Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The long process of finding a project car and adventures of the new guy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Apr 4, 2016.

1. thefalconer

thefalconer

Tman and volvobrynk like this.
  2. thefalconer

thefalconer

I just painted it. You can see the little brass fitting towards the back, that is where the hose from the pcv hooks up.

I am also from Illinois. And I'm going to torquefest, anybody else going?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. I was 17 so long ago, I think my birth certificate was chiseled in stone.
    1. Go to college, get your degree.
    2. While at college, discover all the workings of a woman. Share those findings with us, for we still do not understand women.
    3. When you have your degree, and a woman who likes hot rods, AND A GOOD PAYING JOB, get into the world of hot rodding.
    Notice I said nothing about kids.
    If you have kids, then the woman you married and the money from THE GOOD PAYING JOB all focus on the raising of the kids, which then puts your "world of hot rodding" back by a few decades.
    Been there, done that. :confused:

David Gersic likes this.
  4. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Does it matter where the hole is at? I thought i was supposed to run a line from the road draft hole with a baffle, to the back side of the carb. Maybe there's a few ways to do it

5. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Really nice color. I never really thought about painting a sbc anything besides chevy orange but metallic blue looks really cool too

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. thefalconer

thefalconer

There was a nice flat spot where it looked like a hole could have been put... idk exactly. You should make another post and somebody will see it and answer your question for sure. Otherwise it's buried under this threads title.

7. thefalconer

thefalconer

Thanks. It's basecoat/clear coat so I'm not sure how long it will last!

8. thefalconer

thefalconer

9. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Got bored tonight so i dry and wet sanded the old chevy orange off of my valve covers, or most of it. There was residue under the paint from a 195hp 283 decal so i know it was from a 283. Then i ordered some paint. Decided on 1959-65 pontiac blue. Going to hopefully get my junkyard engine this weekend.

What'cha got in there, kid?

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear about your college education. How many years? How long will you drag those chains like Jacob Marley when you're out? Sadly I've come to view college as a money scam these days. Tuition has risen like 400% in just under 10 years. But those thoughts gone, you may consider a hands-on technical craft like plumbing, pipe fitting, weldor/fabricator, even carpentry or electrician. Get paid to learn and potential of close to 6 figure income before 10 years goes by, and that's a conservative estimate. But here comes the best part, the trade or craft will be so closely related to this old car affliction it's hard to believe. I don't want to piss on your life's plan but we have less skilled trade ability in our work force than any time in the past. A good Union iron worker, plumber, electrician, makes big $$$$$$ in a short time and goes further in life than many degreed "professionals" these days. Lots of them have old cars and the jack to work on em. Do not take this out of context, do what your insides tell you, just offering a fast reliable way to secure a place in the work force that pays well immediately. And no 6 figure "mortgage" following you for the next 2 decades.

mkebaird, thefalconer, i.rant and 2 others like this.
  11. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

well, surprisingly i was looking on my local craigslist and found a 1959 corvette 283. it's complete but needs a rebuild and its only 20 minutes away. talked to the guy and i'm going to look at it saturday.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

so i talked to the guy again and it looks like this engine might be a no-go. he said he hand cranked it and it turned a little then stopped.

13. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

what could be some causes of the engine only turning a little bit? i'd like to go look at the engine but i don't want to waste my time either.

14. Turned then stopped, could be several reasons, hopefully nothing serous.
    I'd offer seller $100 for the mystery engine.
    Could be easy fix, or at worse, a nice pile of spare parts, that you could use, or onsell.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

he's asking 225. heck i'll go look at it and bring 150 with me. if he won't take 150, i don't take his engine.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Try to look down the cylinders by taking some plugs out in the least- the plugs can give you good info anyways.

17. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Thinking about it. Want to go. Finally got my 37 buttoned up and running again tonight. Still needs to be rewired, but that won't get done by Saturday, so I kinda don't want to start if I'm going to try to go to Dubuque.

thefalconer likes this.
  18. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

If he knows what's wrong with it, he doesn't want to fix it. Buy it cheap.

Or he doesn't know what's wrong with it, and afraid to find out. Buy it cheap.

Or walk away. An engine that won't turn is likely to need $s to fix.

19. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Saw an interesting car on my local craigslist today. 49 plymouth 5 window coupe. Running straight 6 and title for 800. Needs floors but otherwise solid. If only i was into mopars lol

20. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Well i called the guy whos selling the 63 oldsmobile back today and i'm looking at it again on tuesday. The car is complete and has been sitting since 87. The 394 olds turns over. Anyone know about 394s? Their quirks? Never worked on an olds but the car is complete with an almost mint interior

21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Not sure what your price range is, but here's a decent 57 Pontiac.
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/5539797217.html

And a rather rough 57 Chevy.
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/5531186991.html

And a not as rough 56 Chevy.
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/5531159180.html

This one is a ways away, but looks like a pretty solid 56 Ford.
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/5532509552.html

All of these have been listed for several weeks, at least, so perhaps the sellers will take less? Perhaps quite a bit less???

As has been mentioned, try to get the most solid car or truck possible. Dents are a lot easier to fix than rust.

22. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

[​IMG]here's the 63. I took this picture about a month ago. They guy says 1500 take it or leave it. Really neat car but i just dont know if it's worth 1500. The master cylinder was empty... So brakes all around, a new hood since the old one rusted through, wheels and tires at least.

23. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Also, went to a yard on saturday. Found some neat stuff but nothing i wanted. Early 50s ford sedan with the back end chopped off, 56 desoto missing the tail light bezels, couple of corvairs, 60s gm cars, 61 buick, and a burned out 46ish merc. Complete minus the flattie ;) pretty sure the 50s ford had a y block but im not a ford guy so im not sure. Neat yard but no 327 or 283.

24. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Thanks. Yeah my budget is as cheap as possible. I'd like to get a car for under 2500 and then work my way up from there. I've been trying to find a late 50s gm 2 door with no luck. I guess ill keep saving lol

25. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Just noticed that the 56 and 57 Chevys are owned by the same guy. Same phone number, and the right rear 1/4 of the 57 is visible in one of the 56 Chevy photos. Just keep looking, and saving. The right one will show, sooner or later.

Also, I wouldn't discount a 4 door. Especially a 56 or 57 Chevy / Pontiac 4 door hard top. They have one of the best roof lines, ever. 59 and 60 GM four door hard tops are cool, too. 57 Sport Sedan Jr Stocker 2.jpg 1960 Impala Dr. Side.JPG

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  26. Not to Hijack this thread but I have to agree with you here. Ive been out of High school for a year and a half, working as an electrician. I live on my own independently and building a flathead powered real steel roadster. Im not even old enough to drink legally. Just like you said, I get paid to learn and my company sends me to school on their dime. So any young guys reading this; consider a skilled trade! Anyways, sorry to derail this thread!

27. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I read through all the posts here, and was surprised to hear so many guys advising you to forget about cars, and concentrate on college and women. If you're truly a "car guy" nothing will get in the way of having a cool one. You just HAVE to have one!
    I built this 57 when I was going to Rutgers, using any available money after buying gas and books ( I did have a student loan, so paying that came later) I worked almost full time hours at a Burger King, they loved me, because I was over 18 and could close the store. Summers I really got ahead by working in a chemical co. and making twice as much as the burger joint. If you really want something bad enough, you'll find a way to do it. I'd also work on cars on the weekends for extra car money. I did this seriously nice, and fast car working part time. mark s_ragtop.jpg
    What helped me the most in building this, is that I was wiling to work, and do anything to get parts, money, paint, for the car. Also, I make a lot of good contacts/friends, while doing so. I helped out the best body/paint guy in the area after school, if I wasn't working, and learned a lot. Also was able to use the shop, and he'd help me, at night. I made friends with the local, slightly older car guys, and helped them, and they helped me. I was lucky enough to find a couple local hot rod brothers, who I paid to do some work on my car, and later helped them out a few times, with bodywork and paint, and soon traded off labor I couldn't do.
    What I'm saying, in my long winded way, is that you can do it, if you want it bad enough. Keep trying. Don't give up. Help other car guys, do brake jobs, tune ups, in your spare time, instead of watching football or drinking with your buddies. Instead of going on vacations, spring break, work on your car, or make money to put into it.
    The only other advice would be to get a cheap to run, reliable transportation vehicle. That way you don't spend free time working on IT, instead of your project. Buy a project in the best shape, and most complete, your budget allows. And quit worrying (and spending) about a Chevy engine, before you even have a car to put it in! You never know what's going to cross your path, You might end up with a good running Ford or Mopar. When you're on a budget, you take what you can get!

28. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I'm probably going to keep working at busch stadium for a while longer before buying anything. Its almost double what i was making at a burger joint. I have that job for every summer so i'll come back every year and have car money. I should have enough half way through this summer to buy something decent

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good for you "kid"! And don't take the kid thing negative. You'll wish you were still that sooner than later! How much of your skill, aside from money, has given you insight on the hot rod? I'm thinking more than you thought it would, more than others might think too. Nice to see it working out for a member of the new generation. Happy for ya...

30. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

So if i buy the oldsmobile its gonna need brake work since the master cylinder is empty. I've only done pads before not actually a complete brake job. How expensive would it be for me to put in new brake lines and pads? Or would i need to do more than that?