Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Markley Bros BELLY TANK: A Pictorial History

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Markley Bros. #360D Belly Tank - by William Hewitt  (1964 - 13a).JPG

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  2. This photo shows there is no doubt the car ran a swing axle rear end. Remarkable engineering for the time.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Check out the scatter shield in post 178, 179, 180. THAT is an incredible car. 280 mph in a damn gerbil ball 3 inches above the salt. WTF ! ?

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This is defenet profe of I'm born at least thirty years too late!

Love everything about it! Wish I was there, the car guys around my neigherborhood dont know there @@s from a hole in the ground!

But this is determent men, with the means too make it happen, and other people around to back them up. It's not only charley, no tv show and no drama!

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

It is my favorite Bonneville tank, still have the issue of Hot Rod were it was the cover car. Wonder id any of that rear swing axle design has anything in common with the Allard setup from the early 1950's. Bob

6. The swing axle was home built from Ford pieces. The Brisette Brothers tank ran the same set up. You can see some of the details in this photo.
    [​IMG]

psychocross and volvobrynk like this.
  7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My understand is that the swing axle was a design used by Bob Herda in his 'liner. And Keniz and Lesily in there's My roadster also uses that basic design. V8 quick change (I seem to remember Charlie telling me they used a Model A QC) Lincoln Bells and U joints. Mine has '56 Olds outers.

HEMI32 likes this.
  8. Thanks for the info Rich. I knew the design went back quite a ways. Didn't some of the rear engine modified roadsters run swing axles back in the day?

9. @RichFox & @Dean Lowe -

Not to get too far off topic from the focus of this thread (the Markley's belly tank) ... but for reference ... Here's a (circa 1955) pic of the Herda #999 "Attempt 1" streamliner's rear-end:

Herda #999 \'Attempt 1\' streamliner (1955) construction - Rear End (by Bill Hewitt).JPG
    click thumbnail to enlarge

... and a couple (circa 1961) pics of the Herda #999 streamliner's swing-axle rear-end:

Herda #999 streamliner (1961) construction - Rear End - pic 1 (by Bill Hewitt).JPG
    Herda #999 streamliner (1961) construction - Rear End - pic 2 (by Bill Hewitt).JPG
    click thumbnails to enlarge

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I believe that style of swing axle rear was some what popular at that time. I don't know, but I may be the only one still running with one. I think it was popular because it allowed the solid coupling of the rear with the trans in as well as being a sort of IRS. Mine uses cross torsion bars similar to the Herda car.

HEMI32 likes this.
  11. psychocross

psychocross
    from Seattle

Thanks for the additional photos. It's great to see more pics of my dad and all his friends.

volvobrynk and HEMI32 like this.
  12. Charlie was gracious enough to send me several B&W prints (& 2 color postcards) from the Markley family photo album ...

A snapshot of the #360C belly tank at the Wendover airport in October of 1965:

OCT 65.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    402BOSSMAN, volvobrynk and Dean Lowe like this.
  13. Several (circa 1966) B&W snapshots of the #360C lakester:

AUG 66 (1).jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    psychocross and volvobrynk like this.