Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ***The "Malcolm" Model A Roadster Build* (Updated 01/23/11)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Dec 23, 2010.

1. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Way to go Nick! I really dig the "fork" idea, not something you see every day.

2. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Like the tuning fork idea!
    Do you have room to weld a threaded boss to the rear face of the axle to take the bolt?If so ,you wouldn't see it from the front.

3. cal1954

cal1954
    from Omaha, NE

The inside radius of the funky fork is stainless steel. I agree needs to be black so it goes away. Putting that fork where we did was an attempt to keep it out of sight when the car is all together.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Yep! That's actually a better idea than just drilling through the axle.
    I should also correct what I said earlier --- Andy had me buy a couple shoulder bolts from McMaster Carr that we thought would both be too short. Welding a threaded bung to the center of the axle will probably make one of those bolts useable.

Yep, all of the suspension components will be black. The radiator will either be right above the fork, or just in front of it like we talked (while still clearing the axle of course), so it'll be pretty well hidden no matter what.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

The fork has worked before but when I did it I updated it to include a small sealed roller bearing to roll up and down inside the fork. I took the idea from a piece made many years ago by the Deuce Factory

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah! Now I can see "the fork" better. Pretty cool! The other picture you posted on FB was deceiving. Thought you had a tight fitting square follower attached to the axle or something.

7. alchemy

alchemy

Hey, I know that Kevin Bacon! So all you guys can add up your six degrees of separation from me now.

The fork sounds like a good idea, but does it have to be so big and, no offense, ugly? I hope that won't show when the radiator and grille are on. The Busby fork is so small and trim, can you thin yours down a bit?

8. cal1954

cal1954
    from Omaha, NE

Well obviously you didn't read. The fork was made larger for mounting reasons due to the u bolts of the spring. Second as stated by Nick the radiator and axle cover 90 percent of the ugly fork. So Think of it assembled and not much will be visible.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  9. alchemy

alchemy

Oh, hit a nerve huh? Sorry. You must be the guy that made that part.

I understand why it is wider, so you could mount it with those bolts on either side of the U-bolts. But does it really need the stiffener rib all around the outer edge? It probably weighs ten times as much as the Busby fork. Looks like maybe you could reduce the bulk, and make it less...., just less. Just asking, as I have never installed any of those before. Every part on our cars should be purposeful, yet beautiful.

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Just to clear the air, I'm really not worried about what it looks like as long as it's functional. Appearance is subjective and as is already stated, you'll see very little of the FFork when everything is in place and assembled.

Would it be more pleasing to your eye if I drilled a bunch of holes in it? :D

I don't quite agree with your every part should be purposeful and beautiful... but that doesn't matter.... :)

11. Deadbird

Deadbird

The build is looking great Nick. Thanks for posting the CAD model too. HVAC design has come a long way since I was doing it in the late 80's early 90's. Looks like fun. You guys hiring any old dogs? :D

12. uwonamos

uwonamos
    from Omaha, Ne

Hey Nick, been watchin' from afar, & she's lookin really good. Hope to get a good look down at WOW's. See you next month. Dan

13. rat seeker

rat seeker

14. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

He said FFork :D

15. Looks awesome, subscribed!

16. banditomerc

banditomerc

Just came up on this build thread of yours!!! Looks great.I to have subscribed.

17. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Be sure to check out part two!

iPhone - TJJ App

18. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

19. 067chevy

067chevy

So hows the build coming along in 2012?

20. lake_harley

lake_harley

I following this thread as it developed and decided to revisit it to verify that quarter elliptic springs were used as lower links on the rear triangulated 4-bar suspension. Look like my memory was correct.

Just wondering, Malcolm (hope you see this), if you have any comments about that rear suspension setup? Any bad habits like "darting" if you hit a big bump or pothole, or any "rear steer" on hard acceleration?

I'm in the thinking stage of building a '23 T with a turtledeck and would like to minimize the amount of room required for the rearend and suspension. With any luck at all I'd have room in the turtledeck for a 8-ish Gal. fuel tank, battery and maybe even a deflated beach ball.:D

Thanks

Lynn

Six Ball likes this.
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Partly because of this build I am planning to use a similar rear suspension on my roadster. I too would like to hear how this has done since it has been around a while now.

loudbang and Malcolm like this.
  22. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Not to butt in but I've done several customer chassis with 1/4 elliptics and ladder bars with success. I use the Posie setup with P&J ladder bars. I built my first setup like this in 1984 under a steel 32 roadster using a 40 front spring cut in half for the top and a pair of bars for the bottom like a 4 bar. I see this car every so often in CA and it's got over a 150k on it with no problems.

loudbang, Tim, Malcolm and 2 others like this.
  23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

It has worked out well. 50k+ miles so far. One thing I would change is doing a parallel 4-bar + panhard bar (lower bar is the quarter elliptical spring, no shackles) arrangement instead of the triangulated 4-link. The triangulated setup has good road manners, does well on the drag strip with slicks, but in an articulating situation - like pulling in at an angle to a steep driveway it puts a lot of stress on the axle bracket where the spring bolts on. It has broken twice. Now gusseted to where it shouldn't happen again.

Outback, loudbang, Tim and 2 others like this.
  24. lake_harley

lake_harley

Thanks, Malcolm. So the mount holding the spring to the rearend housing is breaking from the force of the leaf stack resisting the twist?

I appreciate the feedback. Congrats on 50K on the car!

Lynn

loudbang and Six Ball like this.
  25. lake_harley

lake_harley

I recall these front spring eye pivots from years ago selling circle track racing parts. https://pitstopusa.com/i-5069138-afco-pivot-assembly-front-spring-eye.html To my knowledge they're only made for the front of Chrysler type leaf springs, but I'd think something similar could be put together to fit other diameter and widths of leaf springs. Basically, they have a spherical rod end in the center and allow the spring and mount to flex. Can't see why it wouldn't work on the tringulated 4- bar using a quarter elliptic spring for the lower links.

Lynn

loudbang likes this.
  26. Posies' make a shackle just for this purpose, I have used quarter ecliptic's on 4 cars. 2 were set up with a 4 bar and panhard bar, with no problems. I had nowhere near 50K miles on them. The last 2 are being set up with ladder bars with shackles off of the ladder bar mount to the spring. 1 car is done with just a few miles on it and the other I I'm in the building stage will have to see how these work. I had a sway bar on my Rdst Pu and I am putting one on the current roadster I'm building.
    I'm enclosing a picture of the shackle that Posies' sells IMG_20200620_213427359.jpg

Outback, brEad, teach'm and 3 others like this.
  27. mgermca

mgermca

I'm thinking this part won't work where the spring is used as a suspension link and its length must remain constant. In instances where this type of spherical joint is used is where the axle is constrained by links other than the spring itself. On Nick's suspension configuration, the lower leaf spring is an axle locating link and its length is critical to keeping it where it's supposed to be. It's indeed a cool part but not a fix here...

Malcolm likes this.
  28. I wasn't referring to Malcom's set up. I was referring to lake_harley's question about putting quarter eliptics in his 23 T. He would have to use ladder bars to use the Posie shackles. My roadster Pu is set up the same as Malcom's car.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021