Register now to get rid of these ads!

The low Model A rear spring...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pasadenahotrod, Oct 26, 2007.

1. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

When I started in the old car hobby and then the business, the most desireable rear Model A rear spring was the A-5560-C low crown 7-leaf spring used under 28-31 Roadsters. Originals with original clamps have AC stamped in one of the clamps. An easy $75-100 any time you found one on a junk chassis or rearend or in a pile at a swap meet, and no end of customers. Now nobody even knows what I'm talking about.

Some other Model A spring stuff:

Tudor rear springs differ from all other because they do not have the reverse arch in the main leaf from the top crown to the spring eye. It is a straight line. These are 10-leaf springs with AA stamped into the original clamp.

8-Leaf springs with AB stamped into the spring clamp are found on Phaetons, Coupes, Sport COupe, Cabriolets and Victorias.

10-leaf springs with AD stamped clamp are found under Town, Sedans, Fordors of all styles and Sedan Deliveries.

10-leaf springs with AE stamped clamp are found under Panel Deliveries, Pickups(open and closed) and Station Wagons.

The only difference between the AD and AE springs is the #2 leaf which is .260-.270 thick on the AD spring and .300-.310 on the AE.

2. xadamx

xadamx

Very good to know...I am going to be springin' the '30 roadster pretty soon. Does that mean the roadsters sat a tad lower than the coupes? What kind of experience do you have with after market and/or new repro ones...say from Speedway or Sac. Vintage Ford?

3. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Damn good info,thanks for the post!!!!!!!

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The question is simple, what spring are they selling, do they show a specific application or just "Model A rear spring"?

5. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

www.a-spring.com is the only outfit I know of reproducing the roadster spring. Supposedly it's pretty close to original.

6. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

Great info.... I have about 5 model A rear springs and knew some of that info but not all... Thanks

7. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

8. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

HELP....Cannot get the a-spring site to open

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

great spring info. i thought something looked different about my tudor spring. comparitively to a fordor/ and coupe

10. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Sorry about that, guys, the word springs in that link has the s on the end. www.a-springs.com

11. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

THANKS

12. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Dean ..how much will the 7 leaf lower...over a say 10 leaf spring??

13. Great Post: Had no idea as to all the details!

I ordered a Model A spring for my 34 chassis ( quick change rear ) - from Posies. I received it last week -- opened up the box today. It is an 8 leaf spring, with a "Hollywood Roll and Taper" style -- with hidden poly buttons between the springs. I had to special order it as I wanted it to match my front spring.

Posies makes both a narrow and a wide Model A rear spring. I have no idea as to if they have different options for number of leafs. I will say, that they have been very professional on the phone, know what they're talking about and have great service. It is nice to order a custom part, be quoted a delivery timeframe and have the part arrive as promised ( without a call to chase them down ).

Posies has treated me very well -- woudl highly recommend them to anybody who is looking for a "new" spring for their rod.

Dale