Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Local Survivor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2017.

1. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Falcons are great. I have 6 of them.........

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

114 is a solid 11 second MPH in a car that hooks and leaves hard, that 289 is really making good power.

3. VTjunk

VTjunk

Yeah, it's funny, it's alway had a higher mph than the ET indicates, probably because of the way I baby it. The guys ground the cam for a 4 spd street car, they did good

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes, if you are A) leaving gently or B) the converter is a little tight for the combo, C) it doesn't dead hook, or D) its undergeared, the et will be a little soft relative to the MPH. The MPH is a good indicator of HP, 114@ what, probably 2900lbs?I would guess you are over 400 hp at the flywheel, that's pretty solid for a streetable 289.
    I have a pair of '65 factory 4 speed project cars, I was originally going to build a 331 around a 302 block I have here. I have a 289 and Edelbrock XF-8 I was going to use for another project, but those plans changed, lately I have been thinking about putting the 289 in one of the '65s. I have a wide ratio toploader and a dimple back 9" for that car as well.
    I like the 14" raders on the front of your car. I have a pair of 14x6 Fenton Hustlers for the front of mine, and 4 piston KH discs.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I held off on posting this one because I know I have an old photo from back in the day somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can find it, so I'm just gonna go ahead and post the current photos. This car was built in Victoria BC back in the late fifties, was restored recently, but it does have a modern Ford rear in it now, and the paint is different. I shot these pics at Deuce days, in front of my hotel.
    DSCF0307[1].jpg DSCF0308[1].jpg DSCF0309[1].jpg DSCF0311[1].jpg

brad2v likes this.
  6. Most regulars on the HAMB know this car well, but in case some haven't seen it... Here's my Local Survivor - built 1960 -62, parked in a garage in 1970 due to failing gearbox & stayed in a garage untouched for 44 years until 2014 when I was able to purchase it & carefully bring it back to life, still sports the "original to build" paint, interior, suspension, engine etc ... & I have logged over 3500 miles in the past 2 seasons it has been back on the road.

Oldest Photo I have from 1967
    restored_beach.jpg

Just before it was parked the 3rd owner used it in his wedding photos in 1970 (this is the picture that I was shown almost 4 years before I was able to see the actual car.. this photo haunted me !)

mantle_picture.jpg

Just after being pulled out of it's "tomb" in 2014

snoopy_04.jpg

And how it looks today...

20160609_205337.jpg

kkarlsrud, brad2v and falcongeorge like this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

This car doesn't really qualify because it wasn't always a hot rod, but it was always local. The "B" was built new in Des Moines (about 60 miles away), and we can trace the ownership back to the 50's here in Marshalltown. A bodyshop owner named Ed Ridenour had it and drove it everyday. Ol timers around still remember him using the car regularly. Eventually though he thought it looked too scruffy for a bodyshop owner to use (needed to look nicer as an example of their work). He had one of his guys begin to sand the rough spots and primered in some of them, and then the project was never finished, so it sat in the back corner of the shop. The engine was pulled for a rebuild too, but never fully reinstalled.

A local hot rodder named Bud Otte bought the car from Ridenour around 1973ish, and he was going to save it for "some day". Many other hot rod projects were built in the meantime, but he also never got to this sedan. He passed away in 2000, and my Dad bought it from his widow. After sitting a couple years my Dad, brothers, and I decided we'd get it going. In went a running flathead that was sitting unused, and some hydraulic brakes, as well as anything else need to make it go. No real cleaning or paint happened though.

I've owned it for a few years now and don't plan on changing it any.

DSCN6342.JPG

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    rod1 and bowie like this.
  8. There was a great write up on this one in Canadian Hot Rods Magazine, nice car.

falcongeorge likes this.