Register now to get rid of these ads!

The New Travel Trailers for 1937!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The New Travel Trailers for 1937!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

dana barlow and HEMI32 like this.
  2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

A lot of pre-war trailers (including the first Airstreams) were actually Masonite, not metal. Instead of going to scrap during the war, a lot of them simply rotted away afterward. Many were used as stationary housing for war workers--paving the way for postwar mobile-home communities. "Trailer park" meant something very different in the '40s than it does today.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A bit newer than that because it is a 65 but this one showed up on the local FB marketplace this morning. The Vintiques NW Nationals in Yakima kicks off today and you see a lot of older car related stuff start showing up
    65 Go-Lite 14 foot.
    I've got to agree with Bigcheeze 327 a lot of those pre war trailers got planted in one spot 14 ft go-lite.jpg Go-lite inside.jpg somewhere as low buck housing for workers During WWII.

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  4. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Great info that I did not know-- Thanks!

Bigcheese327 likes this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

War makes progress. I restored this '48 Spartan Manor and it's a good sample of war changing an industry and housing/recreation needs. Spartan was a J. Paul Getty high end aircraft company before the war and was looking to get in on the housing boom before wars end and use up surplus materials. They produced several protoypes and gave away one for a low dollar housing alternative but changed product and marketing direction... "True to there intent Spartan spared no expense on these trailers. Manufactured to the highest quality and sleekest design employing the monocoque building technique used in airplane manufacturing, they were truly the "Cadillac" of trailers." It's a unique build, a retired factory employee told me he believed the ribs of the trailer were tapered because they modified a aircraft stamping form, the sides do have an airfoil shape. The fronts are aircraft lexan - a first to offer the large view even calling that part of the trailer "The Observation Lounge". Rear quarter windows use automotive cranks and '40 sedan window track. Custom Birch interior and oh yea.. like 3,000 bucked rivets.

IMG_8740 3.jpg

Attached Files:

40two, i.rant, williebill and 3 others like this.
  6. I sure dig the lines on that Federal "Deluxe" Model

7. IMG_1643.JPG I don't know if this is the right place to post this but We went camping in a 50's set up last week. IMG_1642.JPG IMG_1642.JPG

williebill likes this.