Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The long process of finding a project car and adventures of the new guy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Apr 4, 2016.

1. ... the '57 looks like it could be a money pit IMO ... I know what seems like numerous missed opportunities and overpriced rust buckets is frustrating ... there's a '58 out there with your name on it somewhere! ... I guess what I mean is if you can be patient ... the wait will be worth it and so rewarding when you do finally find the car that was meant to be yours! ...

2. My 55 wagon was worse than that 57 when I bought it. I used a 4 door sedan as a parts car to fix it. You cant go wrong on a tri 5 chevy. Almost every part is reproduced. There are ready willing and able buyers for them any day of the week if something happens any you decide to sell them. I owned a 58 impala, I never liked the x frame & coil spring rearends. The tri fives its simple to swap the complete rear ends. I know a guy who spent money restoring a pink 58 edsel 4 door HTP. Now he needs to sell. And there aint any buyers wanting it for even half of what he spent. If it was a coral 57 chevy 4 door HTP he likely could sell it in a heartbeat and not lose a penny. Do this buy a Tri 5 chevy fix it up. and if afterwards you still lust after a 58 trade your Tri Five for a 58 and draw boot.

3. Ok in 2007 I paid $150 for my55 -150 two door wagon in about the same cond as the 57. Paid $130 for a 4 door sedan. I used the front cap steering collum all the suspension & brakes from the 4 dr. used the clutch pedals and linkage also. I installed a engine I had and used the clutch flywheel & starter from a 66 chevy truck. Also used the truck transmission. Bought a tri five V8 bellhousing for $50. Bought a wrecked 4 door wagon for $100 to get the rear liftgate glass. Used a hurst mystery shifter from my hoard on the trans. Threw it all together. And had a guy from florida lay 65 one hundred bills on the hood trying to buy it. I told him I had so little money in the car I could afford to keep it. To date I have about $1000 in my 55.

4. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

See that's what draws me to it. Its so cheap for a 57, that it's hard to pass up. I can go buy that car and not worry about having money to live. Only thing is i dont know how long it would take to make it a driver, as i've never even worked on a car in that condition.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Dude, you have been pissin' around for, like, ever.
    What's your budget? Real life actual dollar amount you can put down on a driver, or close to it. Absolute best thing you can possibly do. That's based on how slow and careful you are. Take that for the compliment it is. Get something you can drive and work on. Unless you have a hellacious support group. You will enjoy the hobby more that way, bet on it.

6. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't be offended but as long as you have been looking you should have saved up another $1k by now.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    kiwijeff likes this.
  7. One thing about that 57 you can see exactly what it needs. There isn't any body filler and chicken wire hiding under cheep paint or a heavy coat of primer. Buy the 57 buy a good wire welder and a four door parts car. If you haven't got money you have to invest time and your own labor. Well my beer break is over Im going back and work on my 55 some more today.

8. Perfect opportunity to learn how to weld, Pineapple

9. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I'd low ball him a little but bring it home regardless.. I think thats a decent deal for a '57... of course that's judging off what I can see.. assuming the other side looks like the drivers side. Does it need floors?

10. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Hold out for something that you can drive home.

chevy57dude and 1935streetrod like this.
  11. henry29

henry29

There are a few more pics of the car i n the original ad, the floors look pretty rusty and the door skins are rusted along the bottom and pulled away from the door frames. The car looks like it's been sitting in the same spot for a long time.
    If it had a good title I'd probably still drag it home though.

Do you have the space to store or build a car?

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

13. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

treb11 likes this.
  14. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I have a cramped, one car garage that has enough room to store a car, most of the work would have to be done outside though.

15. henry29

henry29

That car is listed as having a clean title, and has all 4 wheels on it so it should be easy to roll in and out to work on. As cheap as it is I'd buy it and a good welder, patch panels are cheap for these cars.

16. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I could have bought so many of these cars i've looked at, so cheap, but the problem is i don't know a damn thing about welding. Haven't touched a welder in my life. I've looked into electric ones because i don't want to have to deal with gas, but even so i don't know anything about it.

17. There are lots of U tube videos showing how to install Patch panels. And they can be glued in place. The equiptment needed to do the glue jobs correctly will cost about the same as a wire welder. The glue does work. Many of the newer vehicles the door hinges are glued to the cowl. But a welder is much more handy. Ive bought a Lincoln with the gas attachment. However ive used the hollow core wire with good results.

1959Nomad likes this.
  18. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

A basic MIG welder is the way to go if you can swing it.
    As far as the gas, i modified mine to take a larger tank, and keep a spare.
    It seems to only run out after hours for the welding supply store:cool:

19. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Has anyone used the gasless welders for body repair? Floors, quarter pannels etc?

20. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, we did the floors in our '58 that way. If you are still looking for a '58, hit me up with a PM.

21. If you truly want a 58' don't settle. If you can't find one, call Doug Russell Marine on rt. 20 in Worcester Mass. he has all the parts and about 100 58's behind his boat store/ shop. I'm sure he has something he will part with.

22. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I'll put it this way. I will own a 58 at some point in my life, but if a nice cheap tri five comes along, i'm going to jump on it. I wouldn't mind any 55-59 2 door

23. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Setting up a time to go look at this. The guy is asking a very good price for a 57, with title and parts car and extra frame. I could sell the parts body to build the titled 150. Blue one is the title car. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The 150 obviously needs some floor work, but for the price he's asking i'm going to really try hard to get these cars. I dont have room to keep both so the red one would have to be flipped quickly. Neither car has motor or tranny either.

koolkemp likes this.
  24. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

1959Nomad and koolkemp like this.
  25. koolkemp

koolkemp

Those 57's would be 3-5 thousand each here where I live. I hope you get them, I love the 150's .

26. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Me too. 150s, delrays, and biscaynes are the coolest. And yeah all i'm gonna say about price is its a very good deal :p

koolkemp likes this.
  27. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Figures. Just as i make plans to go look at these 57s, a 58 pops up on my local CL.

28. henry29

henry29

Any pics of the 58?

29. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

It's a bit too rough for the price he's asking in my opinion, and a bit too much rust for me. But here you go. [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

30. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Strip it out and build like an old Junior Stock Race car