Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The long process of finding a project car and adventures of the new guy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Apr 4, 2016.

1. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Question about 58 model chevies. So there was biscayne and delray as lower priced models but what's the difference? The side trim obviously but to me it looks like the biscayne has the same side trim as the delray but with an added piece.

What'cha got in there, kid?

2. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

so i got a text from the guy who owned the black 58 chevy that i regret not buying... he still has it and he has put some work into it :) he's still willing to part with it so when i go home from school next weekend hopefully i can go look at it again and make a final decision.

3. Nice! IMG_1475012665.749291.jpg

4. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

well, it's a very rough car though so it's going to be a lot of work.

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

In 1958, Delray was the "value leader," followed by Biscayne, which was the mid-range model, and Bel-Air, which was the top-of-the-line model. In 1958, the Bel-Air line-up included the Impala option, which, even though the body was completely different, was still considered a Bel-Air by Chevrolet. In 1959, the Impala then became a separate model line (and top-of-the-line) and Bel-Air became the mid-range model and Biscayne the bottom model.

Chevrolet did the same thing again in 1965 when they introduced the Caprice option on Impalas. For '65 only, the Caprice package was officially an Impala option (available only on 4 dr hdtps). In 1966, Caprice became it's own model and became the top-of-the-line and Impala dropped a notch.

6. Cool. Nothing gotten easily is worth having. It will be awesome when it's all done.

7. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

it might just be too rough. it's been so long since i looked at it

8. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

It's always a tough choice to make with these cars because i dont know when i'm next going to see one for sale.

9. Check that frame when you do. If it's rusted through, figure the rest of the car is ''soft'', too.[​IMG]
    Photo for viewing enjoyment.

triman62 and 1959Nomad like this.
  10. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Even so,you may want to wait for something a little more solid or reasonably priced.
    "Fast and wrong is seldom helpful"

11. Best thing to do is stop looking after you buy something. You have a lot more patience than me kid

12. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It stills seems odd to me that someone would set their heart on "either a 58 or a 59" because they are so different. One of them I would love to own and one I wouldn't take for free.

13. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Yeah i know they are really different but both those are 2 of my all time favorite cars and they just happen to be very different yet similar

14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    triman62 and clunker like this.
  15. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Wow. That looks like the perfect car for me. If i wasnt so busy with school right now i would make the trip. 4 hours away and it already has a 327 and 4 speed maybe on fall break

clunker likes this.
  16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Dont think it will last long but I could be wrong, It was only listed today.

17. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

gone:(....oh well, that just opens you back up for the next one;)

18. triman62

triman62

Richard Rawlings might have bought it, probably doing donuts in it right now.

19. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

the guy who bought the blue delray can't seem to sell it lol. He gave me a very good price on the car but i don't have it right now.

20. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

not the above delray but the one from a couple months ago

21. IMG_1475672333.512401.jpg

This one? Did you buy it or are you just entertaining the offer?

22. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I wish i would have bought it. But no theres another guy who bought it and is trying to flip it and cant get rid of it. He gave me a very good and fair price but i cant afford it right now

clunker likes this.
  23. Suthunman

Suthunman

Save your money and buy the best car you can. You will be way ahead.

24. X2

25. My very first car, in 1957, was a 1953 Buick Special, 2 door hardtop. Straight 8, Dynaflow.
    In my junior year in high school, I went to the local wrecking yard, wanted to buy a COMPLETE stick shift conversion.
    This included the 3 speed tranny, flywheel, clutch, steering column, linkage,etc., all the goodies to convert it over.
    $50.00 was the total price, back then, but the wrecking yard guy (Phil) would NOT sell me the parts, unless my Dad approved. LOL.
    Brought Dad to the wrecking yard, he gave his blessings, then the wrecking yard guy stripped the parts off the wrecked Buick.
    3 on the tree, with a straight 8 !
    It was a blast to drive, could get a tweek of rubber out of 2nd gear ...... sometimes.
    Coil springs were on all 4 corners, lowered the car, decked it, added an electric trunk solenoid, painted it dark blue with a white/light blue interior, added FoxCraft flared skirts, then added full spun aluminum wheel covers.
    Kept the car for 4 or 5 years, until midway through college.
    Will never forget my '53 Buick.
    Wish I still had it. :)

26. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Wrecking yard guy sounds like a stand up guy,not willing to take a chance on unknowingly taking advantage of a youngin;)
    I remember when I was about 15 or so at this old guys junkyard and I spied a 2 door post 56 chevy:eek:
    Me=How much would you take for the 56 chevy?
    Grumpy old guy yard owner=Got any money?
    Me=Uh, No but I can get some:rolleyes:
    Grumpy old guy=Well come back when you get some...
    Me=:mad:
    Looking back its funny:D
    ...today, I get the whole fed up yard owner thing but I dont think its mandatory to be a butt hole just because you are a yard owner. A older guy yard owner right down the road from the one mentioned was as nice as could be and I dealt with him a few times.....bought a running driving 67 plymouth satelite off him for I believe 175 dollars, then bought a needed quarter panel off a 66 to go on it for 40........tons of stuff in both yards I would love to have today:cool:

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  27. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

well, i've been busy with school but today the guy who bought the 58 put it on craigslist for 3500. so i called him and he wants it gone and 3500 is a loss for him. but i made an appointment to go see it Friday so we'll see how it goes. he told me it has a 350 and has a decent body but needs trunk and floor work but does run and drive. excited

28. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Was scheduled to go look at the car Friday. Forgot to get $$ from the bank and then it was veterans day. Sh*t. So i call the guy and no answer. Left him a message but no call back. Car was gone off craigslist the next day.

29. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I also went to a swap this weekend and some guy told me to take a box he had for $5. $5 more and he'd throw in some other stuff. So i ended up with 2 sbc oil pans, pair of 60s-70s factory valve covers(with breathers), a dust cover and a 2 barrel intake all for $10. Probably wont ever use the 2 bbl but for $5 i couldnt pass it by