Register now to get rid of these ads!

The New Little Pages

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 29, 2011.

1. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

No way, that is awesome! Thanks Mr.chev ^^^^

I have to scour the city after work!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  2. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

A pulse! That's the one thing that the HAMB and TJJ have that no other format can have. You can get an instant feed back on any concept, idea or variation in a trend, instant and with no delay, no bullshit, no sugar coating, if it sux you will know it, it won't fester or start to grow, it will just die an instant death. That instant feed back is the pulse, an interactive virtual magazine that guides you in your possibly every stylistic decision, your every interpretation of what you see and learn.
    A magazine is a wonderful thing and print captures the image in a fantastic way, it is a part of the experience, it preserves the result of the process. This is more, this is the guide as it responds to the masses, this puts the pulse into you. You live the vision.
    Janet only hates due to the jealousy of seeing another so unconstrained, like a declawed house cat sadly watching a ferrel wild cat stalk and hunt from the window of a tidy home. We still need Janet and all that the Janet's of the world have to offer, they just need to be bad kitty once in a while or gain the trust of their masters to let them go rogue and bring their wares into contact with the pulse.
    Any really good house kitty is allowed to roam on occasion, a few of these kittys ought to roam on over to the HAMB Drags and bring home a nice fat juicy mouse. Master will be happy.

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

DAMN! I just read this entire thread!
    I always kinda "felt"some kind of HAMB tension in the printed world, but was unsure if it was real or not. When I read a car mag, I always scan the pages for a HAMB reference on the car, in the background, in the writeup......

JIM A: I got kind of pissed at you regarding the new drop axles and discussions, but after this thread, I'm all good. I have a newfound respect for you and all is well. Glad you're here!

I've let my R&C and StreetRodder lapse, not so much due to finances, but just trying to de-clutter life a bit and trying out my dying laptop at reading time. (mornings with coffee, and any other spare moment!)
    Apparently, a trip to Borders May 3rd is on my agenda. That little pages looks cool as hell!

As far as most car mags go, seems like every month is a front suspension swap of some kind, and maybe a top chop. Granted, great info there, but rarely does something stick with me so well that it gets saved in my magazine archives. Even the ads are predictable - same old Hoffmann Group crap, etc.......

Anyway, Ryan ya hit a bullseye again with your blog. Thanks for the intro to these new little pages!

4. slepe67

slepe67

Ryan,
    You said you don't have a lot of friends...I think you have about 100,000 right here, and I 'll say its a good bet that we're loyal to you.

I'll display my ignorance here..you said you were TRYING to get a magazine on the line. So, you DON'T have any affiliation with HRJ? (I thought it was your mag. I dont get out much) Here's an option: Why don't YOU crank out some Little Pages??? Use that to start your big magazine...I'm sure you would have a FEW subscribers. Look at the sh*t-storm Hot Rod Deluxe started!

I'm in for whatever comes!

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I miss Hop Up...alot

Ryan gave me hope, and then...

I'll give your little pages a chance. I only subscribe to The Rodders Journal right now.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Just picked up a copy, I got some of the Hop Up vibe from it the second I opened it up.

7. Looks like a cool little mag guys - judging from Mr48chev's pics!

Not sure about the prefabbed 'mildew' effect... - is that applied throughout?

8. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'm running out in the morning to get my copy.I also like TRJ,R&C,and just about any traditional hotrod mag.The only one I never buy is the one that has like 50 rockabilly Bettys.I don't like overprocessed,over inked,cottage cheesy chicks sprawled all over the cars.

9. bonesy

bonesy

I really hope it works for them - I'll pick up one for sure.

It reminds me of Hop Up (from the cover shot.) I really miss Hop Up.

10. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I would absolutely purchase a copy of TJJ in print. If no one covers the drags and other stuff that just leaves an exclusive for you. Do it, you put together some of the best wordage around, you have a lot of photographers and you know a cool image instinctively. Maybe Jan could work for you.

11. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

Hey Ger,
    You don't have to dig the aged look, but it's definitely not prefabbed. I scanned an old piece of paper from my collection combined with a few other tricks to make up the texture. Also the cover "Aging" is taken directly from real worn out issues of vintage Rod & Custom magazines. And yes the Aging is through out the whole mag.
    Thanks,
    Aaron

12. Trust me guys, BUY IT!

AWESOME Job Aaron, Rob and crew. Like to see some Mike Chase in there!

13. this week I recieved Rolls and Pleats and normal size R/C..... I looked at the Rolls and Pleats first.... then R/C The event coverage was great in the foreign smaller magazine ..pics were bigger and had better details the R/C was lacking the bigger pics -details because of the layout of ads .... ?????/

sad its all about the cars and the people who love em ...
    dunno? how to get it right
    hope this new R/C works out ... I do love HOT ROD DELUXE ...

keep shaking the tree I guess?

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has an "old little magazine look' but is printed on heavy stock and the photos are clear and the type is easy to read. But when you see it on the magazine rack it jumps right out at you and yells HERE I AM TAKE ME HOME.

Anyone on this board who whines about this one is just too freaking picky and whiny to deal with the way I see it.

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Can't wait to find it.

16. williebill

williebill

Got mine tonight at Books-a-Million..they had it between Diesel World and Used Car Prices..took a minute to find it.
    Good job,RF and Aaron,and the rest of the crew..well worth it,look forward to the next issue.

17. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop had 8 pages of the HAMB drags in issue #3. Can't wait to see the 'little' pages.

18. RF

RF

I hate iPhones...just typed a huge ass reply and all of a sudden--poof! Gone. And I ain't even gonna attempt to re-type it. Except for two parts:
    1) There is NO Janet where I work--she and a few others departed long ago.
    2) Thanks Ryan

19. 3) RF is dreamy

20. RF

RF

Ah, that made all my iFrustration disappear! I'm still turning this damn thing off and goin for a put on the pig to further escape my digital angst--then I'm gonna sit down with a cold one...and read a magazine!

21. I picked up a copy today. Just started going through it. First article is on Dode Martin and Dragmaster. Good stuff.

22. rooman

rooman

Picked mine up at the local Kroger today--its all good.

Roo

23. RF

RF

One last thing I do need to clarify:

There are no memos/mandates sent from above saying what I can or can't do when it comes to mentioning, promoting, etc anything about TJJ and/or the HAMB. Because I find the HAMB to be probably my biggest and worst competition, it often seems as if it'd be repetitious to run events/cars that have already been featured here--just like I view TRJ. And in the last year or two, I've drastically dialed back on event coverage in general, as by the time my print coverage comes out, it's old-old news. However, one show in particular that I had every intention on running was the very show in question here: the Revolution. John Jackson shot the shit out of it for me...I ultimately f'd up and ended up sitting on it too long for no particular reason.

So, while I accept Ryan constantly offering free exorcisms in attempt to rid the publishing demon's that may or may not be controlling me, I will honestly say that there's no HAMB boycotting agenda on my behalf or R&C's either.

Okay, now I am done...for now

24. So I can give my re-read and re-read Hopup annuals a break,

I'll be on the look out down here for the 'new' little pages.

Good luck to Aaron and Rob and all.

CM

25. I hope you do not get the same treatment as your first go around with a good mag like the original hot rod deluxe.

26. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Thanks. I've never been afraid of the truth. It's when things get twisted or turned into rumors that make it frustrating. I'm gonna go build hot rods now and leave the magazine world to people with a "real" passion for it (and their annoying publishers). Remember the thing I was told by a still powerful publisher at Source- "History doesn't sell ads!" That's all I really needed to hear to know my days were numbered.

Glad to har all the positives on this new book- can't wait to grab one!

27. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I'm a die-hard hot rodder...and I feel that any sort of media that promotes hot rodding is usually a good thing...print OR digital. I could write several paragraphs about the subject at hand; but I'll just say that mostly I'm glad that there is another magazine that is willing to run features on the kind of cars I like...traditional hot rods and customs. I'm sure that putting hot rods into the public eye and raising awareness about our hobby does help keep hot rodding alive.

I feel like the ongoing 'chess match' between the old guard and the new kids right now is really just plain unfortunate. However, hot rodding will continue to survive and evolve no matter how it's covered by the media or the format in which it's covered. Both sides may not agree with me on that, but it's the truth.

The new little pages look promising...I'm looking forward to checking out the first issue.

-Brian

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  28. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Isn't he the one who built the Jack Calori tribute roadster? That car is friggin sweet.

29. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

The first time around, HRDx imploded because of the editor, not management.

-Brad

30. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

OK. I just got back from "dinner & a movie" courtesy my brother and his fiance and before the movie we hit the Hastings and I had a chance to check it out.

GREAT JOB GUYS!!! It is top notch for sure! I couldn't purchase it, sadly, or dinner....or the movie:(....but it is great and Lord willing and if the creeks don't rise, I will have my copy!

Thanks again, fellas.:cool: