Register now to get rid of these ads!

The oddest car body, engine combination you've ever done,seen,been in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rixrex, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

I had thought of that because back in the 70's you could buy a complete kit to repower a 911 with a SBC. The Alloy SBC is lighter than a Beemer four banger too!, and i've seen a M3 lookalike which can smoke the latest m5!! what a laugh!

2. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Check my earlier post about the Flattie in the ranchero,Almost a Falcon ute,but that isn't the odd part.The odd part is the T/ram on a flattie! does it work well?

3. r0ckstarr

r0ckstarr
    from Houston

4. phat rat

phat rat

How about a 57 Chev with a late model turbo charged Ford V6?

Early 30's Buick 4 dr widened and put on a Tundra chassis.

Both have the same owner, he's know for his odd combos

5. 6narow

6narow

...currently for sale on E-Bay - item # 300299269706 - <NOBR>ends Mar-19-09 18:00:00 PDT...</NOBR>

1988 Lincoln Town Car Limo on a 1986 Ford F-150 4x frame & Drivetrain
    [​IMG]

...uh, yeah. :D

6narow

6. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

while we are on this subject, does anybody remember a Honda n600,the tiny two cyl one made into a funny car in the 70's? was supposed to be one of those crazy funny cars like the Hemi powered VW bug. I actually found a 70's toy of it with the webber stacks and the dan gourney bubble in the roof, was wondering if anybody remembered it. I do vaguly as a kid.

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Its hard to top that Pacer and after seeing some of the other cars mine is somewhat mundane but here it is.

8. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

all right does anyone remember the hemi bug i talked about a couple of posts ago? I very clearly remember seeing it as a kid. had a hemi in the back seat area with a blower sticking out the roof,drag slicks sticking out eithier side on the back. pure out funny car.

9. fef100

fef100

The factory did that in 68-69, called it the MGC

10. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

This wins a prize of some sort .a Triumph 1800 roadster is fucking ugly on it's own but to reaower one of those horrors with an SBC is verging on the rediculous.

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Maybe 40 years ago, my pal Jim Stovall found himself the possessor of a Fiat 600 sedan and a Porsche Carrera roller-crank race motor. After a few weeks, he had joined the two with the aid of a VW transaxle.

He used it as his daily driver. Tiny car, about the size of a Mini, that ran like a thief. REALLY quick little car! The engine, today, would be worth about $75K.

12. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

allison?

13. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Looks like a gas turbine.

14. canadianzed

canadianzed

Not a rod, not traditional, but nontheless Odd -
    [​IMG]

15. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Now THATS what I'm talking about! That things BAD ASS!! I have a 74 Gremlin with an AMC 360 V8 and my buddy has a 74 Gremlin with a 840 hp 401 AMC V8. the wierd swap I've seen was a 82 GMC truck that had a blown diesel in it and my neighbor owned it and he had a freshly wrecked and fubar'd 77 Caddy with a great running 425 caddy V8. so it went in the GMC and it ran like a raped ape!

16. 6narow

6narow

HotRod60F100,

Did you guys swap the 360 into the Gremelin?
    I think that was actually a factory option around that time.
    "Gremiln X" ?
    Superceded the Hornet-based "S/C 360" as AMC's "Muscle Car", but only survivied a couple of years.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

1934coupe,

Looks like an MG TF (?) with an SBC sporting an Eddy X-1 intake....or do I see 6 Strombergs up there?
    Would be a fast ride, either way.
    How did you fare, racin' it?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

lostforawhile,

I for one, do not remember that Hemi powered bug you asked about.
    Got pics you can post of it?
    I do remember a company out of California, back around '74, that specialized in SBC V8 conversion into Corvairs (company featured in an issue of Hot Rod from that year).
    Your description of the blower in the "back seat" reminded me of that.
    I also remember a guy up my way (PNW) who, back in the late 70's / early 80's, had a Fiat 131 that was powered by a blown BBC.
    People said it would do 10's in the quarter.

Elvis

17. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I forgot the info on the car. Yes it an MG but a TD it had a Hilborn injected small block chevy with a Vitar Hydro. It ran 11:00s at about 126 in the mid 60s. It held track records at local east coast tracks and just hundeths off the national et record in BM/SP. It won at York PA Div. 1 race in 65 and class at Cecil County MD in 64 or 65.

18. 6narow

6narow

:eek: HOLY CRAP! :eek:

Man, were gassers and altered's even running that fast in the mid-60's?

Very cool. You were one heck of a bad-@$$, posting those kinds of times.

Thanks for the info....too bad there's no Youtube footage of it making a couple of runs.
    That'd be way cool to see.

6narow

19. The oddest one I ever saw (didn't take pictures because I don't want to remember it) is at the Noccalula Falls show in Gadsden AL every year. It's a somewhat ragged '70s Vette that got wrecked in the front, guy put the (very rough) front sheet metal off of a '40s vintage Dodge pickup on it. Just plain wierd, even by rat rod standards.

20. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I'm pretty sure that that was the bug used in the original Herbie for the wheel standing street racing bug.I do know that they used a hemi powered bug in that movie for the wheelie scenes.I saw it and the one that split in 2 lenghtwise to go around an obstacle (street cop?) along with the TV Batmobile at a shopping center here when I was a teen.the Herbie one didn't have a blower through the roof I just reread that line.

21. zorch

zorch

Around 1972 in the Glendale, CA area, there was a freelance Harley shop--the guy had scored a stock-looking Fiat Toppolino with a Harley knucklehead engine mounted sideways. He said it'd been built by a Hughes aircraft engineer. I saw pix of the full rig. The engine was in the shop. He said he'd paid a ridiculous cheap price even then, like $300, and immediately made a buncha dough selling the body to a drag racer and kept the engine.

22. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I saw the post asking about this top, this was a manufactured top that I think you could buy through sears.My wifes uncle had a stock jeep that looked exactly like this one and if I remember right he said he got the top from either Sears or Montgomery Wards through their catalog the top came with the doors

23. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Talk about 10lbs of shit in a 5lb. bag! I can't believe they fit all that in that little thing!

24. sonic reducer

sonic reducer

caddy 500 with fwd transaxle into the rear of a 75 beetle

same drivetrain into rear of a yugo, also kept the stock front motor to drive around with. crazy box flares.

subaru station wagon on D44's with a saturn engine (?)

vw bus with a mid mounted sbc on a monte carlo frame or something

50s dodge powerwagon with a cummins 4bt and big military michelin tires, huge PTO winch (COOL)

nissan 720 with a perkins diesel, two granny 4sp trans doubler, on d44s

vw rabbit convertable on a 4x4 chassis

rwd toyota starlet with a rotary turbo motor 30psi running 8.90's

25. caddydave

caddydave

26. 6narow

6narow

Back in the early-mid 70's either Motor Trend or R&T that did an article on the cars used in the original Love Bug movie (so yes, this is a few years after the original movie had been released).
    According to that article, "Herbie", at least the version seen through most of the movie, was a '66 bug with a '64 engine (1200).
    They put it on a dyno and I think the engine peaked out at 14.5 HP.:D (really!)
    No rebuild. Just the famous paint job.
    Could've been the same one you saw at the mall.
    FWIW, a guy down the road from where I grew up had a white beetle painted the same way, Even had the "53" on the hood.
    Pretty cool looking car. He also had a brown '53 Chevy and a yellow Isetta....talk about your eccentrics! ;)

6narow

27. Mac_55

Mac_55

64 elcamino , 440 dodge , lasalle transmision

28. '87 IROC 350 in a '46 Ford... Not really weird, the wierd part is I removed it from a '68 Dodge Dart GT to put it in my Ford.

29. MBog

MBog

2.8 ford V6 in a Datsun 510, Toyota 4 cyl (hemi) in a Triumph spitfire, 430 Buick in a 73 Ford 1/2 ton, 430 Buick again in a 80 chev 1/2 ton, SBC in a mitsubishi Ram pu. Those are the "odd" ones I've done..

30. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

There were a few bugs used to make the original Herbie movie one was the stock bug you are talking about which for lack of a better way to say it was the "Main Character"
    then there was the one that split into right and left halves and drove around something in the road and reconnected on the other side this might have been a traffic cop in the movie and its the "Herbie" I saw at the mall they drove it around the announcer at the show (outside show)
    then there was the bug used for the wheelies in the show which had a hemi in the back seat and slicks it also had weedburner headers that ended under the running boards just ahead of the rear wheels this car was only painted for the show it was not built as a stunt vehicle the owner/driver rented it to them.There might have also been a bug that split just behind the front seat but I can't remember if that was in the original show ar the second.I had a little booklet from the mall show that had all the Herbie cars from the first movie.I think it was Street Rodder also did a piece Hemi bug back when you could see a bug on their front cover along with Vans etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.