Register now to get rid of these ads!

The new project 1952 Ford Pickem up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1bdsinner, Sep 11, 2008.

1. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Well I picked up a new project that has come together pretty well so far. I have been looking for this body style but they were either they rust turds or the frames were off chevy's.
    Surf'n the C list I came across the 302 and jumped on it only paying 700 bucks for rebuilt 302 w/c4 transmission.
    Tomarrow I order the wiring kit and start tearing it down. Gonna take all day to clean out the cab,bed etc.. No black widows!

No big future plans made yet besides taking my time to get the eng,trans and wire it then I will think of what direction I want to go. It has a 3 piece wrap around bumper that mounts to side of the rear fender. i thought it was cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I will post more tomarrow..

2. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Wow so many different ideas for lowering these things on the hamb..from merc marquis front clips to Chevy clips.. I would do lowered beam but you just dont get it in the weeds... Looks like I will have to change the oil pan for rear sump and get ready to graph in a front end to slam the dog piss out of it..

3. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Well since noone is interested in it. Note to self... Parted out the 73 nova and will start the surgery in next two weeks to slam it. Still debating on the 302/c4 or just throw in a chevy since it's got fenders and hood..Hmmm. Oh well find out when I get there I guess.

4. David Chandler

David Chandler

Either the Ford or Chevy engine would wake it up. As for slamming it, that's out of my league. I can't speculate if the 73 Nova's subframe and suspension would line up anywhere near where it needs to be. I had one of these back in the 70's, and enough spare parts to make another one. I like the looks of them by they can be rust catchers on wheels, especially up front.
    Good luck!

5. Thats sweet! Welcome to the family. I am in the same boat as you 1bd sinner. I don't know how to get the front in the dirt. I've got a volare front clip sitting next to the 51 but I have been doing some searching and it's not looking good. Keep posting, I want to see some progress.

6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reminds me of the '52 I re-did in 1966, replaced the tired old 6 cyl. with a 352 Ford V8, kept the 3 spd. box, & 411 rear end intact, of course the 411's were designed to give the old 6 motor all the help it could, so adding all that more power with the V8 really made it a screamer coming up the ramps on freeways going to work each day!!!
    At 80 mph, it was all over tho', but it was one hellofa fun ride each day!!!------Don

7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I saw that on the clist Congrats! good find.Now you can do like a me go to Pik-A Part on Broadway on Tues or Thurs(50% off day) with a tape measure and go for it,you might look at a 89-92 Tbird,Cougar or Lincoln MK clip then you can bolt in the 302 no sweat and have rack&pinion and disc brakes.Good Luck!

8. Don't let your helper overtighten that timing cover. They're aluminum...

9. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

With Posies springs , wheels and tires Im down 7-9 inches over stock depending on which publication the stock bumper height is from. Please dont subframe it!!!! Buyt Ive been told that a Jag XK6 is a bolt in unit fore the most part

10. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Update 1973 nova was purchased complete for 300 bucks and the subframe has found its new home on my truck. Rear end was c notched and the running boards are about 6 to 7 inches off the ground without the sheetmetal and motor and trans. I can always rearch the springs or new coils in front if i need to raise it or* I will have room to lower it more once the springs have all settled after driving it for a while. with lowering blocks and drop spindles,chopp a coil.* we spent about 16 hours to do it all so far. next weekend is motor mounts,trans mount and radiator support. Then i can see where i need to weld in my rear leaf saddles for pinion angle. I am stoked.. so far 3300.00 project. Here is a link to projects.. http://sinnersaz.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1420

Will post more pics after work. thanks Mike,Orest and Jerry...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  11. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

UPDATES: 73 subframe is in and just need to do a few minor things to it right now the rear running boards are about 7 inches off the ground and should settle. The front should be the same if not its getting a coil cut. Tomarrow I should be able to make the engine mounts and trans mount. once that is complete I can start on the wiring and order up the bed kit so the rear will be completed. I did not paint the rear end yet cause i need to set my pinion angle and weld the saddles once motor is in.. Enjoy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  12. Looking good!

13. - Aj -

- Aj -

Nice progress!

14. jerry

jerry

Is that with the big wheels on the front?

Looks good on the ground.

jerry

15. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

cool truck, I have a 51

16. brewsir

brewsir

sits good...will look good a little lower too!

17. mow too much

mow too much

Yhea, i built one in 85,they are neat trucks, I put a 49 Ply. bumper on mine, had to reshape the ends a little when they chromed it you could'nt tell it been changed. like you put a 302-c4 lowered in the front by removing springs, I think [email protected] can drop yours if you go that way. Fun trucks to build have fun.

18. mow too much

mow too much

Forget the axle, I see you sub framed it (I did'nt pay attention in school ether) Looks good.

19. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Yeah it has those monster tires on the front but I think i am going low profile radials on this truck. once i get the right tire size and drive it for a while to let the suspension settle If it needs to be lower i will use lowering blocks and cut a coil if needed. If it does not scrape going out my drive way then it is not low enough. haha

20. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Here are the latest and greatest pics. Taking out a branch dent in the roof and just getting it one color and will start on the small dents on pass side. The driver side I need a l/r fender and a driver side door and drv side front cab corner between door and front fender.

Attached Files:

21. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

nice truck,
    did you know your truck has the semi-rare "5 star deluxe cab" option? also it has the 6-cylinder emblem on the hood (those are even more rare, only used in 52)...took me a year to find one in good shape, no re-pop's....

also, do you know about this board? http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/ it's has ton's of info on 48 to 52 ford trucks.... some of the guys post here also.

22. nice build,check out the f-100 socil group

23. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

I did not know that what else of info and difference is the cab? I thought i overpaid the 2 grand cause of the tree branch dent and the cab corner but the sounds of it I did good.

24. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

51 and 52 cabs are the same, trim is alittle different.....
    5 star deluxe cab only options are; locking glovebox, stainless windshield trim (sell for about $300 used), fancy 3 spear hood things, inner doorpanels w/armrests, dome light and a couple other little things i can't remember.

i hope to have my 52 on the road by summer of 2010.....

25. havi

havi

driver side door lock :)

Any pics of the rear bumper? the ribbed ones aren't real rare, but rarer than the regular style of the 48-50's.

26. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Actually its not a ribbed rear fender but just smooth but then it also has bumper extensions around the side of fenders. I cant wait to get them rechromed. I will post pics of bumper when i get back in town. I am in Colorado right now

27. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

So I decide to swap out my cab due to the free cab I came across that was in better shape than my original and both being the 5 star deluxe cabs. My buddy Orest lines up this deal since he is wanting the Mercury Flathead in this beast. Turns out the ol feller used it to pull cars around the desert area behind his garage. It appears that the frame broke so he boxed it in and moved the rear spring perches forward under cab and added his own lil towing set up. Wich The ol winch worked as you will see me fixing the fence with it holding tension. Mind you all this is anywhere from 1/4 inch thick up to 2 inch solid plate,channel and angle iron. Oh look at the front bumper. hope the train wont miss that part of the track. New pics coming soon to disasemble the whole thing down to frame again. pull out all my brand new wiring harness etc.. back to square one for a straight cab! Found couple pairs of headlights,mirrors old gas cans and did I forget I got to Oxy/Acytln set ups for free. went down with cut off wheels and extension cords and found torches. Loaded em up and off we went from phoenix to Bowie az.... SO I named the truck Dixie as his owner passed away and out of all the old cars he kept this one on the lot till the bitter end.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  28. CUZICAN

CUZICAN

Lookin Good!! What's next on your laundry list of things to do.

29. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

I just put in my wiring harness and peddles in the truck so I need to disassemble both trucks this weekend so no nostalgia drags for me I got work to do. I will just swap out the glove box for vin.

30. CUZICAN

CUZICAN

Sounds good. Keep us updated.