Register now to get rid of these ads!

The making of a cylinder head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by George Miller, Aug 3, 2010.

1. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Do you have any drawings for the (very ambitious (we salute you)) project? You say push rods so it's at least an F head, or will it be an L head? Since it's billet how are you going to do cooling? Are you going to use a shaft mount for the rockers? I'll stop now but have about 20 more questions...

The prints are are mostly in my head It will have 8 ports 4 intake and 4 exhaust. Intake ports on one side, exhaust on the other side.

2. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

H&H Flatheads did something like this some years ago, with a modified Ardun Valve cover, only not like an Ardun Head. They also used Chevy running gear, and used two pieces on a CNC. What the article didn't mention and H&H said was secret, was how it would be sealed together and not leak. The heads @ MONKEYBIKER clearly have channels for some probably custom made silicone gaskets, which I know how to make, but I'm guessing there are other ways, and modern sealants in a bottle or tube that could do the trick. I'm following along with great interest George Miller, just as on one of my favorite shows "How It's Made." One of the ideas in the back of my mind would be a project with an old straight 8 with a Hemi head, how is that for dreaming big?

3. Hightone111

Hightone111

Makes that a +1

4. jpm49c

jpm49c

H&H Banger head was made by Norman Frick out of Colorado. He also made two piece Flathead heads. Frick heads just mated together with no gasket, at least the pair of Flatheads i had did. For more info on Frick type his name in the search box.

5. jpm49c

jpm49c

Norman Frick i stole off another Hamber post

Attached Files:

6. alterbob

alterbob
    from Butler,Pa.

Funny those head chambers look exactly like Briggs 5hp ones.

7. We need more threads like this.

George, you deserve the utmost respect.

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep, since 'why' questions are basically rhetorical, lame-brained for the most part, in this case it would be downright idiotic. :D

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

no drawings, freestyling machine work....

+2, getting good already.

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Just what the HAMB needs, something to replace all of the drama that seems to spread like wildfire. Might be interesting to see who DOESN'T post on this.............then take note of thier post count the next time they chime in with some worthless drivil.

Frank

11. jpm49c

jpm49c

Inside Norman Frick head. Another i stole off another Hamber which he took off the web.

Attached Files:

12. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

wow! yes!! I want to see this!

13. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Inside Norman Frick head. Another i stole off another Hamber which he took off the web.

That head looks like it was machined free hand the old way, like the way I'm going to do it. It looks to be a flat head.

14. roddinron

roddinron

True hot rod tradition, very cool.

15. ebtm3

ebtm3

Six hours and twenty seven minutes, since George said "if there is any interest"---and 74 posts. Wonder if there has been that much response in such a relatively short time before?

I have thought about this very thing numerous times in the past, and have a shop full of non cnc machines. My thinking over the years has drifted to a weldment, which would eliminate the joint at mid height. I am very interested, and hope you bury us in photos and details.

GO George, GO!!!

Herb Kephart

16. B Blue

B Blue

Can't wait to see how you do the free hand stuff. Personally, I have way too many "Aw shit!" moments to even contemplate such an undertaking.

Bill

17. I'll GLADLY add to the "PLEASE DO" list- looking forward to this thread!!!

18. el shad

el shad

My panties are still wet and it has been hours since I last loged on!!!! I cant wait for progress posts and pictures!! Will the rest of you naysayers please shut it, sit back, and learn something? Please? I guess if nothing else your shenanigising is keeping this thread on top, but besides that; shut up. God gave you two ears and only one mouth for a reason.

19. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Maybe ask Ed Winfield, Jocko Johnson or Stu Hilborn.

20. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Combustion chamber of the Frick "Ardun" banger head.

[​IMG]

Rocker shaft assy:

[​IMG]

21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Cool project. My buddy Dave Benjamin made the first 3-valve heads for a hemi and still runs a set of 3-valves on his altered and funnycar. I salute anyone with the gumption to build his own stuff. true hot rodding. Lippy:cool:

22. andreasklapp

andreasklapp

with you all the way. when they came up with the phrase "do it yourself", i don't think they meant buy it yourself. it takes some work to balance and dial in some parts, but it takes a lot more to make those parts. i'm hoping to get into some of this myself.

23. henry29

henry29

It's been 8 hours, are you done yet?

I can't wait to see your progress on this.

24. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Very Cool, and I thought I had BIG asperations on making my own side covers out of a piece of aluminum on my buddies Bridgeport.

Can't wait to see the progress.

25. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

26. TheDane

TheDane
    from Denmark

I totally agree, hotrodding according to me is building, adapting parts, constructing, thinking.

a fiberglass body on a new frame, finished with prefitted carpets and seats is a kit car, not a hotrod, and definaltly not true to the original idea of hot rodding.

Your heads kick ass, i am looking forward to the progress.

27. Oh Ya, Just give me a minute there is a puddle of drool on the desk. Need to see this I was thinking about making a head for my '41 chrysler straight 8 , so I will sit and watch mouth shut ears open....except for the occasional "pop".Rob.

28. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

jpm49c,

Those Norm Frick heads and pictures are mine.
    The material is 6061 billet, and can be welded together chemically with Goodson FW-88 Fluid weld...............an 8.8 oz. bottle is about $85.00, but you can use the smaller one for half the price. It works great and is what Norm uses on all of his two piece heads.
    Here are some closeup pictures of the chambers and undercut valve reliefs in the top of the chamber.................and the motor mocked up.

I certainly admire anyone who sets out to make his own head from scratch.

There was guy on the old Ford Barn site that modified a Chevy V8 head to go on the B motor, the same guy I bought my cowl patch panels from.

Good luck with the heads and keep the pictures coming................IMHO

Attached Files:

29. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Very interesting thread.

30. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

George,

The Norm Frick head is kind of done by hand on a old CNC....................but it gets the job done. Here is a little closer picture of my Norm Frick head.
    Can't wait to see the finished product!

Attached Files: