Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Mexicali Merc, another 40 Custom in the works

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Sledge, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Whaaaaaaa?????:eek::eek::eek:

2. sled

sled

3. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Yeah that black 39 Merc is super nice! It's owned by my friend Tim from Denmark. He bought it from a guy in Idaho about 5 months ago. It's getting chopped, lowered and some other mild custom touches done. Then it's getting shipped over to him.

4. sled

sled

Kev,you should call your place the Merc kustom point ,ot somethin like that..looks like all the cool Mercs are crossing for some treatment at your place recently,ah,ah,ah ..curious to see the haircut on this one

5. LOVE it guys.

6. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

A Stock 39 and 40 merc looks good IMO, but the lines you give Them is
    much more beutiful and breathtaking! It turns it in to a much more classy car!!

With that In mind I must say you are a No-Cal master of chop!! And it might be an arear bigger then that!!

So now you have 2 39 merc coupes, 1 40 merc coupe, a 40 merc with a carson top, a 32 coupe (can't se Windows), what might be a mid 30s Ford in/around your shop? That must be great for you

7. VonKool13

VonKool13

Wow what a change for the better. Factory Merc roof lines are pretty ugly when compared to a correctly chopped roof line.

8. ausbuick

ausbuick

9. x2
    x3

10. jfrolka

jfrolka

Hell Ya!! A can of some Gibbs and metal finish that whole body and your good to go.

Sled, not to distract this beauty but whatever happened to your 50 merc that was being completely rebuilt?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  11. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Its truly amazing what fender skirts and a chop do to these cars (properly done of course). The stock roof and rear wheel opening just look so awkward, then you turn it into something beautiful. Great work Sledge

12. sled

sled

Jfrolka..as budget allows currently i decided to let Kev do the whole bodywork massaged and old school lead where necessary..im trying to get the rear fenders,especially drivers side wich is pretty bad...plus correct perior correct parts for it,side trimming too...and no paint for now cause i really wanna enjoy it in bare metal to appreciate the awesome work and flow..exactly what i was thinkin,Gibbs oil all over..curious to try it,i never use it yet but i've heard good things of it and that's the way we go for a good while...

About the 50 Merc is still is in the back side of the garage in Guadalajara,waitin its turn too..now that im motivated with the 40 the only thing i need is to get more cash( aint easy to save these days) for this one too..still needs a good amount of body metalwork to get it done..that thing was totally gone,so it has been a double task..first rebuilding the stock car and customizing it...but has to be done the proper way too..no excuses!!I discarded also the 454 Bb engine idea,too new.I probably get something older..Hemi,Rocket or such...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  13. sled

sled

Yeah,i cant almost recognize it myself...what an incredible diffeence!!

Now,im in a mission trying to save the couple other 39/40 Merc coupes around Mexico...they are too scarce to loose em!!!I dont care being broke but i really have the itch to buy em and save em,i feel it

14. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This willl give you an idea of how much I like these Mercs .... :D
    [​IMG]

15. Sled. Use the Gibbs. It's a really great product.

16. sled

sled

Cheers mate..sure i will

17. jfrolka

jfrolka

Gibbs is great, its meant for removing rust from metal and also protect it. Its awesome stuff. Im not sure how it is to completely remove before bodywork is started tho. You may want to look into that before soakin her down.

I like the decision you are making on not putting the bbc in the 50 merc, it does deserve something a bit different... I would vote a blown mercury flathead with ardun heads :cool:

18. sled

sled

Yeah,i wanna see this taildragger rolling around Califas for a while in bare metal,so Gibbs will be sprayed...

Geee,would love a blown flattie Ardun ,i know where a set of heads are sitting collecting dust locally but man oh man..looks like that building one of these beauties prices will raise on the 50K range...impossible to afford for me,sadly...:eek:
    I can buy a flat in town with that much..:cool:

19. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Hey that's cool Baron!

20. shiftervic

shiftervic
    from So. Cal.

Great job my friend...I'm proud of you!

21. chopit

chopit
    from sweden

Fantastic work, the car will be as good as your

one more merc saved from boring original

22. sled

sled

Yeah,Kevan does killer work and puts all his soul into it..i feel honored to have him workin on my car but the credit is ALL his ..and yes Chopit,I'll do all my best to save all the other Mercs in Mexico from boring original ,as you say;):D

23. DKroadsters

DKroadsters

Hi Sled
    Truly amazing job Kevan is doing on your car
    Kevan is going to do his famous treatment on my car too, the 39 revealed earlier.
    Please let us know which parts you are missing.
    We will all look after the right parts for you, when we are cruising the internet anyway
    This is a fantastic thread to follow and i fully feel your exitement too
    Tim Kirkegaard, Denmark

24. sled

sled

Hi there Tim
    ah,this international network works great and still thinkin that Kevan's place is the center of the world right now when it comes down to 39/40 Mercs..(and not only)
    Very much appreciate your offer Tim regarding the missing parts..yeah,its great to try to save all these stuff to pass it along to the fellow owner,so we can get them done sooner or later...glad to see another cool, chop and kustom trratment on the go on your 39..i assume you're showin it in a specific thread ,right?
    Will PM you on stuff i need for sure...thanks again!!!

25. GREASER13

GREASER13

Dam homie all I can say is WOW...im from mexicali too...de la pro hogar. But we're living out in houston tx, big fan of your work!! Keep it up dude.

26. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Looking very good kevan..

27. DKroadsters

DKroadsters

Yes the world is getting smaller each day
    I think we do a new thread later on, when Kevan is ready
    I have been following this fantastic thread, like many many others and this gives great inspiration to alot of people
    You Can PM me or send an email, [email protected]
    Sometimes i have found some parts i do not need, when i look for parts on the internet
    Thanks again for showing us this, Kevan and Sled

Tim

28. 133

such a killer Merc. great job. i think it would be a crime to put paint on it.

29. sled

sled

Hey Greaser..glad you like Merc...Kevan is doin a fantastic job..way more than expected,he's the man!!

the story on the Mexicali name is that is an effort between Mexico and CALI..fornia...Kev came up with this name too,we liked and its the Mexicali Merc then

btw, great avatar ...who did it?? love it!

30. sled

sled

Hey Tim
    lookin forward to see yours chopped soon then...Kev told me about your merc being chopped time ago..nice to see more and more of these Mercs customized ..there are only few in Europe of these....pretty amazing considering how many US cars there are in Scandinavia but even in Sweden there are only a few as far i know ...in Mexico mine its the only one customized,im sure of it...In Danmark i dont reckon anyone exept Anders Toft modified 39 convertible..a bit too street rodded to me!