Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Mabee Special

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hollywood-East likes this.
  2. Like a young Johnny Dep!

3. Great entry this time around!!! I'd have pissed on myself to be given the chance to drive a fast car at 15. All I got was the chance to pull the station wagon out of the garage once in a while. Ho-hum...

It sounds like your friends the Mabees are a special group of enthusiasts and have had a lasting impact on your life. There have been a few folks like that in my life and I hope to become one of those to some fine rodders here as well; HambAndy comes to mind.

Thanks for the memories even if they aren't my personal ones.

4. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

great article and gorgeous car, the HAMB is an endless supply of education

AB Normal likes this.

5. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

It's a great looking car. Way ahead of it's time. Thanks for such an interesting article.

6. Sweet car, cool that the owner recognized her for what she was!

Man, what a way to grow up!!! Is your dad adopting? ;-)

7. Screw the fast cars, a P51 ride at 15!>?!>?!>?!>!>!

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Exciting and inspiring! And I agree, there's still stuff out there waiting to be rediscovered.
    Thanks Ryan!

9. Rand Man

Rand Man

That's a great story. Cool car; I wasn't aware of that part of the Shellby story.

10. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I used to work at Super Shops...

I had almost forgotten how gawd-awfull ugly that logo was... THanks. :) :) :)

11. WOW thanks for the history lesson right here in Midland.

12. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Talk about a brush with fame. You really knew the people that helped get Carrol Shelby jump start his career. How cool is that? I can't say that I've ever heard of a Victress, but it's got nice lines. Seems like a lot of good cars are showing up in Mexico!

The picture of you and you Dad is great. The phrase "hot shot" comes to mind. You can really tell that you were full of confidence and scared to death at the same time. And your Dad has a look of tempered concern like he knows you can do it, but mostly he's not sure he should let you. That's awesome to have a snapshot of such an important moment in both of ya'll lives.

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You at 15 and Nick32Vic at 15........could be twins.:D

You can certainly see where Carroll Shelby got his influence. I had never heard of the Victress either but I LOVE the lines.

14. Long lost love child?

15. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I think the last paragraph really says a lot about history. It's not all that often people realize they are making history as it happens unless it is something of grand scale like the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo missions. It is something that as a young man you did not even realize until you have grown older and reached deep back into your memory banks. I think it is funny when we were younger we thought we new it all, but now as I near 40 I'm still just a "dumb kid". Maybe thats why I always try to listen to our "senior" members since they have a lot more life experiences to draw from. Thanks for the great read.

Bill

16. It's amazing what you can find out when you take the time to talk to people....ask questions....listen.

There are so many stories right here within our membership.
    We can take a lot for granted because "It's just what we do".

Thanks for another great entry.

17. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Texas oil money has financed lots of history making projects. Its good to learn of another one.
    My son still tells me how he almost pee'd his pants when he was 15 and I let him take my 400 small block powered 65 Chevy II 2dr sedan down the dragstrip here at Lubbock the first time. He said 'but I dont even have a drivers liscense yet', i told him to put my helmet on and pull the face shield down and go for it. The starter saw me grinning from the sidelines after he launched and just shook his head.

18. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Oh my God that car is beautiful. The last picture on the salt is what dreams are made of.

19. roadracer

roadracer

That certainly is a good looking car. and very cobra-like too..

20. Lucky77

Lucky77

Great story and an awesome car!

21. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Love the shot of pubescent Ryan with adrenaline in his eyes!!

The Mabee specials have a very Devin feel to them... or vise versa. Remembering the 57' Devin SS my Pops and I took to Barrett Jackson in 06...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. T2Vracing

T2Vracing
    from Arivaca

There are alot of American Specials here on the HAMB. I notice in the archives there are alot of road race with rods kind of guys. I got lucky looking for a project when I found the Typhoon. Now I have a Sorrell Hemi and Frank Townsends last 421 Algon Pontiac 1964 USRRC that I tracked to Wheatland Wy. They are out there you just have to keep looking and talking to people. Follow the least likily leads etc.

Attached Files:

23. Man... that must have been fun! What had you driven up until that point?

I had only driven tractors and fun-karts at 15...

Sam.

24. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I think I gave that car a good looking over at the salt flats about 3-4 years ago. Was it the same car? I recall reading it went 200 in the early 50's which is beyond belief for the times. It wasnt racing, just on display and was the same color

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I still can't believe this car and story was so close and I was clueless about it... Boy, the Mabees are gonna get an earful of questions next time I get the chance!

mtkawboy, I bet that was the car...

Sam, I had driven a late model corvette or two and was pretty heavy into carting at that point... But I had never put my foot into anything nearly that serious before the day those photos were taken.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. metalshapes

metalshapes

Wow... Very cool...

27. wow......there are SO many inspiring elements and messages in that story, very cool....

Pay - It - Forward

Here's a gentleman who inspires and entrust's people to pursue their dreams, invests his faith in others, just to see them kick ass..... and kick ass they do.

There's a message in that for all of us, believe in ourselves, and believe in others...

Sorry for the sermon, but that ROCKS..

Cheers,

Drewfus:D

28. Spike!

Spike!

That was a great read!

29. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

at 15 I had a $200 67 VW bug on the side of the house in pieces you are one lucky guy.

30. manyolcars

manyolcars

We have the Mabee Welding shop in Longview Texas. I always thought that's funny. Mabee the weld will stick....