Register now to get rid of these ads!

The "New Truck"-Are we gainin or losin?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mootz, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Mootz

Mootz

Went and picked up the truck last weekend and due to the weather and work, haven't had much time to drive it or work on it. Today we got ambitious and started ripping everything out of the truck we could. There were many suspicious cracks all around the outside of the body so we went treasure hunting to see what was underneath. Wow, the bondo was thick! Pulled off a "chunk" that was at least a quarter inch thick. The good news is there is good metal underneath to work with. I was curious as to why this truck was missing some body lines, well, they had been smoothed over with the bondo! Well anyway, the MII front suspension is gonna have to stay (unless you want to start a "save Mootz truck" donation) but the wheels and tires and going to ebay soon. Here are some pics:
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    Interior:
    [​IMG]
    It begins, YIKES!
    [​IMG]
    Interior now:
    [​IMG]
    As it sits now:
    [​IMG]

Mootz

2. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Sometimes things gotta get worse before they get better... But it looks like a great start, should be a fun project for sure. Keep posting progress pics!

3. Mootz

Mootz

Ya, I figure the truck is gonna be faster after it sheds a few pounds. I'm pretty excited to start changing some things. Don't really understand why they used so much bondo, it's not that bad underneath. Takin the bed off soon to get to the rest of the cab.

Mootz

4. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Wow, did they miss at locating the fron end. That front axle center line goes under the grille shell- looks like its back about 6-inches. Any way you can move it all forward? Is it even on a '32 frame? Interested in how you will fix it- I think a lot of people run into this problem and wonder if it's easier to scrap it or correct what's there. The van interior was cool too.

5. tred

tred

do i see some angel hair headliner in this truck's future?...

6. Mootz

Mootz

I agree but I don't have the money right now to put a straight axle under it. It is my understanding that it is all 32 frame from behind the cab forward and appears to be correct. The MII deal kinda sucks but it can be changed in the future. The van interior was very cool and had intentions to keep it but it was old and rotten so it had to go. White fur is a thought, Wal-Mart now sells a pleated white fur that's pretty cool. We'll see.

Mootz

7. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

cool stuff my car is covered in bondo but the metal is good, can't wait to see what you do with this truck.

8. southsider

southsider
    from Pella, IA

From the looks of some of the cracks, I am suprised it was only a 1/4". Hope all goes well for you. Can't wait to see it back on the road next summer.

9. Looks like a rough start but a good one. Have fun.