Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical the newest project 1958 biscayne more door

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike bourg, Nov 15, 2016.

1. mike bourg

mike bourg

I am trying to figure out what rear end is in this car, the original was replace with one out of a 63 chevy , the car was originally a v 8 car although no idea as to which one, it now has a six with a three speed overdrive transmission, the engine and trans appear to have been rebuilt, everything has been repainted and it is all to clean to have been run very much.
    got it up on jack stands and scrape all the dirty grease and oil off and finally found a tag, blank of course, scrape the casting clean and found the following numbers, on the passenger side A05206 this was stamped in the metal, on the drives side the following were cast into the unit E 228 GM8 then 3725899.
    I think it is a 336, and according to the one book I have on this car with the six od it should be a 411.
    I don`t think the 336 will work to good with the six.
    any help for the experts here would help. I really don't want to have to remove the housing if I don`t have to....
    thanks in advance Mike

2. Pictures are always a plus and @squirrel
    Seems to have this stuff all memorized.

3. squirrel

squirrel

E 22 8 is May 22, 1958 casting date. If you read the numbers right...if the 8 is really a 3, then it would be 1963.

The stamped numbers, we're expecting something like AC 5 22 double check that you read it right? the letter A or B followed by another letter, A through M, then the numbers for the date.

But the sure fire way is to count pinion turns, to get both tires to make one turn each.

4. mike bourg

mike bourg

Ok I went out and did some more cleaning and the E 228 and the GM 8 are good as is the 3725899
    but the other turned out to be AC 526, what info I could dig up listed it as a diff that was used from 57 to 64, but still nothing on the current ratio.
    looks like I will have to pull the unit and find out, the gasket is leaking anyway, A new learning experience for me.
    thanks to all
    Mike