Register now to get rid of these ads!

The new Hamb taught me something about myself

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Why the hate for Dodges?

2. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I liked everything together. I found myself spending more time on the site because of the variety of interesting threads. I like hot rods, customs, technical threads, history and some of the humor injected....just don't like jumping back and forth....I'm sure I'm missing something cool. Seems like it could still work in the old format with the new security police to enforce the OT thread starters. Wondering why that wasn't tried first.
    Another thing on Chevy small blocks - I would love to have an early 283/327, but I found a low miles 350/turbo 350 that I have $50 in after selling off the car it came in. Any 283/327 is gonna need a rebuild (thousands of dollars that I just don't have right now). My 350 will have tri power and look old school, but I feel like I'll be shunned because I don't have the bucks for a "period" block. I wonder how many fanatics HONESTLY have no newer than '64 parts on their cars. In the old days they built cars with what they had available. What I want to end up with is a 30 coupe on 32 rails similar to GRITS car...just in pagan gold. Wide whites 3 deuces...that's my dream...but it'll probably have a 350.
    I think traditional "flavor" is what's important...MY opinion.

3. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I agree

4. daddio211

daddio211

5. Yep.... but now I know where I wanna be.

6. Ha :) Yes I do have plenty of things I would love to talk about but i'm not very good on the computer, shit....I don't even own one anymore. All I have is my phone :( . I really need to get at least a little laptop or something.

I do like the changes and I think they are long overdue.I remember talking over emails about this with Ryan like a year and a half ago.

7. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Starting to think...I just might not fit in anymore.........Littleman

8. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Littleman has some awesome fabrication skills...I think he more than fits in.

9. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Shoot, he hates dogs as well, what does that say!:eek:

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I have a wide interest which includes Hot Rods, Customs, technical, etc.

The toughest thing for me right now is that there are only a couple of dozen threads in the Custom section and only 3x that in the Hot Rod section. I hit each a few times per day, but bounce right back out because there hasn't been much for new threads or much action on the existing ones. Things seem to be moving really slow lately. (They need to be stimulated by dragging some additional Hot Rod and Custom threads into them). I quickly end up poking around in the general section.

Here's a hybrid style proposal;
    Keep the Custom and Hot Rod sections, but also include their threads in the general discussion section and notate them with a color flag. (ie. Green flag for Hot Rod threads, Blue flag for Custom threads).

An individual could then see everything in the general (as was the case in the past) or go over to the specialty Custom or Hot Rod threads for a defined look.

11. I remember when a question would be on top of the board for many days back in 2000-2004!

Then after the HAMB took off... the threads would "drop faster than a girls panties on prom night"!

I NEVER was a custom guy until I was exposed to them on the old board... doesn't mean that I run over there all the time to see what I'm missing... I don't... but I did have my interest peaked many times when it would "pop up" on the old board.

I guess it makes sense but I did like the diversity and the mix of the Old board and yes that included a couple of OT threads that would bring a smile to my face as well as some different info regarding the cross ties of Aircraft and boats to the traditional automotive threads.

To me the Old board was more like a normal conversation in a garage... after a couple of beers everybody stopped talking about Hotrods and customs and eventually we would cover a gamut of topics that we found interesting or relevant. That's the fun of garage gatherings! Never know where it was going to take you.

The division helps for order but tends to stifle the cavalier fun of hanging out in the garage for the fear of veering off a bit and having the Mods close the thread!

I guess it is a Double edge sword of sorts but worth a try...

12. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Not sure I like the three forums now. I wonder, like one of the above posts, why the original forum wasn't strictly enforced if it was a problem. It couldn't be any more trouble than policing three forums. I liked the mix of rods and customs in one place. Not my place and not my rules, I'll deal with it. It can only get better with all the o.t. Posts eliminated.

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You, my friend, are grandfathered in... :)

14. KKrod

KKrod

I read both hot rod and the customs links.

15. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Its like if I go to your standard car show here in
    so cal, I park near any traditional A, roadster,
    coupe, etc.. that happens to be there... that
    being said... I like the change. Instead of scrolling
    through the previous un-divided general discussion,
    I have a focused list of traditional rodder posts.

Better.

Still love customs..

16. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Grandpa Littleman. I like the sound of that.

Guys, I talk to Ryan often and he cares deeply about this place. It is his life's work and he doesn't take this stuff lightly. Be patient...and remember that this is just a beta test to see how it works and to get people's comments. Stay tuned, it will land on an improved version of the board. Trust me, it will.

17. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

I am really new to the HAMB and only had maybe a week or two of experience with the old setup and I liked it. Now I find myself generally sticking to the general forum and very rarely wandering over to the traditional or customs forums. I totally understand the need for change, and the addition of new moderators has definitely cleaned up some of the crap that I saw on the old HAMB. As a n00b I know my opinion is relatively meaningless, but I figured my .02 is worth, well .02....I like the changes and am looking forward to the future changes ryan has in store.

Jon

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. F&J

F&J

Do it and do it hard core.

This has been eating my tail for a long time: I got thrashed for admitting I use single master on a exposed firewall on a circa 1960 build style.

One hamber said to me: "sometimes you need to wake up"(as far as safety)

..and another hamber threatened to sue my ass good, if I ever crashed into his family, with my single circuit brakes. (he lived 2000 miles away, so he was just grandstanding his ignorance)

The word "Ignorant" comes from the root wore "Ignore", as in ignoring the facts that you don't even know. Are either of these two Kreskins ever been ASE Certified in brakes, like I have? Besides that, why should single circuit be a issue at all, on a traditional-ONLY site? You guys are the outsiders with your safety blanket B/S, not ME.

Let's cut and weld a pitman arm to start things off good

19. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I don't like change in hardly anything..........I liked it like it was....I have a varied interest...I like traditional, street rods and customs........I like it like it was.

20. slammed

slammed

'Street Rods? What era are you referring to? I thank Ryan its not going back to the way it was. Refinement coming, more streamline. You should have been here 8-9 years ago.

21. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

It's fine. Like any change it takes a bit to get used to it and then it becomes second nature.

22. Bilt

Bilt

I like it thus far. I use a computer part of the time and a "cellphone app" most of the time. To me the new style is easier on the cell app. Once again I would say Ryan is moving things in a positive direction.

23. BRENT

BRENT

I love "Customs" but now I feel alienated because I love "Kustoms" if you know what I mean? Its like an invisible line that I am afraid to cross, and maybe I should be since this is more a traditional car site.

Another board has a custom and hotrod section and everyone seems to cohabitate as long as the car fits the category. I wouldn't ask about a quick change rear end in the custom section but might ask it in the hotrod section, if you know what I mean.

Just because I'm down with the traditional way of things doesn't mean I don't want to see things with some modern interpretations,

I do love how the HAMB is becoming more focused and maybe other are right in the call for more sub sections. ie: Chopping a roof section, flathead motors, SBC, SBF, Mopar, Suspension, electrical, etc....but that can be somewhat huge and cumbersome and people will just go into the general discussion shoot the shit about everything but cars.

24. Bilt

Bilt

On the App I use, if I go to the "new post" it just mixes the last 99 post on the Hamb, I think. Guess that's all I've looked at...maybe, I'm missing a bunch so I better play with the app more.

25. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Whoa...someone's got their panties in a wad. Maybe the "kreskins" were a bit abrasive but is being safe bad? Maybe they have families they care about. You might want to watch what you quote here, too..."Do it and do it hard" and "traditional-ONLY". I don't think the true hard core traditionalists would approve of the 1-800 fiberglass roof and grille shell on your 32. :eek:

26. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Being a model A nut, I stick to the hot rod side of the forum myself

27. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Some of the most traditional cars built today have some modern parts in them...I believe if we keep it a fine line but not a knotted rope it would be cool. With it now my Victoria only fits on the main board. I am OK with that and I hope my 46 Mercury will fit in the Custom thread and it will keep me focused to be there.

28. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Ya know, I just clicked on the new posts tab and it almost brings it back to the way it was....just adds in the classifieds.

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You guys complaining or wondering, try this tomorrow on the way to work. Stop at a good bagel shop and ask for a donut. If it's a good shop, they probably won't have any and the person behind you is going to ask if you to move out of the way. If they do have some donuts, you know where they'll be? In the donut section.

We're lucky. Our baker says he's working on things, so everyone can get what they want. That means, take a number and wait. The person that was behind you is laughing at you though.

30. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I have a an all steel '29 Model A truck that I use daily in my Sign Shop business...I call it a Street Rod...I guess because when it is washed, the paint does shine.......I also have a '32 Roadster and '32 5 Window...both are Tupperware, but also a blast to drive......I like them all pretty much....what I call them is just what I guess I've learned to call them over the years.....I've had Merc's and I called them Customs or Cruisers.......I love the Traditional cars also...I can really appreciate the era they are coming from...I call them Hot Rods, because when I was a teenager back in the 60's, it it was modified in any way, it was a Hot Rod....I remember neighbors saying..."It was that kid in the Hot Rod"...no offense to whatever you want to call yours.....I know what a rat rod is also.......they haven't impressed me that much......I came from an era if you were going to work hard on something, make it nice and shiney, but that's just me...I can appreciate all the work that even goes into a parts wagon someone pulled around at a swap meet.............so there...that should pretty much explain what I mean when I call a car a Street Rod.....Custom or Hot Rod