Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The No Frame Model A Modified

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rottenleonard, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Rob, The car is even more impressive in person, good to see you and your friend, along with swapping stories. Remember, give me a heads up when you will be racing down this way.

2. Burlens here in the UK are the go to source for everything SU. They make new SUs and do refurbishment. The technical department will advise on non-standard applications.

You are basically playing with a number of variables; needle size, jet height, spring pressure and dashpot oil viscosity. All can be adjusted to get where you need to be. A common problem is that the engine bogs down when you snap to WOT. This is because the piston rises too quickly. Solution can be a stronger spring, thicker dashpot oil or a weight in dashpot - I use an M32 washer in HIF 38 and 44 carbs.

Congratulations on a brilliant and unique build.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Shadow Creek likes this.
  3. That's cool! Your little modified is stellar!

4. a boner

a boner

Cool Roadster.....thinking out of the box is what I'd like to see more of on the H.A.M.B.!

My day dream hot rod would be a Bonneville style highboy, Model A or Deuce roadster, with un-boxed 32 rails. Instead of a transmission crossmember, I'd make a uni-body type combination belly pan, floor, seat riser and transmission mount out of somewhat thick sheetmetal. The belly pan would be at the bottom of the frame rails , or even slightly lower....sit way down in the car, Bonneville style. The transmission/driveshaft tunnel would be inside the cockpit. There would be a roll cage welded to the frame, and mounted inside the body sheetmetal and the sheetmetal panels and doors would mount to/hang on the roll cage.
    Hopefully someone will do this.....Bonneville style hot rods on the street!

brEad and Shadow Creek like this.
  5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

rottenleonard : I am a fabricator: if I have a 'print'(or even a 'drawing'), I can build almost anything, But YOU have the ability to build from a 'concept' that I find AMAZING!! Thank you for opening our eyes to other than "traditional" possibilities for "builds"!!

Stogy, pcbart and a boner like this.
  6. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Always good to hang out with you Marty, you have a way of making a history lesson awful entertaining. You and Jim need to start a new book and get these stories in print.

Stogy and Blown Red Ram like this.
  7. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How did i miss this build? Holy schmoley you are a very clever dude. I just shake my head in disbelief at these wild builds , and they still look traditional.

Stogy likes this.
  8. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Although I'm sure you will, please post any changes &/or updates to the car, especially including how you "fix" any problems you might find!!

Stogy likes this.
  9. a boner

a boner

How about a quick mention on the salt vs your modified? Did you get it back to how it was before the salt attacked it? If you can't tell.....I really like Bonneville, it's so outstanding on so many levels, but the salt all over all those beautiful hot rods makes me CRINGE!

Stogy, brEad and greaser like this.
  10. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

We have a long ways to go, it's merely a driving project at this point. Stay tuned...

Stogy likes this.
  11. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SOOO Many Cool Ideas!...Very Nice!
    Thanks for all the Pictures!!
    Have You Ever Heard (Thought) of a BOX Sir?...(Inside or Out...)

Aloha Tommy

12. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8