Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The NEW HAMB Dictionary thread (I hope!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51chevcoupe, Jul 31, 2009.

1. 51chevcoupe

51chevcoupe

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CEd%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I think that the time has come to create an official HAMB dictionary that anyone here on the site can use to understand and explain the definitions of the common terms and phrases used in the vintage rod world. Can you imagine how much of a service we would be doing to the old car community? It will make the HAMB the premiere vintage car information site ( I know, I know- it already is, but this will add another jewel to the crown) in the world !!!!! The Ultimate Authority On All Things Vintage! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Sorry….. I got a little carried away.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    We should use the Wiki format- HAMB members can submit their definitions for all to see and with everyone's input an approved definition will emerge to be added to the dictionary. Once a definition is nailed down, it can be added to a dictionary file to be kept in the archives. C’mon, what do ya think?
    I’ll get the ball rolling by throwing in my idea for the phrase “barn find”.
    A barn find IS:

a car that has been stuffed in a building and left for a long period of time (lotsa years) with no real intention of doing anything with it by the present owner.

had crap stored on and around it until the car disappears from sight

been off the street for more than a couple of years

mostly complete whether assembled or not (otherwise it is just a pile of parts)

a vintage car (not the 1982 Citation behind your neighbors garage)

A barn find is NOT:

a car that is in storage for the winter

a car that has been maintained (washed and waxed regularly, etc.) while in storage

a car that is being driven on a regular basis
    every car found inside a building

90% of the cars that are claimed to be one

2. 51chevcoupe

51chevcoupe

I'm not sure where the smiley's came from...... weird.

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

My take:

A barn find IS:

a car that has been stuffed in a building and left for a long period of time (lotsa years) with no real intention of doing anything with it by the present owner. Add: or even those old guys that say they're gonna restore it and never will...

had crap stored on and around it until the car disappears from sight Add: and/or covered with real dirt, dust, chicken shit, or REAL patina.

been off the street for more than a couple of years. Should Be: been off the street for more than 30 years.

mostly complete whether assembled or not (otherwise it is just a pile of parts). Should be: mostly complete, other than 'minor' stuff off (fenders, bumpers, hood, deck lid)

a vintage car (not the 1982 Citation behind your neighbors garage). Should be: A vintage car of at least 45 years old , that'd place it somewhere around 1964 or earlier.

R-