Register now to get rid of these ads!

The most "saved" car body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Van Dyke, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Through the years which car body,(make and year) has received the most saves? My votes would be the 32,33/34 and 40 Fords. Maybe mid 50's Chev. Wonder what the "survivor" rate really is.

2. Actually I think more of those old Fords wre destroyed on dirttracks and the like, than saved.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'47-'55 Chev & GMC trucks ...

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I think model A's, all body styles......

5. Larry T

Larry T

Bill,
    I'd agree with you as to the most popular body styles and folks will spend more time and money to "bring one of them back". But because they don't bring near the money the ones you mention (less desirable??), I'd have to say more Model A's have been worked on than the 32/33/34/40's. It'd be a toss up whether some of them are "saved" or not.
    Larry T

6. ScottV

ScottV

I am going to have to go with the vererble Model A as well.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I started the save on my 1930 Roadster body in 1962, sold it, got it back totaly unchanged 25 years later, and worked on it today.

8. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

I think you guys might be right. Back in the 70's here in Tucson all the dentists and doctors were restoring A's.

9. rustdodger

rustdodger

If you are looking strictly at percentage of produced versus number still on the road I have to think it would be an exotic,maybe AC Cobras. the only Cobras lost were waded up into balls in high speed wrecks they have been a hot comidity almost since new. '32 Fords have been seen as desireable since they were still on the road in large numbers probably a good ouess for sheer numbers. though with 32 Ford so many have been made in recent years it's hard to figure how many of them were made in '32. I've heard it said that Ford sold more cars in '57 than Chevy, if that is true the Chevys are sure more common now!

10. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

It may be another Ford, the 1965 Mustang coupe, a lot of them around too.

11. HAHAHA! Funny you say that,cause my dentist had one of the largest Model A collection in the country. He had firetrucks,ambulances,woodys,Depot hacks,deliverys,big trucks,and even a paddy wagon,also about 50 Coupes and Sedans. I'm sure he's dead by now. He used to tell me to "come by and pick one out before I die"! I never took him seriously.

12. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

13. as a percentage of total production , i would have to say Model A Ford. i once recall reading that the total production was slightly over 4 million , and that it was estimated that 1 million was still in existence....that's 25 %. i have no proof to back that up , and google came up with nothing

14. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

Corvettes would be my guess.

15. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

I like the earlier post about A C cobras % lost to saved ,so I would like to add to that .the Hemi cuda converts if I remember correct all are found and restored or saved . But in real numbers I think mustangs .

16. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Model a and 32 ford.

17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'd say Model A also. Parts are plentiful. Lippy

18. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

............................................................................

Attached Files:

19. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I see more AD trucks than I see AMC Eagles. Besides the one in my yard there are probably at least 15-20 of them within 10 miles of me. AD trucks may be not the most saved of all time but I would be wiling to bet more of them survived than any other 50s era non-speciality vehicle. As far as 50s cars go I come across a few 49-54 Chevy cars. For 50s orphan makes I see a few Crosleys and those strange looking Kaiser cars.

20. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Id have to say model A 'S ALSO Also the guy posted a pic of a citroen ,These guys are in a a class by themselves and have a following ,They are my second choice .....I even have one Citroen Traction in the shed ,Im making a pickup cab out of it....

21. -Brent-

-Brent-

I don't know if I'd say the Model A, although it could be. So many were produced and what's saved has to do with availability. Most saved compared out of total production, my first thought is tri-five Chevy.

22. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Most saved as a % of cars built, Dusenburg (sp?).

23. bonesy

bonesy

For "common" cars, I thought the same thing. # Saved / # Built.

24. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I read a few years ago that 55/56/57 T birds had the highest survival rate of any American car made at 98% still registered. There were considered collectable right off the assembly line.

jim h

25. rustdodger

rustdodger

Good call. Some of the others thqat have been mentoined were make in such huge quantites that even with diminished numbers there are still lots of them around. As examples Mustangs model T's and A's sold like crazy so there are still quite a few around.

26. KIRK!

KIRK!

I have heard that there are more '32 Fords on the road today than were ever produced. I think it's an exaggeration, but the point is that there are definitely more "reproduced" Deuces that originals these days.

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hah! Citroens...And they were all saved in San Francisco by limp-wristed bodymen, who married amongst themselves...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  28. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

tri five chevys ???

29. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

67-69 camaros.to each his own i guess. thes guys go ya-ya over a rusted out body bout as bad as some of us do over a 32. those of us who find em(32's) anyway,me not being one of those.i'm jus sayin:rolleyes:

30. 2-TONED

2-TONED

i think its what was desireable. 32,33,34s were 'always' desireable therefore saved more. used and abused more and also saved more.

55,56,57 chevs were hot stuff right off the line. there were many made and many wrecked but always in demand and saved.

nobody ever really threw a nomad away. it happened but not often. they were saved in any condition.

49-51 mercs were desired and still are and saved for the most part.

any year vette. there are carcuses all over. they were saved. i always drove behind old mechanic shops or body shops no matter what town i was in & thered be a vette 1/2 apart sittin out back. ---- its the desireable stuff that was saved cause it was/still is in demand.

if ALLLLL cars were the same price what would you really want to own today? prices are sky high on the desireable stuff because its highly desired!

in the 70s and 80s we'd get word of a coupe in a barn, get excited and go look at it and if it was a model A it was kind of a bummer. close the doors back up and leave empty but never forget it was there. (today id load)

hemi cudas, ac cobras, SS chevelles, 55,56,57 chevs, T-birds, ford 3 windows, 40 deluxe coupes, convertibles....etc... etc... etc... they were always and still are desireable. ---- also rare does not always mean desireable. kaisers may be rare. dont want one!

there seems to be more kinds of cars desired today. but they wont pass by the cars that were always desired and saved more for years.