v-6 (owner/builder died after a 6 year coma smacking a guard rail at 120 mph - don't try this at home)
    4) 67 Caprice with a 2.8 out of a s-10. Fat Hack would be proud.
    5) The psychotic Greek from Moose Jaw Sask who put a 3208 Cat diesel in his 59 Olds four door hardtop.

17. SEWERAT

SEWERAT

When I was still a mechanic for a living I had a mid 70’s Firebird come in to one of the Amoco’s I ran. It was silver and in ok condition but it had a very weird burlap Egyptian looking interior, it was dropped off for something simple as I recall. But as I began looking at the door jamb I noticed that all the writing was in Arabic, the VIN tag, body tag, seat belt instruction stickers, everything, Dash had no MPH only KL. The owner came in hours later (car still in my bay) I asked him about it. It was his uncles originally; His story went that the General made a few hundred of the cars as a special order to be drop-shipped to some foreign Arab country to be given to very rich Arab tycoons to bring to Germany and drive on the Autobahn. But the country has US sanctions and the cars had to be sent to another Arab country that required all the documentation on the vehicle be written in Arabic, So GM re-stamped ,VIN’d and shipped them off to be driven in Germany by Billionaire Arabs. Somehow this one made it back..

18. CRUE CAB

CRUE CAB
    from Florida

A buddy of mine owns a rod shop and just picked up a Grand National. Turbo V6 and all.
    Its going in a 70 Javalin.

19. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

That T-bucket looks fun.

20. Hey Rixrex, the guy that that the BBF powered XK-120 named Mark... his last name wouldn't by any chance be Steitel (or something close to that), would it? If so, I ended up with that Jag when he moved to SoCal and brought it with him from TX in the early 1970's...it was white, had a T-10, solid wheels (Mark said the wires would spin the center right out when he nailed the throttle, so he switched to solids)
    Kinda like a poor man's Cobra. English aluminum 2 seater roadster body, and a Big Block Ford....yeah that thing hauled ASS and cornered pretty good, too...

Here's an odd one I saw last year at the Grant's pass, OR car show...

Attached Files:

21. rainh8r

rainh8r

Late 60's Lincoln Continental with a 300 Ford 6. Definately built by a farmer when the 460 gave up. Crosley wagon with a 20R Toyota engine, V-8 60 in a T stock looking T coupe, 27 roadster with a Chev 292-6 and no radiator, a straight 8 Buick in a T touring (pretty cool piece, actually), a turbine-powered 32 highboy (the sound is unbelievable!) and a Subaru 4 in a Moto Guzzi.

22. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

it would have to be the one i drive now, Untitled-44.jpg

Untitled-104.jpg

23. guy in vancouver wa. has a 69' chevelle with a 392 hemi in it. saw pic's from kallispell montana. with 70' nova with 392 hemi in it. ???

24. noboD

noboD

A guy I graduated from HS with built a '66? Mercedes sedan{ the one that looks like a Rambler} with a Datsun 4 cylinder for his wife to drive as an everyday car. Also I saw a restored '36-37 Packard with a blown 454 in it, even had the supercharged emblems on the hood. One geezer was telling another geezer that they really had superchargers back then. They were looking at the engine at the time, neither knew what they were looking at.

25. Thanks for the PM, Rixrex... Thats totally amazing, that you knew Mark in TX back in the late 60's, when he built that car, and I knew him in the early 70's, when he moved to SoCal with the car, and how I ended up with that Jag... small world, via (and viva !!) la HAMB!!!

26. 40Vert

40Vert

A fully restored 58 Corvetter with...a Ford Cobra Jet motor! I thought it was pretty cool, it seems the owner won the motor and needed a motor for the Vette, so taking a cue from Ed Roth's 55, he said what the heck.

27. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

my 1947 Seagrave fire truck is getting a 1790 cubic inch V-12 out of a Patton tank. Is that strange enough for you.

[​IMG]

28. ponchoman

ponchoman

When was that Coke truck around here T? I have a vague recollection of something weird like that around town in the 70's.

29. shagg'n

shagg'n

We had a guy around here who stuffed a 455 olds/tornado transaxle into back seat of mid 80's Honda Prelude.The chassis/suspension/header fab work was amazing-never was able to see it haul though.An old drag racer up her is puyying a flatty with dual carb offy into a 65 Falcon sedan-will be cool when its done!

30. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

Howa bout a 77 ford ltd with 7.3 powerstroke and 5 speed. The guy owned a salvage yard and they claimed he installed it over a weekend. It had the decklid removed with a gooseneck ball mounted in the trunk, I saw this thing all over Missouri pulling a three car trailer loaded every time I saw it. I just can't imagine engineering a clutch pedal and everthing it would take to make a powerstroke run in that car!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.