Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The long process of finding a project car and adventures of the new guy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Apr 4, 2016.

1. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

man, bummer. looked at the 2 57s this weekend, had cash in hand and was ready to buy. Damn they were rough. The pics didn't look all that bad but when i got there... red car was basically scrap metal. Had a good dash but every other panel was bent or rusted through. The blue car, the floor was completely separated from the body due to rust, and the a pillars were about to rust through. The left quarter panel was flimsy like foil. I think there was more rust than metal on that car. Really a bummer because I thought i'd finally found something worth buying. By the time I would have spent all the money to have the rust fixed i could have bought a restored car.

2. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Question, is there some kind of inner bolt on brace behind tri five quarter panels? or do they just get that weak with rust? i mean i could move the quarter panel on left side back and forth just by hand and it didn't feel rigid at all.

3. Ha, it's amazing how that big panel is just ''there''. No braces.
    Some tri 5s have the radiator brace cut out for engine swaps. Makes 'em very ''wiggly''.

Doctorterry likes this.
  4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Just keep "Banking" money till something jumps out at you.
    You will be able to afford something better and if you get a great deal then the extra money can get you started.

Torkwrench likes this.
  5. Nothing worthwhile is easy.

6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

clunker, low budget and RMONTY like this.
  7. Or heck, pineapple, this one is right in your area, clean title, V8, right now:
    [​IMG]
    I'll bet you could get that for a few plastic milk containers full of moonshine and a gift certificate to Walmarts

8. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Man, i guess my tastes change over time, right now 58s aren't doing much for me, id much rather own a 57. Funny how that works. Now im kicking myself for not going and getting that 2 dr hard too 210 for 2 grand because i was too picky and wanted a 58

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clunker likes this.
  9. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Its all part of the process:cool:

10. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Alright so, how hard is it to put in full floor pans? I've never even touched a welder but i have a friend who has one of those gasless deals. I'm really thinking i should go back and get both cars, and just slowly do the work myself. The same friend's wife just wrecked their 86 caprice, and he told me the drivetrain is mine if i find something to put it in. So free smallblock and tranny, other misc parts.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. Floors are the best thing to practice on, because they are usually a thicker gauge metal and they do not have to be perfect for a driver, just good and strong. But...when there is floor rust, there is usually other rust in the body.

12. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

What should i look for besides just the floor area? I mean if a car has no floor left is there any chance in actually using the body?

13. I am not familiar with those cars, however, I would imagine they can rot in the rockers, body mounts, frame, I know tri fives can rot in the roof (right about drip rails), look around front and rear window openings, lower cowl, doors, fenders at bottom and above headlights, quarters especially inner structure...some is no big deal, some makes it a can of worms. Just crawl all over it, don't be afraid to get down and crawl under it. You don't want to notice stuff like that after you've bought it (been there). If it truly is mainly just floor rot, that's a big job but nothing an average guy couldn't tackle.

14. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

By this time tomorrow there could be a 57 4 dr hard top in my driveway. It's an old drag car, 327 with 4 speed last plated in '74. Theres a push bumper on the front with a 55 ish buick grille. Chrome reverse steel wheels and a shaved hood. I made an offer but the ladya husband is out of town so she has to talk to him.

It's beat and has no interior and the tires are flat and instead of paint it has moss but its too cool not to buy

15. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Well i have a flat bed picking up the car tomorrow at 10:30. I'm ecstatic! Over a 2 year search is almost over. Sure its a 4 door but it's got a drag strip past so i couldn't pass. At least its a hardtop not just a sedan

16. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

And not a single picture, bull

17. Awesome, right on. Post pics when the flatbed shows up. Sounds cool.

chryslerfan55 and triman62 like this.
  18. No effin' way you actually bought something and don't have a picture.

triman62 and enloe like this.
  19. ''Just a sedan''. Harrumph.

enloe likes this.
  20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

This is the first one I think of, Not the coolest pic Ive seen of it but cool and the first one I could find of it.
    upload_2017-7-13_21-26-3.jpeg
    A full congrats will be in order when pics are up;)

chryslerfan55, triman62 and slv63 like this.
  21. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This is one of the rare cases where the car is actually nicer in person. It's actually pretty solid but it has a ton of crap growing on it.

22. I knew we could get you to post a pic!
    Bel Air 4 drht. Looks like it had the optional lower trunk trim. Glass ok, what color was it? The ''V" on the trunk looks short, like from a '56.

chryslerfan55 and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  23. RMONTY

RMONTY

The next pics should be of it all power washed and scuffed (use some Comet!) with a walk around video of it.... congrats!

triman62 and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  24. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

And so the build begins, glad you found a car. Looks like a good place to start, congratulations.

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  25. ... Looks like a '57 Buick grille in it ... Congrats on finally getting your car! ...

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  26. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Thanks guys! I'm really stoked because as i said it has some history on the track. Meeting the flatbed guy in an hour and then i'll get down to business. A squirrel will have to lose its trunk home unfortunately. The car has a "327" if thats what it is i dont know but i'm assuming i should pull the plugs and spray oil in? I didnt even see if it turns over yesterday, but it does look like a built up 1959 or later small block

Chrisbcritter likes this.
  27. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

With the amount of crap growing on it, i'm sure i'll use at least one can of comet lol

28. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Was originally coral (the color you have to admit is cool even if its pink) and white roof. It has manual everything but has radio and clock, and yes it had all the trim you could get back then. Someone had a cruiser

chevy57dude and B Bay Barn like this.
  29. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Oh yeah, i dont know if it was an option or standard for 57, or if its an add on but theres an overdrive lever under the steering wheel

chevy57dude likes this.