Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Lions Dragstrip Museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C0ra1l1, Mar 21, 2020.

1. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

During these days of social distancing I browsed through the photos taken on our holiday this winter. The collection is outstanding, the murals on the walls and replica shops are beautiful. I visited the museum in Del Amo just two days before the GNRS. The pics are in random order and this is just an excerpt from the vast collection. If you ever have a chance, the museum is truly worth the trip. 1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  2. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

3. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

4. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

5. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

6. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

7. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

8. uncle buck

uncle buck

Looks like they have done a wonderful job putting the museum together

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

41 GMC K-18, kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

10. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Thanks for the pictures. I went there twice back in the 1960's when we were there for the Winternationals. Go to Pomona during the day and out to Lyons late in the afternoon.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

Hey C,
    As they move around the big screen TV monitor showing old, drag racing films to different parts of the Lions Museum and Automobilia sections, where did they put the final location of that screen? Is it next to the LB Grand Prix area with the seating or next to the Chrisman Sedan? Or, in the early 60s drag racing section of the museum corner, near the memorial wall?

Thanks,
    Jnaki

GREAT PHOTOS...
    Like all other gathering spots, these photos will have to do for the present time. Since it is permanently closed, due to the "social gathering" circumstances until further notice.

12. 2935ford

2935ford

Very cool! :)

Deuces likes this.
  13. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Thank you for sharing!

14. J_J2

J_J2

I worked at a Hertz Equipment Rental at Alameda and 223rd for a couple of years, little did I know that was Lions Dragstrip, the track and shut down area are still there bit its now a Santa Fe Railroad yard.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Thanks for the great pics. Looks like a good place to visit when they reopen.

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Thanks for the coverage.....real nice stuff there......great pics !

17. mickeyc

mickeyc

Your photographic coverage is better and more
    complete than the coverage effort in the last Hot Rod
    Deluxe I bought. Literally the last it seems. Good job.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Beautiful photography work, thanks for sharing! The museum has an incredible collection of material and the sets look to be professionally done. Absolute heaven. Have to place it on my must do list!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

To Jnaki's question: didn't notice any big screen TV turned on around, so I don't know the final location of that monitor. The only screens I had the opportunity to stare at DSC01813.JPG were like this...

20. Thanks for sharing, hopefully I can see all that in person sometime in the future. Have visited NHRA museum and Garlits couple times so this is a must in the "to do" list.

Special Ed and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is exactly what I needed this morning! Thank you.

22. Thanks for the pictures. Although my health precludes my going to the museum, I would love to have the museum on my bucket list.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. Anyone who ever spent one, or multiple Saturday nights at "the Beach" really needs to go there and soak in the experience. I went to the grand opening in 2019 and it was pretty crowded but well worth the effort. The "mural team", lead by Kenny Youngblood, really outdid themselves. The ambiance with the bridge, the race cars underneath, and the tower with grandstands and ambulance really take you back, like seeing a long lost friend you haven't seen since '72.

chryslerfan55 and Special Ed like this.
  24. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

The episode called “Who Won” on Adam 12 about drag racing was shot at Lions. It’s on today at 5:00 EST on MeTv if you haven’t seen it before.

25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-3-9_4-30-0.png

Hello,

In all of the times I have been at the Lion’s Dragstrip Museum since 2017 set up days to the set up days in 2019, it always brings back a chill up the spine while walking around by myself looking at everything. It never gets old. The old saying: “I could live there…” rings true. It brings back memories from being little kids seeing Lion’s Dragstrip for the first time while sitting on a railroad berm across the farmer’s field in 1955-56.

Your photos are some of the best and each time I see them, I keep seeing something I did not see the first time. On the starting line spectator photo. In the upper left, is a painting of what looks like my brother with his glasses and his friends. He always wore glasses and when he went outside, he had prescription sunglasses so he could see everything. The funny thing is, he did not like sitting down close to the action, but to be on the top row looking down at the racers and their racecars. So, it could have been, since the yellow overhead timing tower was in the later years until closing down the dragstrip.

Thanks for the great photos,

Jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/saturday-art-show-prints-various-artwork-automotive-related.1212188/page-6#post-13975670

Here is a story about one of the talented artists that created the murals at the Lion’s Dragstrip museum. Right below the above photo and to the left is one of her creations.
    upload_2021-3-9_4-31-35.png
    Albertson Olds 1960 Lions Dragstrip Leonard Harris

26. Now that was an unbeatable combination. ^

Ron Funkhouser and jnaki like this.
  27. SPEC

SPEC

Great pictures!