Register now to get rid of these ads!

The making of a cylinder head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by George Miller, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Qparker

Qparker

look at a 6-71 head from a detroit diesel and base it off that and you'll be making LOTS of $$$$$$$$$$$$...

just make your head for gas, not diesel...

2. Such ingenious talent! :eek:

3. Wow! Just like that - it runs.:cool:

4. fourforeverfours

fourforeverfours
    from CA

George, have you considered Terry Burtz's new block? That project seems a natural for your head. I've been anticipating the purchase of at least one of his blocks as it seems to me that for a daily driver/touring motor that it would be better to begin with a new motor than an eighty year old + motor. I like a lot of the others would like to have the experience and knowledge to tackle such a project as yours, but at my age it's not most likely going to happen. I'm right on your heels age wise. Thank you for sharing your capabilities and showing many younger fellows what can be accomplished if one has a mind to.

Below are a couple of url's that will highlight what goes into building a motors short block. Takes a lot of moxey, knowledge, dedication and "money".

http://www.modelaengine.com/ (sign up for updates)

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11640

5. duste01

duste01

Boy, while I was out by the wayside, I almost missed an entire good thread. I was just thinking what the prospects would be to make some heads for my 21 stud, since no one makes them. What I don know now is I am seriously out-gunned. I will just go back to pearlizing my steering wheel.

6. [​IMG] Excellent, thanks. [​IMG]

7. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Have I considered one of Terry's blocks? yes I would like one. But can not use it for hill climbs. It has to be a original A, B or G28 block. You can use any after market head. For my class you can do what you want inside the engine. Which I have some ideas for my next engine.

8. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Very impressive George. Thank you for sharing.

9. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Well I did not get to take my speedster with the new head to the hill climb. Did not get all the bugs worked out in time. It is running fine now, will take it in the spring.
    I ended up taking my blue roadster with the olds 455 head. At practice it ran the best time it ever ran 9.33. But then I broke a crank at 5000 rpm. It bent a rod and broke one of my new pistons, bent the oil pan. but did not hurt the block. Have another crank all most done.

10. bct

bct

to bad....but to me it sounds like a whole bunch of fun....congrats on your best time

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is AWESOME!!! We need video! Nice work!

12. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

13. noboD

noboD

14. Mooseman

Mooseman

Thank you for bringing this thread to my attention, this is the kind of stuff that made me choose to become a machinist.

15. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer