Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Medley Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hipojoe, Jul 24, 2021.

1. hipojoe

hipojoe

Something didnt work out will have to try again.

Deuces, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  2. hipojoe

hipojoe

Kong was one of my Dads mentors and as a friendship token he gifted my Dad what is probably the last ignition he ever built. Here it is!

nevrdun, Deuces, Nobey and 2 others like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    brady1929 and loudbang like this.
  4. hipojoe

hipojoe

5. loudbang

loudbang

Worked triple fine that time :rolleyes:

39ChevyBob, SS327, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

Remember one thing, post something and if it doesn't work somehow, YOU can delete and or EDIT your own posts for awhile (maybe a couple days) before they become permanent. No need to call for a mod.

Just look at the bottom of the post you want to fix and find this

1.jpg

So just like a good body painter you can correct any mistakes. :rolleyes:

Outback, Deuces, Hamtown Al and 2 others like this.
  7. hipojoe

hipojoe

Try another pic. IMG_0894[215].JPG IMG_0894[215].JPG

Outback, LowKat, The 39 guy and 11 others like this.
  8. hipojoe

hipojoe

Apologies for wasting space, its like learning Chinese, hope to understand it a little better soon.

9. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

That looks very clean and in great shape.

Deuces, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, it looks Dry State Solid...

Deuces, brady1929 and loudbang like this.
  11. goldmountain

goldmountain

More pictures please. Definitely worth the wait.

12. hipojoe

hipojoe

65 years in the making... Coming at ya! See if i can get some pictures to load. IMG_0967.JPG IMG_0967.JPG IMG_0978.JPG IMG_0978.JPG IMG_0977.JPG IMG_0976.JPG IMG_0975.JPG IMG_0974.JPG IMG_0973.JPG IMG_0972.JPG IMG_0971.JPG IMG_0970.JPG IMG_0969.JPG

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sport Coupe?...I reread Special Coupe...:)

Hipo, your getting the hang of posting pics now...;)

14. dln1949

dln1949

Well so far it's my favorite color.....

Deuces and Stogy like this.
  15. hipojoe

hipojoe

This car was Toms daily driver back in the late 40s , one day he stopped by his good friends NEW Hot Rod shop in Pasadena Ca.- owned by Don Blair of BLAIRS SPEED SHOP which is the oldest running continuously operated speed shop in the world. He drew a cartoon and hung it on the wall, another customer named Bob Peterson of HOT ROD magazine saw that cartoon and wanted to talk to the man that drew it! Don put the two together and Bob offered Tom a job and the rest is history. So began a career path for a man that was the kindest, friendliest, hands on guy in our Hobby. It seemed there wasnt much that Tom couldnt do., He could write articles, take pictures, he did upholstery work in which my Dads car still has in today, that is over 70 years old and looks like it did when it was installed . RIP my friend-

The 39 guy, Deuces, Nobey and 13 others like this.
  16. hipojoe

hipojoe

I dont know how much fuel a hotted up flathead can take, but we have a manifold to run 3- 97s and if needed a manifold to run 4- 97s. Any experience running multiple carbs is greatly appreciated.!

Outback, Deuces, Nobey and 2 others like this.
  17. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Fantastic story! Subscribed.

18. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Wasn't this car rebuilt after a fire ???????

Stogy likes this.
  19. hipojoe

hipojoe

Wrong car that was Toms 40.....

41woodie, Deuces, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  20. loudbang

loudbang

@Flatheadjohn47 could probably give you the correct advice. :)

21. hipojoe

hipojoe

Any input on how much carburation a full Boogie Flattie can handle, obviously some progressive linkage would be good. I dont see many four, 97s being run on anything?

Deuces and Stogy like this.
  22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Man alive!!!!!!!! So glad I found this thread,
    I'll be 84 in just over 3 months and Stroker McGurk cartoons and Tom Medley articles were first run stuff for me almost from the beginnings of HRM. Definitely willbe keeping an eye on this rebuild!

Deuces, Stogy, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  23. hipojoe

hipojoe

Here are a few update pics, It amazes me how much wood is in a Special Coupe.

Attached Files:

The 39 guy, -Brent-, Malcolm and 12 others like this.
  24. hipojoe

hipojoe

This is basically only the second time in approximately 65 years that his pride and joy has seen the light of day. First time was at the Hot Rod cover car show in Pomona. This is how dad got the car over 60 years ago, making progress, maybe have it running in the next couple of weeks, we shall see. Keep you posted! IMG_0743[740].JPG IMG_0743[740].JPG

-Brent-, impala4speed, rod1 and 13 others like this.
  25. hipojoe

hipojoe

Today was a very special day for our family as this was the FIRST time in over 60 years that the MEDLEY COUPE... The one and only STROKER MCGURKs Burger joint brawler came roaring to life! The stress, the worry, the what ifs, were swirling around in my head which was all for naught when my POPS hit the switch. The full boogie 239 inch flattie lit off with a smoothness and sound that was stirring to my soul. This is the car I played in and made vroom vroom sounds in, almost 60 years ago! Now the reality of being able to enjoy this with my Father is immeasurable! I will post some more pictures and a video later, of that moment, all involved are still sort of shell shocked . Did that really just happen? Those were our thoughts,,, More later-

26. hipojoe

hipojoe

Bringing it back to the way it was... Here are some progress shots. IMG_1015.JPG IMG_1014.JPG IMG_1013.JPG IMG_1012.JPG IMG_1011.JPG IMG_1010.JPG IMG_1009.JPG

27. Nobey

Nobey

You and your dads story really touched me, I'm so glad you came on here to share you build. Tom was everything
    you say he was, I spent Sunday morning walking around the cars at the Hot Rod Homecoming with Tom, and he
    wanted to show me his old car. He told my about doing the upholstery himself and some of it was still in the car.
    My car was on display there straight across form yours, and I kept watching for you guys to come around the car to meet you, but that never happened. That was back in 2013 and a year latter Tom was gone. I bought a set of Moon
    tank brackets for Gary his son that were N.O.S. and had been through the fire at his garage. They are in my 34 pickup
    now and a way to remember Tom. He was one of the nicest human beings on the planet and never lost his excitement
    for Hot Rods. The photo is of Tom and I standing next to your car. Wow this build is really going to be exciting.... HOT ROD MAGIZINE SHOW 2013 078.jpg HOT ROD MAGIZINE SHOW 2013 081.jpg

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's even more special is the fact you're keeping it a Special...thank you...;)

Nobey, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  29. hipojoe

hipojoe

WOW! ... Thanks for posting those pics of that event it was like we were there just yesterday. Tom floated around the car all weekend telling stories of its history, listening to some of the stories I reflected of the statement, if that car could talk..... OOOH the stories it could tell. Chevy Chase drive, the LA river bottom, Bobs Big Boy Toluca lake the original, girlfriends, Muroc dry lakes and ripping the soft top off of it resulting in it being parked for the next 6 decades. Tom was proud of his handiwork and it still wears most of the upholstery he stitched for it around 1950. Luckily Pops has stored everything the way it was, kinda pack rat, kinda hoarder, he wont get rid of even an old rusty bolt. Pops is a little too old to head to some of the vintage races, but we plan on doing some hill climbs and races with it, in keeping with its racy heritage with me at the wheel. Hope to see some of you at some of the big gatherings if we can get past COVID and other things. Be safe!

30. Nobey

Nobey

No problem on the photos....This is really a big undertaking and I'm glad you posted all the photos so far. Kudos
    to your Pops for saving all the original hardware, that is so important on a build like this. You're going to have fun
    everywhere you take the car and get to tell Tom's story, this is a real piece of Hot Rod history. As far as running
    more than two carburetors on the street really doesn't work well. Some guys block off the center carb and run the
    outer two for looks.